Covid-19 discussion, continued...

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 10:57 AM
posted by justincredible

Florida has no  statewide mask mandate, but some locales require them. I don't recall being inundated with these videos out of Florida, but I could have missed them.

I live in Florida, and most of the population is happy about how the Governor has handled the pandemic. The only ones that are screaming about him are those that want political gain. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:04 AM
posted by brutus161

I live in Florida, and most of the population is happy about how the Governor has handled the pandemic. The only ones that are screaming about him are those that want political gain. 

We're visiting Florida multiple times this year, largely due to their handling of the pandemic. We're about 50/50 on actually moving there, as well.

brutus161 The Navy Guy
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:07 AM
posted by justincredible

We're visiting Florida multiple times this year, largely due to their handling of the pandemic. We're about 50/50 on actually moving there, as well.

You may laugh, but the hottest area to move to right now is the Jacksonville area. Duval and surrounding counties are blowing up. There will be a shit ton of job opportunities coming. That's and odd statement to make for the states largest city and one of the most populated cities in the country, but people tend to forget about Jacksonville. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:23 AM
posted by brutus161

You may laugh, but the hottest area to move to right now is the Jacksonville area. Duval and surrounding counties are blowing up. There will be a shit ton of job opportunities coming. That's and odd statement to make for the states largest city and one of the most populated cities in the country, but people tend to forget about Jacksonville. 

Plus Jacksonville and the panhandle are much more closely aligned culturally to the Deep South as opposed yo central and south Florida - if that matters to you. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:29 AM
posted by brutus161

Yeah, aren't they also deepening the harbor there too to increase the port? They are trying to compete with the other east coast ports, like Savannah.  That is also leading to a boom in industry. 

I'll also add an Urban joke in here too as another guy leaving the state to move down there....

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:33 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yeah, aren't they also deepening the harbor there too to increase the port? They are trying to compete with the other east coast ports, like Savannah.  That is also leading to a boom in industry. 

The Ports are hot right now. Savannah, Charleston, and Jax are all racing to deepen the harbors to get the huge new boats that can now get through the Panama Canal.  And a ton of new jobs come with it. 

When I drove through Jax a few years ago I was shocked by how big it is. 

brutus161 The Navy Guy
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 11:38 AM
posted by iclfan2

The Ports are hot right now. Savannah, Charleston, and Jax are all racing to deepen the harbors to get the huge new boats that can now get through the Panama Canal.  And a ton of new jobs come with it. 

When I drove through Jax a few years ago I was shocked by how big it is. 

It's also the biggest city in the lower 48 (area wise). About 750 square miles.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 12:53 PM
posted by justincredible

Florida has no  statewide mask mandate, but some locales require them. I don't recall being inundated with these videos out of Florida, but I could have missed them.

Florida Man has MANY other ways to go viral that don't involve the "muh rights say no masks!!!" sort of pedestrian stuff that the people of other states rely on to get attention.

Thu, Mar 4, 2021 12:59 PM
posted by Heretic

Florida Man has MANY other ways to go viral that don't involve the "muh rights say no masks!!!" sort of pedestrian stuff that the people of other states rely on to get attention.

Indeed.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 1:01 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

The confusing part is who enforces that at the store? It has fallen on the store staff to do it and that has led to those viral stupid videos of people yelling about rights and shit. 

Sounds like poor training on the part of the store. The associate should not get in an argument with the customer, nor should the manager the associate should be trained to call at the first sign of conflict. The manager should simply tell the "guest" that he/she is no longer welcome.

Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:38 PM

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:48 PM

Neadrathal thinking.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:49 PM

DeWine said all health restrictions will be lifted when we meet 50 cases per 100,00 people for two weeks. No idea what we’re at now. Can’t imagine with the vaccines ramping up it could take that long?

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:56 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

DeWine said all health restrictions will be lifted when we meet 50 cases per 100,00 people for two weeks. No idea what we’re at now. Can’t imagine with the vaccines ramping up it could take that long?

He said 179 as of yesterday. Seems pretty simple as the vaccines need to be rolled out faster and that will get that rate down faster. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:57 PM

Can’t wait to see all the whining on Reddit about it later. 

Thu, Mar 4, 2021 5:58 PM

Cases is a stupid metric because it's a lot easier to manipulate with testing. If you're gonna base it on something it should be hospitalizations. 

Thu, Mar 4, 2021 6:19 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Can’t wait to see all the whining on Reddit about it later. 

You don’t even need to go to Reddit. I’m whining 24/7 on here.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 8:42 PM
posted by justincredible

Cases is a stupid metric because it's a lot easier to manipulate with testing. If you're gonna base it on something it should be hospitalizations. 

This.  

Thu, Mar 4, 2021 9:16 PM

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 4, 2021 9:33 PM
posted by justincredible

Agreed, we are supposed to “flatten the curve” so we don’t over run hospitals. Once we get the 50+ age group vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths will be very low. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login