Disgusted with the Biden administration

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 2:41 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Who’s the guy in the chair supposed to be?  Do you think he’s a bank?  Banks aren’t eating $.01 of this.  They’ll be paid in full by Uncle Joe (using taxpayer funds).

They only loaned it bc it was backed by the government. Take that away and most poor people aren’t going to college. But cool cartoon. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 3:19 PM
posted by iclfan2

They only loaned it bc it was backed by the government. Take that away and most poor people aren’t going to college. But cool cartoon.

I don't think Biden could [or did] cancel private loans.  These are federal loans issued by the govt.  It's literally money from the taxpayer that Biden has now unilaterally decided won't be paid back.

Imagine what would happen if the govt decided to default on even a fraction of the $30T in debt it has issued.

But why stop there?  What about the trillions in mortgages held by GNMA and FMAC?

gut Senior Member
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 3:43 PM

I've also been noticing how college tuition has become highly progressive, meaning middle class folks were already subsidizing lower income students.  At OSU, for example, a family making $110k+ pays on average almost double what a family making $48-$75k does.  If your family made less than $30k, your tuition and fees are basically free and you end-up paying about 60% of your room & board.

And if you saved up for years to pay full boat for your kid's college, then this is a double kick to the nuts.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 6:15 PM
posted by gut

But why stop there?  What about the trillions in mortgages held by GNMA and FMAC?

We know the answer.  It's politically motivated.  It has nothing to do with helping anyone except themselves.  They have calculated that this demographic will harvest the greatest amount of votes.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 6:55 PM
posted by majorspark

We know the answer.  It's politically motivated.  It has nothing to do with helping anyone except themselves.  They have calculated that this demographic will harvest the greatest amount of votes.

And if the courts block it, the Dems will be doing cartwheels as another arrow in their quiver to pack the SCOTUS.

It's pretty damn calculated.  Will give them a boost this cycle because it will be months before it gets to the courts.  And then if Biden does get reversed they'll all campaign on it in 2024.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Aug 28, 2022 4:08 AM

From what I read it is only for undergraduate loans 

Sun, Aug 28, 2022 1:21 PM
posted by geeblock

From what I read it is only for undergraduate loans 

Don’t think that’s accurate.

Sun, Aug 28, 2022 6:08 PM

This is normal. As is wearing masks outside. Geriatric clowns.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 28, 2022 9:07 PM

Vladimir Putin is justifying the razing of cities and the killing of 10's of thousands of people claiming their "brothers" need "denazification". So what to do with the millions of "semi-fascists" we have running around this country?  The actions maybe different but the mindset is the same.

geeblock Member
Sun, Aug 28, 2022 9:46 PM
posted by iclfan2

Don’t think that’s accurate.

U also think these loans are going to people studying gender equity or whatever u call it 

Sun, Aug 28, 2022 9:56 PM
posted by geeblock

U also think these loans are going to people studying gender equity or whatever u call it 

They’re going to all sorts of dumbass degrees, no? So you were wrong, and then tried to change the subject. Losers with trash degrees shouldn’t get government subsidies. Do better as an educator.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 28, 2022 11:25 PM

I’d be interested to see the numbers on these degrees you keep railing on. 

geeblock Member
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 8:11 AM
posted by iclfan2

They’re going to all sorts of dumbass degrees, no? So you were wrong, and then tried to change the subject. Losers with trash degrees shouldn’t get government subsidies. Do better as an educator.

Plenty I can assure you are going to teachers 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 9:17 AM
posted by geeblock

Plenty I can assure you are going to teachers 

I’m sure you’re right and there probably many other promising degrees covered.  The problem is that there is no criteria in who gets the freebie - someone who has a good degree and prospects, or someone who fucked around, got a worthless degree or doesn’t give a shit about finding a good job.  Just as you have anecdotal evidence of the teaching degrees, I have plenty of anecdotal evidence of these bullshit segments that are getting a free ride on everyone else’s dime with zero incentive to alter their course.  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 9:36 AM

The better option was making college free vs forgiving loans that people took with the terms and interest rate set prior. We provide "free" education k-12, with the option for private/independent for an even better education. The same can be true for college. Make a few community colleges or even a stat university free for residents in the state. Keep 95% of colleges as "pay" for an even better education.

Mon, Aug 29, 2022 10:09 AM
posted by Laley23

The better option was making college free vs forgiving loans that people took with the terms and interest rate set prior. We provide "free" education k-12, with the option for private/independent for an even better education. The same can be true for college. Make a few community colleges or even a stat university free for residents in the state. Keep 95% of colleges as "pay" for an even better education.

How do you fix places like Ohio State which has gone all in branding and football to up its admissions in order to attract out of staters to an education that is not measurably better than the same one it offered 25 years ago?  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 11:32 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

How do you fix places like Ohio State which has gone all in branding and football to up its admissions in order to attract out of staters to an education that is not measurably better than the same one it offered 25 years ago?  

Free Market will force them to stop charging as much. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 2:05 PM
posted by Laley23

Wasn't that the whole point of community colleges?  I am sure a lot has changed in over 12 years, but I did a summer internship in LA.  Instead of earning credit through Miami, I did it through Sinclair Community College, because the cost was about 90% less.  I recall looking at their tuition rates at the time, and they were extremely low for the local population.  Obviously I could check now to see if this is true, but I am too lazy.  Point is, I thought this is what community colleges were for. 

Mon, Aug 29, 2022 3:19 PM
posted by Laley23

Free Market will force them to stop charging as much. 

It's not a free market if it is subsidized like it is.  Maybe your solution would drive this.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 30, 2022 2:03 PM

Gropey Joe going on national TV tonight to label half the country as fascists and domestic terrorists; can't wait. 

Gotta admire his unifying messaging while impoverishing the nation. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login