Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Aug 30, 2020 7:53 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Again... you don’t understand.

6% is people without comorbidities. 

Overweight? Comorbidity. Asthma? Comorbidity. High blood pressure? Comorbidity. These aren’t people who on are deaths doorstep. These are people who would otherwise live for a much longer time had they not caught covid. 

And I’m not sure it’s great to cheer for 9k people who were completely healthy and still died from this. 

Some aren't on death's doorstep, but some are. And just because someone questions the risk of COVID to our society as a whole does not automatically mean they are somehow happy that anyone died from it.   That's a big problem with this thing. Even though you may not agree, many people believe that while there are risks from COVID, they do not outweigh the costs of restricting schools, businesses, lives. That doesn't mean those same people don't recognize how horrible it is for anyone to die from this. Horrible as it is, risks surround us everyday. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sun, Aug 30, 2020 8:44 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Some aren't on death's doorstep, but some are. And just because someone questions the risk of COVID to our society as a whole does not automatically mean they are somehow happy that anyone died from it.   That's a big problem with this thing. Even though you may not agree, many people believe that while there are risks from COVID, they do not outweigh the costs of restricting schools, businesses, lives. That doesn't mean those same people don't recognize how horrible it is for anyone to die from this. Horrible as it is, risks surround us everyday. 

What does that have anything to do with refuting the point that it’s only 6% of deaths due to covid. People are sharing this 100 times over bc they don’t understand wtf the cdc is saying.  

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Sun, Aug 30, 2020 10:45 PM

Impressive that these artist are subjecting themselves to the two week quarantine for visiting NYC, dedication to the arts

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 6:25 AM

When this is all said and done, do you all think we will stop celebrating people who are morbidly obese?

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 6:28 AM
posted by like_that

When this is all said and done, do you all think we will stop celebrating people who are morbidly obese?

How do we celebrate them now?

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 7:20 AM
posted by Ironman92

How do we celebrate them now?

The body positivity movement. Nothing physically about it is healthy. 

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 7:47 AM
posted by like_that

The body positivity movement. Nothing physically about it is healthy. 

Yeah... I don’t see fat people being celebrated in any point in life.  If there’s a body positivity movement, I’d say it’s not very strong. Or at least not very apparent.

On the flip side though, do you think we’ll ever get over people ...even on this thread ...who say conditions are a choice?  I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 17. I was probably 180 lbs and playing 3 sports a year. It’s never went away.  I’ve never stopped working out. If I don’t take my pills, my BP goes up. I asked my family doctor why and he said he’s the same way. And he’s about 150 lbs and runs 20 miles a week. He also said most people he treats aren't obese but nearly all have family history of HBP.  So in our case and most it’s not from being lazy or bad life choices lol. But most people universally claim it is. 

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 8:37 AM

Yeah... I don’t see fat people being celebrated in any point in life.  If there’s a body positivity movement, I’d say it’s not very strong. Or at least not very apparent.

On the flip side though, do you think we’ll ever get over people ...even on this thread ...who say conditions are a choice?  I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 17. I was probably 180 lbs and playing 3 sports a year. It’s never went away.  I’ve never stopped working out. If I don’t take my pills, my BP goes up. I asked my family doctor why and he said he’s the same way. And he’s about 150 lbs and runs 20 miles a week. He also said most people he treats aren't obese but nearly all have family history of HBP.  So in our case and most it’s not from being lazy or bad life choices lol. But most people universally claim it is. 

Anyone in particular you’re referring to who says this? I know a few people in similar situation, which sucks. I am referring to heath conditions that we can control ourselves.  For every person like yourself or the people you mentioned, there are many more who made/make poor choices that led to health their problems.

We are only kidding ourselves if we pretend the US is a healthy country. I just hope going forward our country starts focusing on a healthier lifestyle and reducing our obesity rate.  There would be people alive today if they had focused on their health.

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 8:46 AM

What does that have anything to do with refuting the point that it’s only 6% of deaths due to covid. People are sharing this 100 times over bc they don’t understand wtf the cdc is saying.  

