NFL Playoff Thread

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 1:36 PM

Tuck rule was more a BS interpretation of a BS obscure rule that no one seemed to know about, although it did exist. Much like when Polamalu got fucked out of an interception against the Colts in the playoffs because of the "make a football move" rule, where apparently catching the ball and going to the ground didn't count as such. Where, by the letter of the law, it may have been the right call, but the logic behind it just seemed fucked in the head.

This was simply a horrible miss of a very obvious infraction. Technically two infractions, I guess, as it was both PI and helmet-to-helmet. To me, it may be because it's just the most recent bad call, but it feels like it could be the worst, simply because of how obvious the penalty was, the timing of the no-call, the end result of the game and the simple fact that you have refs making all these ticky-tack calls, 50/50 calls and so on (not saying they're "wrong" calls, but just that they are subtle penalties that may not have even had a real impact on the play) and then go completely blind when a glaringly blatant penalty is committed.

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 3:44 PM
posted by like_that

NFL Live is currently debating if the Saints/Rams no call is the worst call/no call in NFL history.  Agree/Disagree?  I can't think of anything else that would top it, except tuck rule and I think it easily tops the tuck rule.

Umm disagree. Ever hear of bottlegate?

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 4:11 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

That was terrible. I wouldn’t call it a “call” on the field, though. I’m still not sure how they were allowed to eliminate a play and reverse that.

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 4:16 PM
posted by Laley23

That was terrible. I wouldn’t call it a “call” on the field, though. I’m still not sure how they were allowed to eliminate a play and reverse that.

If it's not a call on the field, what would you call it then? The ref made a call to review a previous play that happened before the last play, then overturn the ruling on the field.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 6:07 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

I'd say "call that plays huge role in deciding conference championship game" probably outranks "play that likely turned an 8-8 team into a 7-9 one when the playoffs weren't a possibility unless they had 10 wins" in any "all time worst" discussion that doesn't begin and end with NE Ohio people.

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 6:11 PM
posted by Heretic

I'd say "call that plays huge role in deciding conference championship game" probably outranks "play that likely turned an 8-8 team into a 7-9 one when the playoffs weren't a possibility unless they had 10 wins" in any "all time worst" discussion that doesn't begin and end with NE Ohio people.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 7:55 PM

If they would institute a rule that you can challenge a PI call, then what happens when they didnt call anything like in the game in question?  You would almost HAVE to include the provision that they can challenge a call, or no call, in regards to PI.

With that said, I doubt they would overrule many PI calls.  There is a lot of contact especially on the 9 routes down the sideline.  If the defense challenges a PI call, it would be hard pressed for them to be overturned because of the amount of contact there is.  I would almost have to believe that there are more egregious NO CALLS according to the rules than vice versa.

They HAVE to include no calls to be challenged as PI< if not then the rule would fall short, some other team would get screwed before it gets changed once against to include that provision.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:46 PM

Something that baffled me about bottlegate was that they were actually selling beer bottles to the fans instead of cups, albeit they were plastic.  It was said that many contained piss.

I rewatched that whole fiasco recently on YouTube.  What a clusterfuck.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:56 PM

Bottlegate was my first browns game I ever attended. Threw a hot dog

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:02 PM
posted by BRF

Something that baffled me about bottlegate was that they were actually selling beer bottles to the fans instead of cups, albeit they were plastic.  It was said that many contained piss.

Also, one of the refs got hit by a clock.  wtf lol?

I still don't feel bad for them.  I recall Carmen Policy defending the fans too, which I liked.  

thavoice Senior Member
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:14 PM

Always a classic..

thavoice Senior Member
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:17 PM
posted by BRF

That wasn't unusual at the time.   I remember going to games after that in Cincy and Pittsburgh and they would still sell them but always took the caps off and called it the Cleveland Rule. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 10:04 PM

My friend said he heard an idea of getting rid of the Pro Bowl, and instead having the two worst teams in the NFL play each other for the #1 pick. Lol great idea

thavoice Senior Member
Tue, Jan 22, 2019 10:25 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

My friend said he heard an idea of getting rid of the Pro Bowl, and instead having the two worst teams in the NFL play each other for the #1 pick. Lol great idea

Genius.  Similar to 2 different ideas I had heard about how to deternine the top NBA pick.  Worst two teams do a best of three, winner gets the top pick or take the 5 worst record teams at the 75 game mark of the season and use the best records the last 7 games to determine the first 5 picks.

Pro Bowl sucks, no doubt about that and a travesty to the game.  We all hope our players just dont get hurt, or better yet, dont even play.   Fact is, enough people watch it to make it worth it for ESPN

Last years pro bowl drew more viewers than most of the NBA conference finals games.  

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 1:20 PM

A little different side...

https://twitter.com/steve_perrault/status/1087723821677887489?s=21

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 2:46 PM
posted by Ironman92

A little different side...

https://twitter.com/steve_perrault/status/1087723821677887489?s=21

Great clip

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:59 AM

I can't recall a SB that I was least interested in, and the commercials have sucked so bad recently that they're not even a reason to watch...fuck.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 7:04 PM

So, some dumbass from the Rams told the media that Age has definitely taken its toll on Brady.  How dumb can you be?  

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 9:35 PM
posted by superman

So, some dumbass from the Rams told the media that Age has definitely taken its toll on Brady.  How dumb can you be?  

Lol....he already thinks he’s the underdog, give him some more ammo

thavoice Senior Member
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 10:43 PM
posted by Ironman92

Lol....he already thinks he’s the underdog, give him some more ammo

Some will say "it is the super bowl, who needs more motivation than that" but I wholeheartedly believe one can ALWAYS be more motivated and TB12 will use this as he should.

Gotta root for old man Brady, I hope he can win this one and can continue to play at a very high level for a few more years

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login