Impressed by the Trump administration part II

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 19, 2020 10:12 AM
posted by iclfan2

Nah, nuke China for fucking this up in the first place

China needs to knock their shit off.

And our press needs to stop parroting their propaganda.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Mar 19, 2020 10:51 AM
posted by QuakerOats

China needs to knock their shit off.

And our press needs to stop parroting their propaganda.

We are the ones who got in bed with them. This situation may cause us to rethink our globalization ambitions. This isn't partisan either.  It's the choice our entire population has been making  - every one of us that's every walked into a Walmart - has been onboard with this for 30 years. Maybe this will serve as a reset. 

Thu, Mar 19, 2020 5:00 PM

Trump continues to do a good job overall. But he needs to stop with this "Chinese Virus" stuff. That isn't helping anyone or anything. He's doing to stir shit up and this is not the time. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 19, 2020 5:59 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Trump continues to do a good job overall. But he needs to stop with this "Chinese Virus" stuff. That isn't helping anyone or anything. He's doing to stir shit up and this is not the time. 

Agreed.  What he's DONE has been pretty good.  He just needs to shut TF up about it.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 19, 2020 10:15 PM

We call the flu that started in Spain the Spanish flu to this day. I don’t understand the difference?

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 12:03 AM
posted by jmog

We call the flu that started in Spain the Spanish flu to this day. I don’t understand the difference?

Feelings.  Feelings are the only difference.  

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 1:32 AM
posted by jmog

Technically the moniker isn't accurate and, thus, not really an adequate justification for the name.

Actually, there's some pretty good material on the topic.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/first-world-war/why-was-spanish-flu-pandemic-known-called-that-where-did-name-come-from-spain-myth-coronavirus-covid-19-name/
https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

Per Claude Hannoun, the leading expert on the 1918 flu for the Pasteur Institute, the 1918 flu (funnily enough resulting from the H1N1 virus) may have originated in China and began running through military bases and forts in the US before it made its way to Europe.  The first known case was actually in Kansas.  I've seen a few other theories, but not one from any credible authorities cites Spain as a likely origin.

Best I can find, nobody actually knows who started calling it the Spanish flu or why they did so.  Given that it's not even accurate, the only reason I can come up with to justify calling it that is that it's just always been called that, for better or worse.  Doesn't make it a very good precedent for trying to defend calling the COVID-19 virus the "Chinese virus," though.

Having said that, I'm not nearly as up in arms over calling it that as many are.  I just think it's a dumb thing to call it and an even dumber hill for people to die on.  It's a pandemic.  It's all over the world, and it seemed to get that way quickly.  Hanging an entire country's identity on the virus because one backward bumpkin didn't cook his bat shit soup enough seems silly.

Rotinaj Senior Member
7,878 posts 49 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 4:17 AM
posted by jmog

Well aside from what Otrap already posted, it isn't quite 1918 anymore. We know what the virus is called. Neither Covid-19 or Coronavirus are hard to say or remember. Why call it the Chinese virus unless you are just trying to be an ass?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 7:18 AM
posted by Rotinaj

Well aside from what Otrap already posted, it isn't quite 1918 anymore. We know what the virus is called. Neither Covid-19 or Coronavirus are hard to say or remember. Why call it the Chinese virus unless you are just trying to be an ass?

It’s because the shit media is spreading Chinese propaganda that it might have started from the US. China also hid the fact it was happening and are completely responsible for the spread to all these countries. Fuck China, it’s not racist to say it, and the media really needs to quit asking him about it in his pressers bc they look like idiots. 

Also, there are numerous screenshots with news sources calling it Chinese Coronavirus and Wuhan Virus weeks ago, they only recently decided it should be called racist now.  This garbage about caring what he calls it and saying it’s racist is how you got Trump in the first place. 

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 7:38 AM
posted by superman

Feelings.  Feelings are the only difference.  

