Impressed by the Trump administration part II

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 2:12 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Interested to hear your "understanding" of history.

I'll summarize to save time:

"Everything Republicans have done has been good, unless it was a Republican who stood against the majority of other Republicans ... they, they were just RINOs (see: John McCain, Mitt Romney, et al.).  Meanwhile, everything Democrats have done is bad, unless it was a Democrat who stood against the majority of the other Democrats."

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 2:19 PM

Trumps comments on world affairs back then were true then and remained the same for decades.  Foreign trade imbalances, NATO countries skimming out on their responsibilities etc..... were all correct.  What his presidency has done is reverse all that.  

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 2:29 PM
posted by Spock

Trumps comments on world affairs back then were true then and remained the same for decades.  Foreign trade imbalances, NATO countries skimming out on their responsibilities etc..... were all correct.  What his presidency has done is reverse all that.  

Nope. The Japan fear turned out to be false. Japan did not surpass the US in terms of economic growth. He was dead wrong about that. 

I would also say his views on trade during the 80s and 90s were off given the Cold War and growth of the economy in the 90s. 

Also, the NATO thing is a little more complicated as the issue didn't exist in the 80s or early 90s, given the freaking Cold War was still going on. 

The issue has really only grown during the years after 9/11 where he does deserve credit for getting members to chip in more of the %. 

However, that does not mean countries are paying us back billions. If that was the case....the debt would be going down. Instead, it is at a record high. I'm still waiting on Mexico to pay of for the wall..

There is no language in the new trade agreement for that....

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 2:30 PM
posted by Spock

Reducing the trade deficit by (mostly) decreasing imports is not particularly ideal.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by O-Trap

I'll summarize to save time:

"Everything Republicans have done has been good, unless it was a Republican who stood against the majority of other Republicans ... they, they were just RINOs (see: John McCain, Mitt Romney, et al.).  Meanwhile, everything Democrats have done is bad, unless it was a Democrat who stood against the majority of the other Democrats."

Wed, Feb 12, 2020 3:25 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Nope. The Japan fear turned out to be false. Japan did not surpass the US in terms of economic growth. He was dead wrong about that. 

I would also say his views on trade during the 80s and 90s were off given the way end of the Cold War and growth of the economy in the 90s. 

Also, the NATO thing is a little more complicated as the issue didn't exist in the 80s or early 90s, given the freaking Cold War was still going on. 

The issue has really only grown during the years after 9/11 where he does deserve credit for getting members to chip in more of the %. 

However, that does not mean countries are paying us back billions. If that was the case....the debt would be going down. Instead, it is at a record high. I'm still waiting on Mexico to pay of for the wall..

There is no language in the new trade agreement for that....

"Just because it's not in the agreement doesn't mean it's not going to happen.  He's still gonna make them pay for it with ...

posted by queencitybuckeye

Reducing the trade deficit by (mostly) decreasing imports is not particularly ideal.

Shit, yeah.  We could go into financial ruin and get our import and export close to zero.  That would "reduce the trade deficit."

The tariff solution thus far has been the equivalent to someone going through a divorce sinking his boat just to keep his wife from taking it.  Yeah, you accomplished the goal, but ...

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 4:56 PM

“Nearly six in 10 Americans (59%) now say they are better off financially than they were a year ago, up from 50% last year.”

“About three in four U.S. adults (74%) predict they will be better off financially a year from now, the highest in Gallup’s trend since 1977.”

Another record high in the market today.

Take care.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 5:13 PM

I've been better off financially every year for 35 years in a row.

THANKS.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 5:39 PM
posted by QuakerOats

“Nearly six in 10 Americans (59%) now say they are better off financially than they were a year ago, up from 50% last year.”

“About three in four U.S. adults (74%) predict they will be better off financially a year from now, the highest in Gallup’s trend since 1977.”

Another record high in the market today.

Take care.

The stock market eventually moves up, so there are constantly "record" highs.  I bet there have been thousands of them since 1900.  Meaningless metric.  

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 7:16 PM

The stock market eventually moves up, so there are constantly "record" highs.  I bet there have been thousands of them since 1900.  Meaningless metric.  

Lol at "meaningless" comment

Thu, Feb 13, 2020 2:00 AM
posted by Spock

Actually, he's right:

https://www.thebalance.com/dow-jones-closing-history-top-highs-and-lows-since-1929-3306174

Thu, Feb 13, 2020 9:28 AM
posted by Spock

As a barometer of a sitting president, yes.  Each president experiences hundreds of "record highs".  That's the nature of the index.  Inflation constantly experiences "record highs" as an index over time as well. 

Thu, Feb 13, 2020 4:54 PM

Retired Marine General John Kelly has joined the list of people who were once valued enough to serve as close advisers to the president, but are now apparently untrustworthy and desperate.  That's fair, Marines that make general usually fall into this category.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 14, 2020 8:22 AM
posted by Automatik

I've been better off financially every year for 35 years in a row.

THANKS.

To be fair, I doubt this statement is true given the complete market crash in 2008. 

I guess it could be, looking back I switched companies during the crash and got a 30% salary increase so ignore my comment...

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 14, 2020 8:24 AM

My post was in jest, but the point is true. In my “working” career, every year has been better than the previous. 

Also, I graduated college in ‘08.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Feb 14, 2020 11:47 AM

Retired Marine General John Kelly has joined the list of people who were once valued enough to serve as close advisers to the president, but are now apparently untrustworthy and desperate.  That's fair, Marines that make general usually fall into this category.  

They're humans too.

We bought a house from a Major General in the army. He was the most dishonest person I've met. He was even caught in a lie from one of the contractors who he asked to lie for him after an inspection. Not every high ranking person is always going to be honest and decent. They're just people too. 

Fri, Feb 14, 2020 12:19 PM
posted by kizer permanente

They're humans too.

We bought a house from a Major General in the army. He was the most dishonest person I've met. He was even caught in a lie from one of the contractors who he asked to lie for him after an inspection. Not every high ranking person is always going to be honest and decent. They're just people too. 

Something that's always bugged me is an assumption that a career automatically makes a person more or less trustworthy.  There's no special requirement that enables one to trust that police officers and/or military personnel are somehow less likely to be unscrupulous assholes than the rest of the population.

There's actually a theory to suggest that professions like that, which society seems to view with an implicit level of trust, actually attract unscrupulous people at a higher rate.

Fri, Feb 14, 2020 12:19 PM
posted by kizer permanente

They're humans too.

Well, Trump thought well enough of the guy to hire him as his chief of staff and to keep him in that role for a while.  Now all of a sudden, the guy's an idiot with not character.  Doesn't mesh.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Feb 14, 2020 12:34 PM

Well, Trump thought well enough of the guy to hire him as his chief of staff and to keep him in that role for a while.  Now all of a sudden, the guy's an idiot with not character.  Doesn't mesh.

That speaks more to Trump. I'm actually waiting for him to pick this guy to something. He seems to be right up his alley.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 17, 2020 11:26 AM

Great stuff at the Daytona 500 yesterday.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login