NBA Regular Season 19/20

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 3, 2020 4:18 PM

Super pumped, but not sure why they need another 60 days to finalize this. Presumably, the Orlando logistics, schedule, format and Covid contingencies have been worked out. 

All that seems to be left would be mini training camp and figuring out TV schedule/rights. Feel they could be back July 1 (or 4 if you wanna own the holiday). That gives them that extra month at the end of season to realistically start up again Christmas. Now, it will end in October, and we are looking at end of January or into February for next season.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 12, 2020 9:48 PM

Kyrie Irving - who wouldn’t even be playing in Orlando - doesn’t support it anyways. 

Sat, Jun 13, 2020 9:17 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Kyrie Irving - who wouldn’t even be playing in Orlando - doesn’t support it anyways. 

The good news — since he just plays devils advocate to cause commotion — is that likely means 90% of the players are on board lol.

Sat, Jun 13, 2020 4:19 PM
posted by Laley23

The good news — since he just plays devils advocate to cause commotion — is that likely means 90% of the players are on board lol.

I always defer to you on this particular topic but if the season were to be canceled, they’d actually be screwing over a lot of people - themselves including. I’m sure the day to day, behind the scenes people are really depending on some type of money coming back in? 

Sun, Jun 14, 2020 4:06 PM

I always defer to you on this particular topic but if the season were to be canceled, they’d actually be screwing over a lot of people - themselves including. I’m sure the day to day, behind the scenes people are really depending on some type of money coming back in? 

Yeah, they need to play (as in players). The salary cap moving forward is already going to shrink, but it’s gonna be more drastic without any revenue. They are hurting themselves in the long run, financially, if they aren’t willing to make the sacrifices to play. 

This is a lot different than MLB, where it’s about their compensation. This is just players not wanting to be in a bubble for that long. Not that they are wrong, but the Owners aren’t screwing them over at least. 

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jun 14, 2020 10:30 PM
posted by Laley23

This is just players not wanting to be in a bubble for that long. 

It's their job, and this is what is being asked of them.  So fucking do it.  You are getting paid handsomely to play a fucking game.  Quit whining and do what your boss is asking.  You could, of course, be like the rest of the world... don't like what your boss is asking?  Quit.

Sun, Jun 14, 2020 11:04 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

It's their job, and this is what is being asked of them.  So fucking do it.  You are getting paid handsomely to play a fucking game.  Quit whining and do what your boss is asking.  You could, of course, be like the rest of the world... don't like what your boss is asking?  Quit.

Aside from the obvious of: They all signed contracts. This (likely) wasn't included in them. They don't have to do anything, if the union didn't vote yes on it...

...you also have the fact that no employee should ever have to sacrifice 75+ days away from kids and family if they don't want to. And no, if the boss wanted to then fire you, it would not be just cause. And yes, you would be paid out in a lawsuit for wrongful termination. So no, if they don't want to do this, they can't be forced to, and they shouldn't/wouldn't quit and subsequently wouldn't/shouldn't be fired. But lets keep holding athletes to a higher standard because they make millions and we make thousands. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jun 14, 2020 11:40 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Terrible take. 
I hate when people compare professional sports players to 9 to 5’ers. 

Mon, Jun 15, 2020 9:32 AM

I really want basketball back, maybe even selfishly to an extent. But I think the player’s hesitation with the bubble makes sense. If I was on the Wizards or Suns for example, I wouldn’t be crazy to be away from my family for 6-8 weeks. But then you sacrifice your pay, “quit” on your team, etc. 

Wed, Jun 17, 2020 11:49 AM

I actually can’t wait to watch a finals game in an empty arena. It’s going to be really bizarre, especially when the championship is won. 

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 17, 2020 1:36 PM

Kyrie is just one big nutcase.

Go ahead, start a new league.

Turd.

Fri, Jun 26, 2020 11:59 PM

Schedule dropped tonight. July 30th double header Jazz - Pelicans followed by Lakers - Clippers. Then goes to like nine games a day til mid August. Just kind of hope Florida can try and keep it down to a dull roar and not scare everyone away, which so far they seem to be failing at. 

Tue, Jun 30, 2020 10:46 PM

NBA needs to put Brooklyn out of their misery and not have them play. I don’t think Washington has a great shot of catching them so they’ll definitely be in the playoffs, too. They should just make it top 16 make the playoffs regardless of conference because no one would miss Orlando, either. A 1 seed Bucks vs 16 seed Pelicans series? Sign me up. 

Wed, Jul 1, 2020 9:14 AM

NBA needs to put Brooklyn out of their misery and not have them play. I don’t think Washington has a great shot of catching them so they’ll definitely be in the playoffs, too. They should just make it top 16 make the playoffs regardless of conference because no one would miss Orlando, either. A 1 seed Bucks vs 16 seed Pelicans series? Sign me up. 

Gotta fulfill those local TV deals to get paid out in full!!

Wed, Jul 1, 2020 10:58 AM
posted by Laley23

Gotta fulfill those local TV deals to get paid out in full!!

Ain’t no one watching the Nets. But I get your point. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 1, 2020 12:53 PM

I've been a proponent of that Top 16 idea for a long time. Probably because of those years where the 11th best West team was on the same level as the fourth or fifth East team. You'd have 45-win teams at home while 37-win teams were earning the right to get bounced by the Cavs or Celts in the first round.

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:12 AM

We are back tonight!

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:13 AM

Clippers win championship

Giannis MVP

Blazers to WCF. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:18 AM

Can't recall the last time I've been this stoked to watch the NBA. I will be tuning in a lot.

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 6:52 PM

Amazing product they’ve put on. You can hardly tell it’s an empty arena. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login