You said the people with existing conditions aren't on death's door. I was saying that many of them were/are. Also, no one is cheering that anyone's died. That is a terrible thing for sure. 

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 8:50 AM
posted by like_that

Anyone in particular you’re referring to who says this? I know a few people in similar situation, which sucks. I am referring to heath conditions that we can control ourselves.  For every person like yourself or the people you mentioned, there are many more who made/make poor choices that led to health their problems.

We are only kidding ourselves if we pretend the US is a healthy country. I just hope going forward our country starts focusing on a healthier lifestyle and reducing our obesity rate.  There would be people alive today if they had focused on their health.

Yeah I don't think you're wrong. I know stats show how fat the US is. I just think its bad to blindly label people. My brother in law is also type one diabetic. Great shape. But has been diabetic since he was a little kid. There's also tons of people who have conditions that no matter what they do can't change them. But i feel they get lumped into the "oh well, shoulda worked out" crowd when stuff like this happens. Very Very few people have asthma because of lifestyle choices. But as you can see from the CDC, its not great to have with covid19.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 9:02 AM

New to this convo: But I just wanted to add that as the sole caretaker of my mother (who has copd/emphysema among a host of other disabilities) I've been tested quite a lot.

I'll take a spit test all day long rather than having my brain touched with a stick. 

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 9:57 AM

Yeah I don't think you're wrong. I know stats show how fat the US is. I just think its bad to blindly label people. My brother in law is also type one diabetic. Great shape. But has been diabetic since he was a little kid. There's also tons of people who have conditions that no matter what they do can't change them. But i feel they get lumped into the "oh well, shoulda worked out" crowd when stuff like this happens. Very Very few people have asthma because of lifestyle choices. But as you can see from the CDC, its not great to have with covid19.

Those are definitely not the people I am talking about.  It would be like me blaming people for having cancer and dying from covid. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 11:55 AM
posted by Automatik

Very mad about “coverage.”

You do have the ability to change the channel and/or put your phone down. 

We should be able to expect the media 'profession' to maintain some semblance of truth and context.  But they will not; thus Fake News, and Orange Man right again.

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 12:34 PM
posted by QuakerOats

We should be able to expect the media 'profession' to maintain some semblance of truth and context.  But they will not; thus Fake News, and Orange Man right again.

The people who get the most worked up about this always seem to be the same ones who consume news media in bulk quantities. Trump's no exception. He obviously watches CNN, MSNBC, etc constantly. 

Not watching news all day doesn't make you "uninformed". For most of human history, there wasn't a 24 hour news cycle to obsess over. People did fine even though politics wasn't intertwined into all parts of their lives. 

If you don't like the liberal news outlets, don't watch them. Read the WSJBopinion pages, watch Fox News, Brietbart, Pat Buchanan's site, etc. CNN, The NYT, MSNBC - they're not going to change regardless of your constant outrage. 

Turn the TV off and go outside and play. 

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 12:35 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Turn the TV off and go outside and play. 

The entire US needs to take this advice.  
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 12:36 PM
posted by like_that
The entire US needs to take this advice.  

Amen to that. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 2:02 PM

My wife works in corporate for a plus size fashion brand so my exposure is biased but there are a ton of people who celebrate the morbidly obese. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 6:46 PM

So i spent a few minutes looking around online at local newsites and national media.....almost nothing on corona.

We are now officially being held hostage by the state and local governments.  Not only is the curve flat......its gone.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 9:54 PM
posted by Spock

So i spent a few minutes looking around online at local newsites and national media.....almost nothing on corona.

We are now officially being held hostage by the state and local governments.  Not only is the curve flat......its gone.

(Opens up USA Today app, four out of ten first articles are about Covid.) 

Inb4 you say USA Today doesn’t count because it doesn’t align with your views. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 1, 2020 4:10 AM

posted by Spock

You must really suck at "looking around" if you can't find shit online about the 'rona on news sites. Which is par for the course with you, but still...

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login