Progressives, part 3...

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 23, 2024 3:37 PM
posted by justincredible

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I get it. But we do have a few statists here and that question was more for them. 

But I really shouldn't have bothered asking it because the answers are rather easy to guess:

1.) State's rights is racist!!!!!!!!

2.) Repeat #1

3.) Repeat #1 or

4.) Repeat #1

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 23, 2024 3:43 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

1.) State's rights is racist!!!!!!!!

2.) Repeat #1

3.) Repeat #1 or

4.) Repeat #1

You forgot to mention MAGA and right-wing echo chamber.

But, yes, State Rights are a relic of Jim Crow, you know.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 23, 2024 3:49 PM
posted by justincredible

I had absolutely no idea I was a Christian Nationalist. 

So now they are going straight for the most foundational principle of our republic.  

They literally are enemies of The People, and the republic. 

Beyond astounding. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 23, 2024 5:27 PM

posted by justincredible

I had absolutely no idea I was a Christian Nationalist. 

God or Congress? I'm sure thrilled to know my rights come from one of two man-made institutions designed by the powers that be to keep us plebes in line!
justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 249 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Feb 24, 2024 6:18 PM
posted by Heretic
God or Congress? I'm sure thrilled to know my rights come from one of two man-made institutions designed by the powers that be to keep us plebes in line!

Your rights are inherent in your being. Doesn't matter if you believe in God or not. The point is, they absolutely CANNOT come from man, else they would not be rights. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 1:20 PM
posted by justincredible

Your rights are inherent in your being. Doesn't matter if you believe in God or not. The point is, they absolutely CANNOT come from man, else they would not be rights. 

Maybe you should clarify things a bit for me because I'm either over-thinking or under-thinking things and with it being Sunday, I'm not overly keen on thinking at the moment.

Other than "living" what rights are inherent in my being? Way I see it, throughout history, ever since there have been -- I can't even say governments; just any sort of civilization with certain people/factions being leaders, those people have determined things like rights for their followers, typically using might of some sort to enforce their views. With the occasional rebellion when the people get fed up with how those leaders are doing their thing, potentially leading to new leaders and new standards for rights.

You can take our Constitution and all the rights to free speech, bearing arms and all that, but while a "god" might be invoked in that document, the rights therein were given by the people who had a hand in penning it. And when you look at that document over time, with the amendments made, it's obvious that through time, there have been different views having a say in changing things -- in particular the "no drinking" amendment followed by the "okay, drinking's cool again" one AND the ones that have opened up voting to people who couldn't initially.

I guess, in short, while I agree that we shouldn't depend on the shifting whims of government to tell us what our rights are, isn't that how it's been throughout history ever since the beginning of civilization? Or is there something really obvious that I'm missing in the point you're making due to over/under-thinking?

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 1:42 PM

The Constitution did not, and does not, grant rights. It is meant to prevent government from infringing on our rights to life, liberty, and property. I would say that smart people during the Enlightenment period realized that human history up to that point had been brutal and oppressive and wanted to change course. Because, again, if government decides what rights you have, you do not have any. You have privileges that the government can decide to take away at any point for any reason they see fit. Totalitarianism is bad, in short.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 1:44 PM
posted by Heretic
while I agree that we shouldn't depend on the shifting whims of government to tell us what our rights are, isn't that how it's been throughout history ever since the beginning of civilization? Or is there something really obvious that I'm missing in the point you're making due to over/under-thinking?

I think inherently, at the foundation, is the concept that everyone has the right to do whatever they please, so long as that doesn't affect someone else.  Govt, when it carries out the will of the people, is concerned primarily with restricting or limiting rights which can be detrimental to either the individual or community.

For example, everyone has the right to breathe the air.  It's free and plentiful.  When you pollute my air, it becomes a potential issue.  But what if that pollution is to heat your home and cook your food?

More or less talking about "natural rights".  Now take property, for instance, as an unnatural right.  Although talking more about land than shelter.  IMO, simply owning land is not a productive or value added use that should impose a claim of ownership on the resources.  The deer that wanders onto your property is not really your deer, and someone who might kill that deer for food hasn't stolen something from you.  Not according to property rights, but I'm talking natural rights.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 5:52 PM

Laken Riley gets murdered in Georgia by an illegal immigrant (caught and released). No one gives a shit bc she isn’t black. Yet half the country cries about Saint George Floyd. Clowns. But y’all tell me the parties are the same. They aren’t.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:05 PM
posted by iclfan2

Laken Riley gets murdered in Georgia by an illegal immigrant (caught and released). No one gives a shit bc she isn’t black. Yet half the country cries about Saint George Floyd. Clowns. But y’all tell me the parties are the same. They aren’t.

