Cleveland Browns 2023 Season Thread

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 22, 2023 8:22 PM
posted by BR1986FB

When Watson's out, they're one of the better rushing teams in the league. When he plays, definitely not. Not sure why Stefanski can't run the same offense and let DW feed off the running game.

They are still struggling to find their identity on offense. When they traded for Watson, they made the decision that they wanted to switch from a running team to a passing team. They are built better to be a running team, but mortgaging the rest of the decade on getting Watson forces them to try to be a passing team. On the 4th&1 when they ran the stupid pitch play, they had both Hunt and Ford in the game. I would like them to at least try more packages with them both in game so that they could run the ball without it being predictable who will get the carry.
33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 22, 2023 10:47 PM

Walker is absolutely horrendous. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 8:46 AM

Man, sometimes I really hate this fanbase. Team is 4-2, coming off a win, and typical Monday morning bitching. Regardless of how ugly, enjoy the win.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 10:14 AM

Hey now that you guys seem poised for post season success you’re welcome to join my annual club for hating the AFC west. Every season the Chiefs are gifted 5-6 wins by the helpless Raiders and Broncos and I guess now the Chargers. You’re never going to get the #1 seed because that division fucking sucks besides KC. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 10:19 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Hey now that you guys seem poised for post season success you’re welcome to join my annual club for hating the AFC west. Every season the Chiefs are gifted 5-6 wins by the helpless Raiders and Broncos and I guess now the Chargers. You’re never going to get the #1 seed because that division fucking sucks besides KC. 

If the Browns don't get their QB situation in order, they might squeak into the playoffs but I'm doubting much success after seeing PJ Walker yesterday.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 11:22 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Man, sometimes I really hate this fanbase. Team is 4-2, coming off a win, and typical Monday morning bitching. Regardless of how ugly, enjoy the win.

First time I can recall the Browns being gifted a game by the refs, almost as if it were the Steelers.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 11:23 AM
posted by Heretic
Toledo beat Ball State, so that's another win! And yes, I did look up Ball State's schedule to see if they'd played and lost to any of the Ohio MAC teams.

Youngstown State over Valpo. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 11:34 AM
posted by QuakerOats

First time I can recall the Browns being gifted a game by the refs, almost as if it were the Steelers.

I'm not complaining. Pittsburgh got another one yesterday on a crappy spot on a Pickett QB sneak late in the game.

Considering moments like Duke Johnson's fumble "recovery" by the then Redskins as a Browns player is holding the ball in the refs face, the "he's out of bounds" negated TD by Amari Cooper earlier this year, Bottlegate, etc, etc....I'll shed no tears nor feel any guilt for yesterday's calls.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 1:10 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Youngstown State over Valpo. 

Damn! The number keeps rising!

Mon, Oct 23, 2023 2:06 PM

I don't even think that the Illegal Contact was that bad a call. Of course, I haven't seen it sync'd up with the fumble. Not that I agree with the rule, that type of contact should never be a penalty, but as it stands, it was. 

Now, the DPI was horrible. That was barely DPI if the ball was in field of play and not 7 rows deep. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Oct 25, 2023 12:14 PM

Garrett & Dustin Hopkins voted Defensive Player of the Week and Special Teams Player of the Week. Second week in a row for Hopkins. Hopkins trade may have been Berry's best to date.

This is the first time since 1994, and the second time in Browns history, that the Browns have had two Players of the Week.....Pepper Johnson (defense) and Eric Metcalf (Special Teams).

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 25, 2023 3:44 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Garrett & Dustin Hopkins voted Defensive Player of the Week and Special Teams Player of the Week. Second week in a row for Hopkins. Hopkins trade may have been Berry's best to date.

This is the first time since 1994, and the second time in Browns history, that the Browns have had two Players of the Week.....Pepper Johnson (defense) and Eric Metcalf (Special Teams).

That was two fine players

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Oct 25, 2023 4:12 PM

This BS with Watson and the organization is really frustrating. The organization reminds me of the Indians/Guardians where they could be on the cusp of something special yet sit on their hands at the trading deadline praying for "lightning in a bottle." They can't realistically ride with PJ Walker for another 2-4 weeks or the season will be done.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 25, 2023 4:32 PM
posted by BR1986FB

This BS with Watson and the organization is really frustrating. The organization reminds me of the Indians/Guardians where they could be on the cusp of something special yet sit on their hands at the trading deadline praying for "lightning in a bottle." They can't realistically ride with PJ Walker for another 2-4 weeks or the season will be done.

Accurate. Walker ain’t it. Just half ass decent backup seems to be the key

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Oct 25, 2023 5:10 PM
posted by iclfan2

Accurate. Walker ain’t it. Just half ass decent backup seems to be the key

The problem is that they've been doing it with mirrors & defense (timely defense in the Colts game) the past two weeks. 

With Walker, this won't continue. For as bad as he's been, he's been lucky in dodging several boneheaded "bullets" that could've cost them games. This luck won't continue for ever and and some point the defense will say "f#ck this" with the lack of offensive support. Plus, defenses will eventually sell out to stop the run then what's Walker going to do?

These aren't names that are going to put fear into opponents but I'd be inquiring about (the obvious) Brissett & Keenum. I'd also look into guys like Tannehill & Justin Fields who are both likely on their way out. Nick Foles & Carson Wentz are also out there but Wentz would be an absolute last option as he's a known a-hole/locker room cancer. These guys all pretty much suck but they don't PJ Walker suck.

They have to find a way to split these next 4 against Seattle, Arizona, Baltimore & Pittsburgh. If they can come out of this 4 week stretch 6-4, and Watson can come back at full strength, they have a winnable rest of the season.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 110 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 29, 2023 7:44 PM

I hate this bullshit. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 29, 2023 7:47 PM

At least 1/3 of the teams in the league don't have a good starting QB, and you think CLE is going to trade for a better backup QB?

With what draft picks and what cap money?  For who?

BR1986FB Senior Member
Sun, Oct 29, 2023 8:59 PM

And this is why PJ Walker is PJ Walker. Can't put him in a position to make him win a game for you. One read QB who had 2nd & 3rd options open all over the field all day long, including the last pick that sealed the game.

Sun, Oct 29, 2023 9:17 PM
posted by gut

At least 1/3 of the teams in the league don't have a good starting QB, and you think CLE is going to trade for a better backup QB?

With what draft picks and what cap money?  For who?

Tannehill, Brissett, etc. All available for probably a 4th or less. Browns have plenty of cap space.

It would’ve helped, but not now. Needed to happen 2 weeks ago to win this week and Arizona. Too late now and then Watson will be back.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Oct 30, 2023 7:32 AM

Saddest part about yesterday is that this may have been Stefanski's best job of coaching for 58 minutes. He's had this scrub QB in position to win 3 weeks in a row.

Two minutes left in the game and he forgets who his QB was. They probably should have run the ball but I wouldn't have had a huge issue with the call on 3rd & 3 if there was a different QB.

Shouldn't have even gotten to that point if the corner didn't have butterfingers and would've caught that pick 6 Geno gifted him.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login