Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 8:10 AM
posted by geeblock

To answer your question tho 

1. The law removes the vote of the secretary of the state from the election board, even tho under the ga constitution the Secretary of State oversees elections. It also puts the board under control of the legislature. 

The election board can suspend or remove any local official at anytime and for any reason. If this was the case in November they would have been able to do exactly what DT wanted them illegally to do like firing election officials in dekalb and Fulton counties. Then sending in cronies to say it’s fraud and throw out AA votes. 

You can still vote absentee but it’s now illegal for officials to send applications to every voter. It reduces time to request a ballot and restricts organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires absentee voters to jump through hoops that in person voters don’t. 

They are ending early voting at 5 pm making it harder for people who work to get to the polls after work. It also limits mobile voting units. 

It limits the number of ballot boxes unnecessarily and makes it harder for officials to place new ones. 

I’m not even going to get in the absurdity of the water/food regulations as I know u can’t provide any reason this was necessary and just kind of ignore it, but if it didn’t matter they wouldn’t do it. 

They also ended voting on Sunday’s when many programs took black people to vote after church on Sunday’s. 

Can all of these things be overcome ? Sure. But in an extremely close election it could certainly matter. Overall as I have said I think it’s going to have the opposite effect and it’s going to cause a rally that has not been seen before to get voters out in GA. 

Overall the laws discourage absentee voting and increase chances of longer lines at the polls in urban areas. 

Overall 5 million people voted in Georgia and they decided they didn’t want trump or loeffler. The election was decided within 12,000 votes. So instead of trying to win 12,000 votes they are 100 percent setting themselves up to gain an advantage however slight in 2024. I think most objective people see that. It would make no sense for them to go through all that just to make laws that don’t benefit gop. You would have to be incredibly dumb or a liar to not admit it. 

I think that is mostly right reading through the language, except...they did keep the Sunday voting. That was taken out at the last version that passed. 

To me, the Secretary of State being removed from the State Election Board that will now be headed by partisan Republicans that can block anything a County wants to do is the biggest thing.

Again, the GA Secretary of State did a great job last year. His reward is he gets his power kneecapped.  

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 8:40 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I think that is mostly right reading through the language, except...they did keep the Sunday voting. That was taken out at the last version that passed. 

To me, the Secretary of State being removed from the State Election Board that will now be headed by partisan Republicans that can block anything a County wants to do is the biggest thing.

Again, the GA Secretary of State did a great job last year. His reward is he gets his power kneecapped.  

You are correct they do allow for 2 Sundays I did not know that thank  you. I also found out yesterday that they will have the option to apply stay open till 7 pm for early voting. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 8:48 AM
posted by geeblock

Just so I’m clear are you saying they passed a group of laws that won’t specifically help republicans in the 2024 election?

Can you take time to answer this question? Not what you think or I think but the legislature. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 1:57 PM

At the root is this:  the left can label as racist this or any other legislation that they wish, but all of it incorrectly presumes that blacks cannot follow rules, are too ignorant to follow the rules, are too ignorant to obtain photo ID's, are too ignorant to register or request absentee ballots, and on and on and on ........... and ALL OF THAT BULLSHIT coming from woke liberals is, in and of itself, incredibly racist on its face!   The rules and the laws are the exact same for everyone, and EVERYONE is more than capable of understanding and abiding by the rules, including managing their own precincts.  Liberals thinking that blacks can't understand and follow the rules is horrifically racist.  But of course in their world, accusing the other side of doing exactly that which you are doing is how you win the (propaganda) war. 

The new legislation is not racist in any way, but it does help with vote integrity and limiting election fraud.  And THAT is  precisely why liberals are losing their minds, thus having to play their race card, yet again, because they can't win on merit.

It is refreshing to see so many blacks finally calling out the liberals who have systemically failed and lied to the black community for five decades. 

Wed, Apr 7, 2021 2:30 PM
posted by QuakerOats

At the root is this:  the left can label as racist this or any other legislation that they wish, but all of it incorrectly presumes that blacks cannot follow rules, are too ignorant to follow the rules, are too ignorant to obtain photo ID's, are too ignorant to register or request absentee ballots, and on and on and on ........... and ALL OF THAT BULLSHIT coming from woke liberals is, in and of itself, incredibly racist on its face!   The rules and the laws are the exact same for everyone, and EVERYONE is more than capable of understanding and abiding by the rules, including managing their own precincts.  Liberals thinking that blacks can't understand and follow the rules is horrifically racist.  But of course in their world, accusing the other side of doing exactly that which you are doing is how you win the (propaganda) war. 

The new legislation is not racist in any way, but it does help with vote integrity and limiting election fraud.  And THAT is  precisely why liberals are losing their minds, thus having to play their race card, yet again, because they can't win on merit.

It is refreshing to see so many blacks finally calling out the liberals who have systemically failed and lied to the black community for five decades. 

The bolded part is not an issue, according to the Secretary of State of Georgia. There was no fraud in 2020. The law also reduces his own role and turns it over to a Republican partisan committee.  So, again, it tries to tackle problem that does not exist. Widespread fraud does not exist. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 4:38 PM

The fact that the Secretary of State is removed from the process greatly, and that any and all changes at the County level can be blocked by this state level committee that will be led by partisan Republicans. You keep glossing over that part.  

So, if Fulton County wants to add more voting machines or extend hours, this State level committee, that does not include the Secretary of State, can block that. 

I get how this could be construed as a Republican/racist thing but doesn’t that just mean that in the next election cycle that the governor and legislature switch parties and the democrats are in “control” according to this new law?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 5:10 PM

The bolded part is not an issue, according to the Secretary of State of Georgia. There was no fraud in 2020. The law also reduces his own role and turns it over to a Republican partisan committee.  So, again, it tries to tackle problem that does not exist. Widespread fraud does not exist. 