No, I understand that, which is why, while I criticize Trump for a lot of his crap, this one I laugh at those calling him racist for calling it the Chinese Flu.

History tells us we typically name a flue based on its origin, either by type of animal or geological location, i.e. bird, swine, spanish, etc.

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 7:42 AM
posted by iclfan2

It’s because the shit media is spreading Chinese propaganda that it might have started from the US. China also hid the fact it was happening and are completely responsible for the spread to all these countries. Fuck China, it’s not racist to say it, and the media really needs to quit asking him about it in his pressers bc they look like idiots. 

Also, there are numerous screenshots with news sources calling it Chinese Coronavirus and Wuhan Virus weeks ago, they only recently decided it should be called racist now.  This garbage about caring what he calls it and saying it’s racist is how you got Trump in the first place. 

I was just about to post this.

If that's the reason its petty, but its also Trump's modus operandi. You attack us/me; I attack back.

Again, not saying its a good reason, but it also doesn't make it "racist" like the left is insinuating. 

Rotinaj Senior Member
7,878 posts 49 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 7:48 AM
posted by iclfan2

Serious question. Are the leaders/citizens of any other country calling it the Chinese flu? If others around the world are doing the same then im perfectly fine with it. I have a feeling the answer is probably no.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 8:17 AM
posted by Rotinaj

Serious question. Are the leaders/citizens of any other country calling it the Chinese flu? If others around the world are doing the same then im perfectly fine with it. I have a feeling the answer is probably no.

Who cares what anyone else around the world is calling it.  Who cares what we are calling it.  This debate on this thread is retarded.  The way the media has spun this to keep the "Orange man is racist" narrative is sickening.  THe media should be doing their job and reporting the news not trying to create it.

Fri, Mar 20, 2020 8:44 AM

I don't think it's "racist" to use the term. I just think now is not the time to be Petty about this. There'll be plenty of time to point fingers if that's what people want to do. But for now it is serving no purpose. 

Fri, Mar 20, 2020 8:48 AM
posted by iclfan2

That's a cop out. There are right wing media spreading stories about it being engineered in a lab in NC. So what. Most reasonable people are concerned with what we are doing to fight it, not some half-baked conspiracy theory. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 8:53 AM

That's a cop out. There are right wing media spreading stories about it being engineered in a lab in NC. So what. Most reasonable people are concerned with what we are doing to fight it, not some half-baked conspiracy theory. 

If they are concerned with what we are doing to fight it, then ignore him calling it that instead of asking him in the presser 20 times. Him calling it the Chinese virus has no effect on anyone, so why bring it up and then cry racism? Again, fuck China.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 8:56 AM

IMO, it's childish to call it Chinese or Kung Flu or whatever. It's about equally childish to be concerned about what it's being called, we have some things just a little more important to worry about.

Fri, Mar 20, 2020 9:00 AM
posted by iclfan2

If they are concerned with what we are doing to fight it, then ignore him calling it that instead of asking him in the presser 20 times. Him calling it the Chinese virus has no effect on anyone, so why bring it up and then cry racism? Again, fuck China.

Unfortunately there are a lot of dumbasses in the world that can't separate the actions of the Chinese government with Chinese people. There are a lot of Chinese living in the US and they are on our side. Dumbasses won't be able yo differentiate those two facts and will blame them. Think of Japanese Americans during WW2 or German Americans during WW1. There was a lot of dumbass activity because people couldn't differentiate. 

As for the media - don't watch what you don't like. There are plenty of outlets available that will allow gn with your worldview. Stick to them if it makes you feel better. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 12:59 PM

Holy shit, this Trump press conference was going fine and then he just went off on an NBC reporter who asked him, "What do you say to Americans who are scared?" Trump: "I say that you're a terrible reporter."

WTF dude. Take the layup and say, "I say to them stay strong and we have it under control." Instead he just goes off and sounds just petty. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Mar 20, 2020 2:27 PM

I thought Kung Flu was pretty catchy

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login