Progressives, part 3...

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:10 PM
posted by geeblock

“A black man” lol I can find black people who think the earth is flat or who eat chalk. Doesn’t make them right or any more credible just because they are black. I know Italians who hate Italian food. Doesn’t mean itialian food is any less delicious. What makes his opinion credible or why should we care? Because he’s black? You prop up black people like avatars when they agree with you and dismiss the rest of the black opinions lol also color me shocked that rush Limbaugh’s producer puts out conservative talking points 

Again ...............shooting the messenger instead of focusing on the issues and the real facts of the GA law and voting procedures in that state and its counties and precincts. 

Try again, and start with reading the legislation  first. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:11 PM

What the media fails to tell you is that Colorado requires voter ID, for mail-in or otherwise. 

They want  you to believe their false narrative, and half of you do. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:16 PM
posted by QuakerOats

What the media fails to tell you is that Colorado requires voter ID, for mail-in or otherwise. 

They want  you to believe their false narrative, and half of you do. 

You should educate yourself.  U can show up on Election Day with your work ID with or without a photo, register to vote and then vote in Colorado. They also mail each person a ballot without you having to request it. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:17 PM
posted by geeblock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/06/colorado-voting-laws-vs-georgia/?fbclid=IwAR2P8vFPgZMLpd42smEqHO9rGpWd0BdU4fiMx3FX9LS617YG0nkO4u19-YI

That article is good, but basically says that Georgia’s law isn’t that much worse than a state with some of the least stringent rules. So not like Jim Crowe at all. They moved the game due to Corporate pressure. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:22 PM
posted by iclfan2

That article is good, but basically says that Georgia’s law isn’t that much worse than a state with some of the least stringent rules. So not like Jim Crowe at all. They moved the game due to Corporate pressure. 

Meh I mean u can use a work ID or anything almost with your name on it, with or without a picture to vote. That’s a pretty big difference. U can show up with this on Election Day and register to vote and vote on the same day. Felons can vote after their sentence is over. If you mess up your ballot it isn’t thrown out you get to fix it. They mail everyone a ballot without requesting it and have more places to turn them in. Lots of differences imo 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:27 PM
posted by jmog

The long lines and less places to vote already existed before this law and this law didn’t make it worse. It just didn’t “fix the problem”.

If this law didn’t make it worse then how are the republicans trying to lower democratic voting?

You just admitted that it just didn’t fix the problem, that it didn’t make it worse nor did it create the problem. 

Weird logic there. The law just made it harder to make any changes, so yeah, it made it worse if you look at the language. It also does not allow for any other avenues to vote other than standing in line and adds more barriers to voting by mail. 

I like how you just ignored my last point, which is the bigger point and could be the lasting legacy of the law. It makes voting in GA more political, not less. 

Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:29 PM
posted by QuakerOats

The democrats have control of voting in the democrat areas.  If there are long lines, then democrats controlling the democrat precincts and county board of elections need to fix that; it has nothing to do with republicans, or the GA legislation. 

The state election board, which is now will be without the Secretary of State and full of partisan Republicans, can stop any changes made by the County. So, no, the Ds do not have control of voting in their area. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:43 PM

I did learn today if it’s correct that Georgia is offering free ID’s I hadn’t heard that before anywhere so I’m not 100 percent sure it’s true but I did come across it several times 

Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:44 PM

This is both Progressives and COVID, but more Progressives, but the amount of shaming Texas for the Rangers opening day crowd was pretty damn bad. 

I know there NYT and Washington Post ran stories about it and twitter was aghast with people saying welp, there is the 4th wave right there. Never mind, that Texas has declining cases and way less than say NY. 

I know my progressive friends are surprised when I tell them what I can do here in Ohio compared to say MD or DC. 

I am also vaccinated while DC and MD still try and figure out how to move to the next phase. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 2:52 PM
posted by iclfan2

They moved the game due to Corporate pressure. 

Lol, to a stadium named after a family that basically was crazy and alt-right.

The population demographics of Denver v Atlanta makes no sense to move it there if that is your rallying cry

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 3:04 PM
posted by geeblock

You should educate yourself.  U can show up on Election Day with your work ID with or without a photo, register to vote and then vote in Colorado. They also mail each person a ballot without you having to request it. 

I didn't say you couldn't. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/whats-in-the-georgia-voting-law-a-guide

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 7:51 PM
posted by geeblock

Just so I’m clear are you saying they passed a group of laws that won’t specifically help republicans in the 2024 election?

I asked how it is helping them specifically not “suppressing xyz vote” what specific part of the new law suppresses anyone’s vote, and specifically democratic voters.

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 7:54 PM
posted by jmog

I asked how it is helping them specifically not “suppressing xyz vote” what specific part of the new law suppresses anyone’s vote, and specifically democratic voters.

Is that an answer? You can respond with a yea or a no 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 7:58 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Weird logic there. The law just made it harder to make any changes, so yeah, it made it worse if you look at the language. It also does not allow for any other avenues to vote other than standing in line and adds more barriers to voting by mail. 

