Progressives, part 3...

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 11:13 AM
posted by superman
Thankfully, the racist Democrats are no longer in charge of those states. 

Libertarians stumping for extra unnecessary laws is comical 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 11:56 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Just changed parties over the last 40 years...

Ah, the old southern  shuffle huh?

Just one question...

I think we can all agree that since the 1950s/60s and Jim Crowe era that the southern states have slowly become less racist over time, yes? I would hope we all agree that the south is less racist now than it was in 1960?

Given that agreement, as the south has become less racist, why has it become more Republican?

Just a thought experiment to counter the ole southern switcharoo. 

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 12:05 PM

Found a video of geeblock trying to switch up a debate after getting destroyed by facts and logic. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 12:58 PM
posted by jmog

Ah, the old southern  shuffle huh?

Just one question...

I think we can all agree that since the 1950s/60s and Jim Crowe era that the southern states have slowly become less racist over time, yes? I would hope we all agree that the south is less racist now than it was in 1960?

Given that agreement, as the south has become less racist, why has it become more Republican?

Just a thought experiment to counter the ole southern switcharoo. 

I was being a tad tongue in cheek, but yeah. 

Yes, we all can agree the south, and the country as a whole is less racist than the 1960s.  But, the history of the south post 60s is a complex history and just saying they are less racist now and that is either because of or a result of being Republican is too simplistic. 

The morphing of the southern dixiecrat into the modern Republican really started in the 70s and grew in the 80s with the Reagan revolution and the southern strategy. Mix in the rise of the evangelics, and rise of talk radio in the 90s, you get the rise of the modern small Government R party that took over the dixiecrats. 

I think Republicans in the south are not racist, not at all. They just want to stay in power. The largest democratic base in the south just happens to be African Americans and thus by restricting or making it harder for them to vote, they stay in power longer. That is the reason for the new laws in Georgia. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 2:22 PM

While the law is not as bad as initially advertised, it still sucks and tries to restrict voting access even further. Georgia has a pretty bad history with voting rights and access. The lines and access was already bad in 2020 and this has made it worse. It tries to solve a problem that does not exist. That is something conservatives usually blast liberals for doing. 

You want to talk about unifying, how about not passing this shitty law? 

Complete bullshit.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 2:23 PM

And screw the MLB commissioner and every other weak, woke, spineless jackass in positions of leadership who are doing anything but.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 2:33 PM

I was being a tad tongue in cheek, but yeah. 

Yes, we all can agree the south, and the country as a whole is less racist than the 1960s.  But, the history of the south post 60s is a complex history and just saying they are less racist now and that is either because of or a result of being Republican is too simplistic. 

The morphing of the southern dixiecrat into the modern Republican really started in the 70s and grew in the 80s with the Reagan revolution and the southern strategy. Mix in the rise of the evangelics, and rise of talk radio in the 90s, you get the rise of the modern small Government R party that took over the dixiecrats. 

I think Republicans in the south are not racist, not at all. They just want to stay in power. The largest democratic base in the south just happens to be African Americans and thus by restricting or making it harder for them to vote, they stay in power longer. That is the reason for the new laws in Georgia. 

So you now believe the new law's main goal is to restrict black vote so therefore you believe the new law is racist? I just want to confirm before I laugh off your post.

Edited spelling mistakes out...

Mon, Apr 5, 2021 2:49 PM
posted by jmog

So you now believe the new law's main goal is to restrict black vote so therefore you believe the new law is racist? I just want to confirm before I laugh off your post.

Edited spelling mistakes out...

Nope. You just misread my last part. Republicans in Georgia and elsewhere want to stay in power, thus trying to make it harder to vote in high democratic areas. Those areas just happen to be in large African American areas in GA. 

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 2:57 PM

Nope. You just misread my last part. Republicans in Georgia and elsewhere want to stay in power, thus trying to make it harder to vote in high democratic areas. Those areas just happen to be in large African American areas in GA. 

Ok, forgive me for my next question then.

What, specifically, in the law is directly restricting people from voting in "democratic" areas vs "republican" areas? Are there different rules created for the law based on district that I am missing? 

Mon, Apr 5, 2021 3:06 PM
posted by jmog

Ok, forgive me for my next question then.

What, specifically, in the law is directly restricting people from voting in "democratic" areas vs "republican" areas? Are there different rules created for the law based on district that I am missing? 

My reading of the law is yes, in larger areas (D) it makes it harder to vote than rural areas (R)  as in there are simply less places to vote and does not solve the long lines problem that GA saw the last few years. The NYT link posted already has references in the final text of that.  

The bigger thing is it takes power away from the Secretary of State and hands more power over to the state legislators, and the State Election Board, which is Republican. As I said previously, the Secretary of State did a great job last year. His reward is he gets his power reduced and kicked off the State Election Board.  If anything state elections should be free from any politics, which this law does the opposite.  

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Apr 5, 2021 5:07 PM

My reading of the law is yes, in larger areas (D) it makes it harder to vote than rural areas (R)  as in there are simply less places to vote and does not solve the long lines problem that GA saw the last few years. The NYT link posted already has references in the final text of that.  

The bigger thing is it takes power away from the Secretary of State and hands more power over to the state legislators, and the State Election Board, which is Republican. As I said previously, the Secretary of State did a great job last year. His reward is he gets his power reduced and kicked off the State Election Board.  If anything state elections should be free from any politics, which this law does the opposite.  

The long lines and less places to vote already existed before this law and this law didn’t make it worse. It just didn’t “fix the problem”.

If this law didn’t make it worse then how are the republicans trying to lower democratic voting?

You just admitted that it just didn’t fix the problem, that it didn’t make it worse nor did it create the problem. 
geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 3:39 AM
posted by jmog

The long lines and less places to vote already existed before this law and this law didn’t make it worse. It just didn’t “fix the problem”.

If this law didn’t make it worse then how are the republicans trying to lower democratic voting?

You just admitted that it just didn’t fix the problem, that it didn’t make it worse nor did it create the problem. 

Just so I’m clear are you saying they passed a group of laws that won’t specifically help republicans in the 2024 election?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 11:58 AM

The democrats have control of voting in the democrat areas.  If there are long lines, then democrats controlling the democrat precincts and county board of elections need to fix that; it has nothing to do with republicans, or the GA legislation. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 12:03 PM
posted by QuakerOats

The democrats have control of voting in the democrat areas.  If there are long lines, then democrats controlling the democrat precincts and county board of elections need to fix that; it has nothing to do with republicans, or the GA legislation. 

This.  I am not sure they want to fix it.  Its a political issue with no end.

Not sure why we just dont have a national voting day.  Shut it all down for one day and have people vote.

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 1:17 PM
posted by QuakerOats

James  Golden, a black man, explains it quite well:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/limbaugh-producer-bo-snerdley-blasts-democrats-depraved-view-that-black-americans-are-unable-to-get-id

“A black man” lol I can find black people who think the earth is flat or who eat chalk. Doesn’t make them right or any more credible just because they are black. I know Italians who hate Italian food. Doesn’t mean itialian food is any less delicious. What makes his opinion credible or why should we care? Because he’s black? You prop up black people like avatars when they agree with you and dismiss the rest of the black opinions lol also color me shocked that rush Limbaugh’s producer puts out conservative talking points 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 6, 2021 1:18 PM
posted by Spock

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2021/04/05/mlb-moves-all-star-game-to-colorado-which-has-voter-id-and-fewer-early-voting-days-than-ga/

Fail.  

I’ve been saying for two days that the voter ID issue had very little to do with why they moved the game 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login