7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 1:26 PM

Michigan is really un-guessable to me.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 125 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 1:31 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Not to mention the black male vote. Usually Michigan is a lock for the Dems. Minnesota has a lot of Muslim-Americans too. Surprised we haven't heard more about them.

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 2:17 PM
posted by Trueblue23

I'm an independent.  I have voted on both sides of the aisle, and do so down the ticket now.

I didnt mean you, and same. I don't usually frequent this thread, because it's talking in circles. Both sides imo can make compelling cases on issues, but there is no point in actual posting back and forth when 60% -- if not more -- of people have their mind made up for the rest of their lives who they are voting for. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 2:57 PM
posted by Laley23

I didnt mean you, and same. I don't usually frequent this thread, because it's talking in circles. Both sides imo can make compelling cases on issues, but there is no point in actual posting back and forth when 60% -- if not more -- of people have their mind made up for the rest of their lives who they are voting for. 

Yeah, I can agree with this. Because for myself I won't be voting Dem at the federal level unless or until they somehow become a decent block. Republicans are right behind them. The span between them is finer than frogs hair. 

And like I mentioned earlier, the Dems closer to me at the local levels are getting sick, too. So they will also be losing voters like me. I have a hard time understanding the lack of self awareness with those people. It seems like they've been given marching orders from the expansions of the party, who knows nothing about the needs of a district, county, township or even schools. And, sorry for repeating this again but, it seems like they are blind to their own self immolation. 

So people like me won't be going out of our way to prop up either party.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 2:58 PM
posted by Trueblue23

It's like her people live in another universe

No way they can say this with a straight face after covering for Biden for 3.5+ years.

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 3:01 PM
posted by Laley23

But you are going to have that opinion no matter what. When was the last time, if ever, you voted Democrat? If you are a party line and only party line, then there is no purpose in having conversations. 

Any democrate? Last election 2 years ago.

A democrat for POTUS? Whatever year Obama ran against McCain/Palin...couldn't let that woman be a heart attack away from being POTUS....and Harris is just the left wing version of her.

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 3:06 PM

I was responding to BR, folks lol. I should have specified that. 

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 3:21 PM

I don't think that Sarah palin was as bad as people thought she was. Remember when a SNL skit had millions of people believing that she said that she could see Russia from her house when that wasn't what she said at all? LOL

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 3:37 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I don't think that Sarah palin was as bad as people thought she was. Remember when a SNL skit had millions of people believing that she said that she could see Russia from her house when that wasn't what she said at all? LOL

That wasn't what she said, correct. But she did say "Alaska being so close to Russia gives her international policy experience" which is pretty dumb. There were other cases as well, but she was just a cheerleader for McCain.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 3:48 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

As a candidate, she was a train wreck of the first order.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 4:16 PM

Palin is what happens when a party decides the person chosen to be their presidential candidate is too close to the middle to fire up their base, so they "balance" that person out with someone whose main qualification is "really far to that party's side".

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 4:28 PM

Saying that she wasn't "as bad as" is not the same as saying she wasn't bad.

I thought we all knew this, but, I guess not 😂 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 4:42 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

This is why the harris campaign is now launching attack ads against Stein.  

Desperation.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 6:06 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

As a candidate, she was a train wreck of the first order.

So would Kamala, if not for 90% of the media carry water for the Dems.

I didn't watch the interview, but not unpredictably one side thinks it sucked and the other thinks it was great.

Reality is any time Kamala has to talk policy off-script she only has word salads to offer.  I don't think she's stupid or inarticulate.  The inability to explain her positions comes down to one of two simple things: she's lying, and bad at it.  Or she really doesn't have grasp of her policies.  Likely a combination of both.

When you know and believe what you're saying, it comes pretty naturally.  Kamala and the media are trying to cover up her uber-liberal voting record that increasingly looks like political expedience.

So at the end of the day, you either think Kamala is a moderate who pretended to be a far left CA liberal most of her career.  Or something else...

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 6:53 PM
posted by gut

So would Kamala, if not for 90% of the media carry water for the Dems.

I didn't watch the interview, but not unpredictably one side thinks it sucked and the other thinks it was great.

Reality is any time Kamala has to talk policy off-script she only has word salads to offer.  I don't think she's stupid or inarticulate.  The inability to explain her positions comes down to one of two simple things: she's lying, and bad at it.  Or she really doesn't have grasp of her policies.  Likely a combination of both.

When you know and believe what you're saying, it comes pretty naturally.  Kamala and the media are trying to cover up her uber-liberal voting record that increasingly looks like political expedience.

So at the end of the day, you either think Kamala is a moderate who pretended to be a far left CA liberal most of her career.  Or something else...

I agree with your position of Kamala and the media carrying water for her. It's not a difficulty to remember that between the two of them they pulled off one of the biggest hoaxes in probably 20 years. That is, of course, saying that there was nothing wrong with Biden's mental acuity. 

As for Kamala pretending she is a moderate, not even her compadres have denied it. In fact, even Bernie Sanders said that her ideals never changed but she was changing her positions in order to win the election. 