I like how you just ignored my last point, which is the bigger point and could be the lasting legacy of the law. It makes voting in GA more political, not less. 

Nothing you just said is factual information but rather your opinion.

The factual information is that early voting was actually extended not contracted.

That voter ID requirements are not racist. 

The long lines in democratic districts existed before and still do.

People can still get water and food in line, unlike what the democrats have lied about.

What else did I miss?

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 8:19 PM
posted by jmog

To answer your question tho 

1. The law removes the vote of the secretary of the state from the election board, even tho under the ga constitution the Secretary of State oversees elections. It also puts the board under control of the legislature. 

The election board can suspend or remove any local official at anytime and for any reason. If this was the case in November they would have been able to do exactly what DT wanted them illegally to do like firing election officials in dekalb and Fulton counties. Then sending in cronies to say it’s fraud and throw out AA votes. 

You can still vote absentee but it’s now illegal for officials to send applications to every voter. It reduces time to request a ballot and restricts organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires absentee voters to jump through hoops that in person voters don’t. 

They are ending early voting at 5 pm making it harder for people who work to get to the polls after work. It also limits mobile voting units. 

It limits the number of ballot boxes unnecessarily and makes it harder for officials to place new ones. 

I’m not even going to get in the absurdity of the water/food regulations as I know u can’t provide any reason this was necessary and just kind of ignore it, but if it didn’t matter they wouldn’t do it. 

They also ended voting on Sunday’s when many programs took black people to vote after church on Sunday’s. 

Can all of these things be overcome ? Sure. But in an extremely close election it could certainly matter. Overall as I have said I think it’s going to have the opposite effect and it’s going to cause a rally that has not been seen before to get voters out in GA. 

Overall the laws discourage absentee voting and increase chances of longer lines at the polls in urban areas. 

Overall 5 million people voted in Georgia and they decided they didn’t want trump or loeffler. The election was decided within 12,000 votes. So instead of trying to win 12,000 votes they are 100 percent setting themselves up to gain an advantage however slight in 2024. I think most objective people see that. It would make no sense for them to go through all that just to make laws that don’t benefit gop. You would have to be incredibly dumb or a liar to not admit it. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 9:12 PM
posted by geeblock

1. The law removes the vote of the secretary of the state from the election board, even tho under the ga constitution the Secretary of State oversees elections. It also puts the board under control of the legislature. 

The election board can suspend or remove any local official at anytime and for any reason. If this was the case in November they would have been able to do exactly what DT wanted them illegally to do like firing election officials in dekalb and Fulton counties. Then sending in cronies to say it’s fraud and throw out AA votes. 

You can still vote absentee but it’s now illegal for officials to send applications to every voter. It reduces time to request a ballot and restricts organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires absentee voters to jump through hoops that in person voters don’t. 

They are ending early voting at 5 pm making it harder for people who work to get to the polls after work. It also limits mobile voting units. 

It limits the number of ballot boxes unnecessarily and makes it harder for officials to place new ones. 

I’m not even going to get in the absurdity of the water/food regulations as I know u can’t provide any reason this was necessary and just kind of ignore it, but if it didn’t matter they wouldn’t do it. 

They also ended voting on Sunday’s when many programs took black people to vote after church on Sunday’s. 

Can all of these things be overcome ? Sure. But in an extremely close election it could certainly matter. Overall as I have said I think it’s going to have the opposite effect and it’s going to cause a rally that has not been seen before to get voters out in GA. 

Overall the laws discourage absentee voting and increase chances of longer lines at the polls in urban areas. 

Overall 5 million people voted in Georgia and they decided they didn’t want trump or loeffler. The election was decided within 12,000 votes. So instead of trying to win 12,000 votes they are 100 percent setting themselves up to gain an advantage however slight in 2024. I think most objective people see that. It would make no sense for them to go through all that just to make laws that don’t benefit gop. You would have to be incredibly dumb or a liar to not admit it. 

Pretty well laid out geeblock. That's a damn good summary. 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 11:04 PM
posted by geeblock

Man, possibly tomorrow I will go one by one and pick apart this crap full of misinformation. But for now I am just on my cell phone and it would be too much work. 

I wonder sometimes if you get your information straight from Vox.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 7:38 AM
posted by jmog

Man, possibly tomorrow I will go one by one and pick apart this crap full of misinformation. 

We all anxiously await with bated breath. 

Wed, Apr 7, 2021 8:06 AM
posted by jmog

Nothing you just said is factual information but rather your opinion.

The factual information is that early voting was actually extended not contracted.

That voter ID requirements are not racist. 

The long lines in democratic districts existed before and still do.

People can still get water and food in line, unlike what the democrats have lied about.

What else did I miss?

The fact that the Secretary of State is removed from the process greatly, and that any and all changes at the County level can be blocked by this state level committee that will be led by partisan Republicans. You keep glossing over that part.  

So, if Fulton County wants to add more voting machines or extend hours, this State level committee, that does not include the Secretary of State, can block that. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login