Fraud exists everywhere to some extent.  But a concentrated effort at fraud was instituted in just a few key counties/states that would be enough to take the election, which is part of why over 300 pre-election lawsuits were filed by leftists that included backdoor deals made with, again, a few key election officials, i.e. secretaries of state, in just a few states that swung the election.  There was no time (especially with covid) to challenge, fight, and win all those lawsuits prior to the election, and it had to occur prior to the election.  Tens of millions of voters believe the election was thusly 'stolen'; they are not wrong. 

Hence, we have certain states trying to prevent the raid that occurred in their state, and everyone should champion any changes that go toward limiting fraud and enhancing vote integrity. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 5:13 PM
posted by jmog

I get how this could be construed as a Republican/racist thing but doesn’t that just mean that in the next election cycle that the governor and legislature switch parties and the democrats are in “control” according to this new law?

We anxiously await your promised repudiation of geeblock's points. Please wash over us that intelligence you have in such abundance. 

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 8:20 AM
posted by jmog

Not arguing it is racist, so not sure why you keep using that. Also, the Ds have the same amount of chance to retake the Georgia Statehouse as Ds have here in Ohio in taking the Statehouse, So, I highly doubt it will happen anytime soon and is a lame excuse. 

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 8:21 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Fraud exists everywhere to some extent.  But a concentrated effort at fraud was instituted in just a few key counties/states that would be enough to take the election, which is part of why over 300 pre-election lawsuits were filed by leftists that included backdoor deals made with, again, a few key election officials, i.e. secretaries of state, in just a few states that swung the election.  There was no time (especially with covid) to challenge, fight, and win all those lawsuits prior to the election, and it had to occur prior to the election.  Tens of millions of voters believe the election was thusly 'stolen'; they are not wrong. 

Hence, we have certain states trying to prevent the raid that occurred in their state, and everyone should champion any changes that go toward limiting fraud and enhancing vote integrity. 

Yes they are. They are very wrong. 

There was no fraud in 2020 that influenced anything. The Georgia Secretary of State has said since November he saw zero! evidence of fraud. Zero. Stop believing the lie that the election was stolen. It was not. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 9:59 AM

Stop believing Joe Biden received 80 million legitimate votes.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 10:16 AM
posted by QuakerOats

If Trump said mud was water, you'd no doubt drink it.

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 2:35 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I think there is more evidence of UFOs and Bigfoot than actual voter fraud last year, but you do you! 

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 2:42 PM

I think there is more evidence of UFOs and Bigfoot than actual voter fraud last year, but you do you! 

The facts that states like Georgia, counties in Arizona and other places violated election law by destroying ballots and wipping voting machines clean doesn’t count as evidence?

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 2:59 PM
posted by Fletch

The facts that states like Georgia, counties in Arizona and other places violated election law by destroying ballots and wipping voting machines clean doesn’t count as evidence?

Nope. That did not happen. Not according to the court cases and their own departments that oversee the elections. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Nope. That did not happen. Not according to the court cases and their own departments that oversee the elections. 

They never heard the cases and refused to see the evidence (or lack of evidence)

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 3:13 PM
posted by Spock

They never heard the cases and refused to see the evidence (or lack of evidence)

Yeah, cause they were dismissed because the evidence was lacking. They were all laughed out of court. 

Fraud did not happen in 2020. Full stop. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 7:56 PM
posted by geeblock

1. The law removes the vote of the secretary of the state from the election board, even tho under the ga constitution the Secretary of State oversees elections. It also puts the board under control of the legislature. 

The law does remove the Secretary of State as a voting member.  However your statement that the Georgia constitution grants the Secretary of State the authority to be the "overseer" of elections is misleading.  It only requires that returns be made to the Secretary of State.  The methods and laws governing what votes are accepted or rejected are made by the legislature.  What role the Secretary of State plays before receiving the returns is in the hands of the legislature. I don't have time to read the whole Georgia constitution but the table of contents led me to this:  Article II Section II Paragraph I.  
majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 7:58 PM
posted by geeblock

The election board can suspend or remove any local official at anytime and for any reason. If this was the case in November they would have been able to do exactly what DT wanted them illegally to do like firing election officials in dekalb and Fulton counties. Then sending in cronies to say it’s fraud and throw out AA votes. 

It is correct the election board can suspend and remove.  But anytime and for any reason is misleading.  I clicked on the link to the raw text that the average media outlet does not expect the average dupe to click on and most of the rest to immediately flee once laying eyes on it.  Read sections 6&7 it addresses the bolded.  I read a good bit of it and came to my conclusion on the bolded.  They provide nice line numbers if you want to point out where I am wrong.  The rest of your statement is hogwash.
majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Apr 8, 2021 8:03 PM
posted by geeblock

You can still vote absentee but it’s now illegal for officials to send applications to every voter. It reduces time to request a ballot and restricts organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires absentee voters to jump through hoops that in person voters don’t. 

They are ending early voting at 5 pm making it harder for people who work to get to the polls after work. It also limits mobile voting units. 

It limits the number of ballot boxes unnecessarily and makes it harder for officials to place new ones. 

The bolded did not exist in Ga law prior to the changes.  Both are the product of state of emergency decisions because of the covid pandemic and would expire post emergency.  The mailing of absentee ballots to every voter was only done in the primary election not the general.   Does it not make sense to create law governing the use of these methods going forward?  The term "limits drop boxes" is used when the law actually solidifies a permanent use of them that did not exist before.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login