Also when Tulsi Gabbard exposed her for the sadist she is, Kamala said she was proud of what she did in about 8 seconds after Tulsi was finished talking.

And since Kamala and Tim Walz have started campaigning they've made it very clear that they want to infringe upon not only the 2nd Amendment, but the 1st Amendment as well.

And then we have the Dem voters shitting their pants when Trump talks about a blood bath in the auto industry. I mean, it's truly something to behold in real time.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 18, 2024 7:06 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

And then we have the Dem voters shitting their pants when Trump talks about a blood bath in the auto industry. I mean, it's truly something to behold in real time.

Trump is a horrible candidate.

But anyone who says Kamala is anything other than "not Trump" (won't say "better" because I don't think that follows) is either grossly uninformed or delusional.

I don't know that Kamala is a worse candidate and would be a worse leader than Trump, but I don't think she's better.  Unless she goes the Obama route and talks a big game while deliberately dividing the country so she can blame the opposition for not passing her agenda (a.k.a. as being likeable worth as much, if not more, than being good).

She may be basically status quo, which is likely better than Trump.  But if she has a Dem House and Senate, A LOT of people probably aren't going to like the California version of "status quo".

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 8:32 PM
posted by gut

She may be basically status quo, which is likely better than Trump.  But if she has a Dem House and Senate, A LOT of people probably aren't going to like the California version of "status quo".

This is what I want to happen. The average Dem voter isn't going to look at anything *Democrat* with a jaundiced eye until they "feel" what they vote for. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I want Kamala to win. I have a whole list of reasons why I want her to win - and I'm not being coy to say that none of those reasons come from the goodness of my heart lol!

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 8:48 PM

Everyone who I have talked to (lots of Republicans in my in-law family) have been appalled when I say I refuse to vote for Trump. And when I say I don’t like Kamala and don’t think her policies (what are they, exactly?) are great, they still get even more confused.

But as I said before, I’m never Trump. I think it will be horrible for our country to have a 5-2 majority for 50ish yrs in the Supreme Court, which will happen with Trump. I can’t reward someone who I genuinely feel tried to negate the people’s vote and stay in power. I won’t vote for someone who is divisive on purpose. I won’t vote for someone I think is a horrible human for President. 

There are a multitude of things I dislike about both, and a multitude of things I like about both. But Trump is a never for me. And I stand that majority of America feels this way and it will not be close on election night. 

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 8:53 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

This is what I want to happen. The average Dem voter isn't going to look at anything *Democrat* with a jaundiced eye until they "feel" what they vote for. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I want Kamala to win. I have a whole list of reasons why I want her to win - and I'm not being coy to say that none of those reasons come from the goodness of my heart lol!

I think the ONLY way we get back to “normal” in America is by Kamala winning. That would be — essentially — 3 straight elections that the Dems win big. It will force the Republicans to get away from the far right MAGA bullshit and get back to what America genuinely wants. I think this country leans middle right. But the far right comes off as worse than the far left, because so much of the far right can be racist, cold, mean, etc. Where the far left comes across as compassionate, loving, etc (even if both are equally detrimental to the country as a whole). 

Get back to the middle, GOP, and start winning. Force the Dems back to the middle, and voila, we might actually start to have candidates we like on both sides and have tough time deciding! 

Fri, Oct 18, 2024 10:24 PM
posted by Laley23

I think the ONLY way we get back to “normal” in America is by Kamala winning. That would be — essentially — 3 straight elections that the Dems win big. It will force the Republicans to get away from the far right MAGA bullshit and get back to what America genuinely wants. I think this country leans middle right. But the far right comes off as worse than the far left, because so much of the far right can be racist, cold, mean, etc. Where the far left comes across as compassionate, loving, etc (even if both are equally detrimental to the country as a whole). 

Get back to the middle, GOP, and start winning. Force the Dems back to the middle, and voila, we might actually start to have candidates we like on both sides and have tough time deciding! 

I agree with some of this, excepting a few things.

1.) I think right wing populism is not going to go away. There's nothing wrong with that. The premise of "We the People" is populist and that also includes left wing populism. MAGA might die out as a catch phrase, but the populism behind it won't.

2.) As more of the Boomers die off the younger generations will be less tolerant of The Establishment/status quo. Much of GenX, some of the  Millies and most of the Zoomers are already kicking up a fuss about busting that shit up. And I think it (establishment govt) knows this. Probably a good reason why the Dems sent govt spooks into the social medias to force them into censoring and banning the free flow of information about Covid and even the Hunter Biden laptop story. It's losing its grip.

3.) I've always questioned the idea that the right is racist because they like equal opportunity and duck away from  hyper-sensitivity, but the soft bigotry of low expectations on the left is not racist. I've yet to find anybody with a coherent and convincing reasoning for that. I'm one of those people who think that the political right and political left are closer to each other than they are to you or me. 

But I do agree that voters need to feel everything that the current Democrat party will give them before they ultimately decide to reject what the party is up to and force it to reform via neglect. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login