Sure they are.  Anecdotal stories like this that get people outraged are tragic.  But the fact of the matter is you’ll be outraged by something else a year from now and will forget to give a shit about this.  In the meantime, neither party gives two fucks about what’s good for anyone.  They cater to the outrage you’re feeling in the moment only as a means to an end.  Donald Trump, Joe Biden - they want one thing: power.  They could give two shits about what they have to “believe” in or say to obtain it.  The respective things they happen to be saying today are simply things that have shown beneficial to their continual quest to lord power over others.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:11 PM
posted by justincredible

The Constitution did not, and does not, grant rights. It is meant to prevent government from infringing on our rights to life, liberty, and property. I would say that smart people during the Enlightenment period realized that human history up to that point had been brutal and oppressive and wanted to change course. Because, again, if government decides what rights you have, you do not have any. You have privileges that the government can decide to take away at any point for any reason they see fit. Totalitarianism is bad, in short.

However at some point “god” said black people did not qualify as real people which was decided by “men”? 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:12 PM

Who decides what god wants?

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:14 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sure they are.  Anecdotal stories like this that get people outraged are tragic.  But the fact of the matter is you’ll be outraged by something else a year from now and will forget to give a shit about this.  In the meantime, neither party gives two fucks about what’s good for anyone.  They cater to the outrage you’re feeling in the moment only as a means to an end.  Donald Trump, Joe Biden - they want one thing: power.  They could give two shits about what they have to “believe” in or say to obtain it.  The respective things they happen to be saying today are simply things that have shown beneficial to their continual quest to lord power over others.

Shutting down the border is a simple difference. One did it, one didn’t. The numbers show this. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:38 PM
posted by iclfan2

Shutting down the border is a simple difference. One did it, one didn’t. The numbers show this. 

He didn’t “shut it down” by any stretch.  No one in the history of man has been successful at that.  Trump threw more resources at it - I’ll give you that.  But like anything, these don’t occur in a vacuum.  It happened to the detriment of other things.  

If that’s the one issue that has you most upset, then by all means, vote for Trump.  He’ll do a better job addressing your grievance in this area than Biden will.  Of that i have no doubt. 

That is if you’re not murdered by a crazed illegal alien between now and Election Day  

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 6:43 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

He didn’t “shut it down” by any stretch.  No one in the history of man has been successful at that.  Trump threw more resources at it - I’ll give you that.  But like anything, these don’t occur in a vacuum.  It happened to the detriment of other things.  

If that’s the one issue that has you most upset, then by all means, vote for Trump.  He’ll do a better job addressing your grievance in this area than Biden will.  Of that i have no doubt. 

That is if you’re not murdered by a crazed illegal alien between now and Election Day  

I’ll let you know if I die before then. It’s a simple thing that can be minimized, and Biden didn’t  and then tried to blame the right (there is no detriment to blocking the border, but ok!). There are plenty of other reasons I won’t vote for that, but it’s easy shit like slowing the border that should have been done. I’m pretty sure you know what party is giving no bail or whatever in the name of equity too. 

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 7:17 PM
posted by geeblock

Who decides what god wants?

The government, obviously.

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 7:17 PM
posted by geeblock

However at some point “god” said black people did not qualify as real people which was decided by “men”? 

Is this a question or a statement?

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 7:18 PM

Guys, the Declaration of Independence is good, actually. It's not that hard.

Sun, Feb 25, 2024 7:46 PM

Don't believe in God? That's fine, I'm not sure I do either. I'm not an athiest, and I'll still go to church with family every few years, but I don't consider myself a Christian. I am open to the idea of a God. I'm also open to the idea of the simulation theory. Whatever.

If you think it's all a bunch of shit then think of you "Creator" as your mom, you family line, or just the fact that you exist in life and were thus "created" from nothing and now here you are. Were you born free or were you born a subject of the whims of your government? 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 26, 2024 11:44 AM

Are we seriously going to be bringing up slavery abolition incrementalism and the 2/3 compromise *again*?

Like those things weren't explained in minute detail countless times already?

Are we going to pretend that we don't have a clue again, all for the sake of appeasing feelings of events that none of us have personally lived through or witnessed in real time? 

Well, alright then. I suppose it won't hurt all that much and it will give this site a bump in traffic. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login