Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 6:27 PM
posted by justincredible

I expect people to stop abiding by it en masse before the mandate is lifted.

By April 1, i would say that 50% of people will just be done with it

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 7:23 PM

I think currently 16 are no mandate, I expect Ohio to be about 37th

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 7:28 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing faces in public in Florida next month.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 7:40 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

I think currently 16 are no mandate, I expect Ohio to be about 37th

I will take the over

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 9:20 PM
posted by Fletch

I will take the over

No way the following states would be before Ohio:

New York

California

Illinois

Michigan

Oregon

Maryland

All of NE (Mass, Conn, Vt, NH, RI, Maine)

So would just need Minnesota, Virginia, Washington, or New Jersey to not pull the trigger

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 9:21 PM

With the number of vaccines expected to come we should have any adult who wants the vaccine to have at least one shot by the end of April. I think by the end of the month most places will end mask mandates

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 9:56 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

No way the following states would be before Ohio:

New York

California

Illinois

Michigan

Oregon

Maryland

All of NE (Mass, Conn, Vt, NH, RI, Maine)

So would just need Minnesota, Virginia, Washington, or New Jersey to not pull the trigger

I will check back in to see who wins

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 10:38 PM
posted by justincredible

I expect people to stop abiding by it en masse before the mandate is lifted.

I want you to be right but DeWine will flex his flab

Tue, Mar 2, 2021 11:49 PM
posted by Ironman92

I want you to be right but DeWine will flex his flab

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 6:25 AM

Saw on the news this morning that March 3, 2020 was the first time DeWine made any restrictions with eliminating spectators from the upcoming Arnold Classic. I remember that following weekend was when universities starting suspending classes. Man, we had no idea what we were in for...

Wed, Mar 3, 2021 8:42 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Saw on the news this morning that March 3, 2020 was the first time DeWine made any restrictions with eliminating spectators from the upcoming Arnold Classic. I remember that following weekend was when universities starting suspending classes. Man, we had no idea what we were in for...

I worked Cincy beerfest on what would be this upcoming weekend last year. LOTS of chatter amongst the attendees about covid and how the event would give it to everyone if anyone there had it. 

It's time to end this shit, it's been long enough. The curve has been flattened. The spread has been slowed. We have a year worth of empirical data. Ohio needs to open fully, no restrictions. At this point, if you're still worried about catching it, you can adjust your life to reduce your risk. It's not my job anymore.

Wed, Mar 3, 2021 8:56 AM

No.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:16 AM
posted by justincredible

No.

This doesn't bug me, as long as it is your own personal decision.   I believe I said it in this thread when this shit all started, but I have always appreciated how asian cultures mask up as a courtesy when they feel sick.

Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:21 AM
posted by like_that

This doesn't bug me, as long as it is your own personal decision.   I believe I said it in this thread when this shit all started, but I have always appreciated how asian cultures mask up as a courtesy when they feel sick.

I agree with this. I don't care if others wear masks. But, at least in my pea brain, the "social distancing" piece of that necessitates business capacity restrictions. Which CANNOT happen.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:35 AM
posted by justincredible

I agree with this. I don't care if others wear masks. But, at least in my pea brain, the "social distancing" piece of that necessitates business capacity restrictions. Which CANNOT happen.

You're right, I am probably giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt.   My interpretation was simply a "if you're sick, try to be fucking courtesy."   I.e. if you're sick, then either don't show up to the office or work from home.  Or if you're in a supervisory level, how about not pressuring sick employees to come into the office?

Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:46 AM

I 100% agree with that. If you're sick, stay home. If you have to be out, wear a mask. As long as it's voluntary I have no issues. But if they expect businesses to limit capacity every winter then they can piss right off. Without that, I'm not sure how they can get their precious social distancing. After the year we just had, though, my hackles are raised every time someone says something like this. 

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:55 AM
posted by like_that

Our partisan culture would never accept it.  We have to be on the winning side, the right side.  But that is not good enough.  We must vilify the losing side, the wrong side.  We won't allow courteous mask wearing to be the acceptable normal.  If someone goes out wearing a mask (when mandates are removed), you might as well put a scarlet "A" on their chest.  "UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!"

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 9:57 AM

Also, people are not courteous of other people when sick.  Other educators can agree here... parents send their sick kids to school when they know they are sick.  They hope that they can make it through the day, and they do not care if they infect anyone else.  If someone else catches a cold from their sick child, it's that sick child's parents who have to deal with it, not them.  We very well may be the most selfish country on the planet.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 10:13 AM

Getting sick and getting over it strengthens the herd.  

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 3, 2021 10:14 AM
posted by justincredible

The wailing on twitter is kinda funny. I'm not holding my breath that DeWine will follow suit.

They are still crying about it today. People still act like Texas and Florida are the worst, yet their deaths per capita are much better, and Florida has been open for a long time now (and a ton of old people). Here in SC we never had a statewide mask mandate, leaving it up to local mayors to decide what to do (shocking!). It's been a year of this thing and people are still acting extremely scared.  We are a tourist location and have done better than the other cities in the state with numbers. The weeks are still slow because we don't have the groups/ business travel but the weekends are pretty crowded. 

I still laugh back when SNL and others were mad people were going for a walk outside/ going to the beach and being 20 feet from other people. Granted, a lot of this hysteria is bc the government is terrible at communicating the actual science and how this thing spreads. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login