Covid-19 discussion, continued...

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 10:49 AM

My fiends grandfather brought covid home from the elks and gave it to the grandmother. He recovered and she spent the last 10 days of her life in the hospital and died alone. Pretty sad stuff 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 11:46 AM
posted by geeblock

My fiends grandfather brought covid home from the elks and gave it to the grandmother. He recovered and she spent the last 10 days of her life in the hospital and died alone. Pretty sad stuff 

Too bad about your friend. That's a sad story. 

On a brighter note....

An 82 year old guy I'm friends with and his wife both contracted COVID from a grandson's visit. He had no symptoms and isvirus free now and she had mild symptoms and is back to health. He's a pretty healthy guy. But she is not - overweight and had open heart surgery a year ago. 

Anyway, glad they made it through. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 12:49 PM
posted by Spock

Having a vaccine is all well and good but we have flattened the curve and need to get back at it fully.

We will see a vaccine around November 4th

Agree on that date for an an announcement, then on January 21st, the terms are set for the unproven mandatory vaccine 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 3:23 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Agree on that date for an an announcement, then on January 21st, the terms are set for the unproven mandatory vaccine 

No possible way they could legally get away with this. 
8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 3:37 PM
posted by like_that

I'm not saying they would mandate for the new COVID vaccine, but throughout American history, vaccine use was deemed mandatory: Think polio, small pox, and early measles and mumps. 

I could also see businesses make a mandate that until employees receive the vaccine they cannot come into an office or large group setting. 

I'll probably get the vaccine as it will probably be required for my work. Same goes for my wife who works in healthcare logistics. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 3:53 PM

Mandatory vaccine for something that is only dangerous for .5% of the population?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 3:59 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I could also see businesses make a mandate that until employees receive the vaccine they cannot come into an office or large group setting.

It will be interesting, and I'm not an expert on the vaccine history.  Roe v. Wade could be a problematic precedent, but they might have an out since there's a public health risk not limited strictly to the individual.

Otherwise, like you said, business, schools and probably nursing homes will require it.  Not to make this political, but Trump would probably not mandate it and half the country will flip out.  Biden probably would mandate it, and half the country will flip out.

Mon, Aug 3, 2020 4:12 PM
posted by gut

It will be interesting, and I'm not an expert on the vaccine history.  Roe v. Wade could be a problematic precedent, but they might have an out since there's a public health risk not limited strictly to the individual.

Otherwise, like you said, business, schools and probably nursing homes will require it.  Not to make this political, but Trump would probably not mandate it and half the country will flip out.  Biden probably would mandate it, and half the country will flip out.

Yeah, in my study of American history vaccine mandates are not new. For polio, people would travel around the country and issue the vaccine to everyone in every town. It was the reason why we were able to eradicate polio by the 1960s. 

Good PBS Doc on it: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/polio/

In this case, the Government may issues guidance and make it mandatory for schools like it is now for most states. Colleges may also mandate it for kids to come back to dorms. Businesses may pick up the mandate as it is easier for them to control risk and allow people to come back to large settings. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 4:31 PM
posted by like_that

Do you know how many vaccines are REQUIRED to send a child to school by law?

All they would have to do is add a COVID vaccine to the list for children.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 4:38 PM
posted by Spock

Mandatory vaccine for something that is only dangerous for .5% of the population?

Stop lying. You're too stupid for the truth, much less lies.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 5:22 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Stop lying. You're too stupid for the truth, much less lies.

Link?

Mon, Aug 3, 2020 5:35 PM
posted by Spock

Link?

Earlier in this thread....

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 5:49 PM

One of my gf's best friends father passed on Saturday. Was in the hospital for a week. In Maracaibo, Venezuela. He was 54. Great guy, I met him last summer. Their healthcare system is a total disaster anyway, now with COVID...even worse.

Sucks...first incident that really hit us hard. Think of the couple you and your SO always hanging out with. Worst part is, she can't even go there and her mom is pretty much alone, no real family left in the city. Also, to pile even more shit on...her mom now has COVID. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 5:55 PM
posted by Automatik

One of my gf's best friends father passed on Saturday. Was in the hospital for a week. In Maracaibo, Venezuela. He was 54. Great guy, I met him last summer. Their healthcare system is a total disaster anyway, now with COVID...even worse.

Sucks...first incident that really hit us hard. Think of the couple you and your SO always hanging out with. Worst part is, she can't even go there and her mom is pretty much alone, no real family left in the city. Also, to pile even more shit on...her mom now has COVID. 

Sorry to hear man. We were close to one of our doormen of our building who died. Shit sucks

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 7:13 PM
posted by Spock

You sure its 0.5% and not 0.005%?

Asking for a friend...

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 7:14 PM
posted by Automatik

That truly sucks man.

Tue, Aug 4, 2020 11:05 AM
posted by jmog

Do you know how many vaccines are REQUIRED to send a child to school by law?

All they would have to do is add a COVID vaccine to the list for children.

I was more so thinking "mandate" as in they can't force anyone to take it.  I did not think about the schools/businesses/etc angle. 

If anyone is familiar with HIPAA, could businesses or public services (i.e. metro) require people to provide proof they have the vaccine? 

Tue, Aug 4, 2020 11:53 AM

Some countries in the EU are seeing a second spike.  The Germans are calling it a shallow second wave.  Spain is back around 2.5K-3K cases a day, but I don't think anywhere in Europe is locking anyone down this time around. 

Tue, Aug 4, 2020 12:18 PM
posted by like_that

Some countries in the EU are seeing a second spike.  The Germans are calling it a shallow second wave.  Spain is back around 2.5K-3K cases a day, but I don't think anywhere in Europe is locking anyone down this time around. 

Man, I would love if the U.S. can get down to those numbers. Instead, here we are just stupid and totally fucked this thing all up. 

Even as I was touting how well Maryland was doing, the numbers are creeping up, with over a 1k cases last week. It seems like people are getting lax, especially near beaches and people in their 20s. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 1:38 PM
posted by like_that

I was more so thinking "mandate" as in they can't force anyone to take it.  I did not think about the schools/businesses/etc angle. 

If anyone is familiar with HIPAA, could businesses or public services (i.e. metro) require people to provide proof they have the vaccine? 

If you want to be able to stand in line to obtain your government bread, you better be able to show your documents that you had the vaccine

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login