Browns Regular Season 2019 Season | Season of Dreams

bigdaddy2003 Senior Member
7,560 posts 12 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 11:48 AM

Looks like Rivera is going to coach Washington. That seems wild to me but like_that may have a point, who would pick Cleveland? Talent wise, you obviously don't pick the Redskins over Cleveland, so other factors obviously come into play. 

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 11:54 AM
posted by bigdaddy2003

Looks like Rivera is going to coach Washington. That seems wild to me but like_that may have a point, who would pick Cleveland? Talent wise, you obviously don't pick the Redskins over Cleveland, so other factors obviously come into play. 

Washington likely has been working him since he was fired.....

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 5:32 PM

It’s the NFL. There are only 4-5 openings. If you have one, you can get a coach. Maybe not 1st choice, but usually 2nd choice at worst.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 12:06 AM
posted by like_that

This franchise is a joke and will never be taken seriously. You can't just keep firing coaches.  They gave Hue 2.5 seasons to win 3(?) games, and they think doubling that total in one season doesn't justify giving Freddie another season to figure it out? Who the fuck would ever want to coach or play in Cleveland? There is no winning franchise that fires its coaches like the Browns do.  Hell, even shitty franchises don't go thru coaches like the Browns.  This isn't the NBA.  You can't do this shit and expect good results.

Who gives a fuck who the next coach is? I am sure the media and some dumbass fans will want him fired when the Browns start the season 2-3.  I can already see the same recycled bullshit hit pieces by the same media that will be super positive during the off season.

I was rereading the Browns offseason thread to see what people thought of the Kitchens hiring and then seeing this doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure it gets old and exhausting having to constantly talk yourself into a new regime every year. It won't even happen this year as S&L is gone, and COA?, and apparently BR as well. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:44 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

I was rereading the Browns offseason thread to see what people thought of the Kitchens hiring and then seeing this doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure it gets old and exhausting having to constantly talk yourself into a new regime every year. It won't even happen this year as S&L is gone, and COA?, and apparently BR as well. 

It is.  Why make the hire if you are not fully committed?   They knew this would be Freddie's first time as a HC and there would be some growing pains.  Not every first year HC comes right out of the gate winning a bunch of games.  Look at all the head coaches in the playoffs.  The majority of them did not make the playoffs their first season as NFL head coaches. I am not saying Freddie is great, but it's crazy to make the hire and then not even give him a 2nd season to apply what he learned from the previous season.  This franchise has given coaches like Shurmur, WoMangini, Crennel, Pettine and Hue more than one season. 

Also, the Browns schedule did not do Freddie any favors.  Seven of their games were against playoff teams.  You can argue 5 of those 7 games were against a team that has a legitimate shot of winning the SB.  Even some of their non playoff opponents were in the thick of the playoff race until week 17 (Rams and Steelers X2).  That doesn't leave much room for any slip ups against shitty teams, which even happens to the best franchises in the league.  If the Browns had the Bills schedule, we would probably be talking about their playoff matchup and Freddie would have his job.

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 9:45 AM

Any candidate in their right mind should be interviewing the Browns rather than being interviewed by the Browns.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 11:38 AM
posted by like_that

It is.  Why make the hire if you are not fully committed?   They knew this would be Freddie's first time as a HC and there would be some growing pains.  Not every first year HC comes right out of the gate winning a bunch of games.  Look at all the head coaches in the playoffs.  The majority of them did not make the playoffs their first season as NFL head coaches. I am not saying Freddie is great, but it's crazy to make the hire and then not even give him a 2nd season to apply what he learned from the previous season.  This franchise has given coaches like Shurmur, WoMangini, Crennel, Pettine and Hue more than one season. 

Also, the Browns schedule did not do Freddie any favors.  Seven of their games were against playoff teams.  You can argue 5 of those 7 games were against a team that has a legitimate shot of winning the SB.  Even some of their non playoff opponents were in the thick of the playoff race until week 17 (Rams and Steelers X2).  That doesn't leave much room for any slip ups against shitty teams, which even happens to the best franchises in the league.  If the Browns had the Bills schedule, we would probably be talking about their playoff matchup and Freddie would have his job.

Yeah, but when the schedule got easy -- geez, losing to the Broncos, Bengals, Cardinals and Steelers   ????  If you can’t beat them, something is wrong.

Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:02 PM

Schefter tweeting that John Dorsey probably on the way out as well. 

Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:37 PM

Dorsey getting fired seems like a bad move. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:52 PM
posted by Laley23

It seems odd depending on the coach. McDaniels for instance wouldn't work without his own GM brought in. Not sure how many other coaches are in the same boat. But firing him just to fire him without knowing who you are bring in seems dumb. 

slingshot4ever Senior Member
4,535 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:53 PM

The Haslams need to fire themselves.

Tue, Dec 31, 2019 2:59 PM
posted by iclfan2

It seems odd depending on the coach. McDaniels for instance wouldn't work without his own GM brought in. Not sure how many other coaches are in the same boat. But firing him just to fire him without knowing who you are bring in seems dumb. 

Especially if we go after Beinimy. I assume they overlapped in KC a bit.

Tue, Dec 31, 2019 3:29 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Correct 

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 5:20 PM

Dorsey is gone.

This franchise.......smh

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 11:16 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Yeah, but when the schedule got easy -- geez, losing to the Broncos, Bengals, Cardinals and Steelers   ????  If you can’t beat them, something is wrong.

True.  The Broncos loss was inexcusable.  As far as the Bengals and Cardinals, I will chalk those losses up as the team giving up once they lost to the steelers.  You could easily see the quit in the team after that game.  They had momentum going into that game (sans Myles getting suspended) and then it sucked the wind out of them.  It pretty much ended their season.  

Also, in the NFL early momentum in a season is huge (especially for a shitty franchise like the Browns).  It's not baseball or basketball.  When a team starts the season in a hole, it's extremely difficult to dig out of it. Their first 7 games were absolutely brutal.

posted by slingshot4ever

We all would have been better off if he was just indicted for the Pilot scam and then forced to sell to a new owner. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 12:16 PM
posted by Laley23

This actually wasn't a bad move. He drafted 2 Pro Bowlers (same as Sashi) and the shit that's leaking out is that he was an egomaniac control freak. DePodesta gave him a scouting report from the analytics department and Dorsey threw it in the trash in front of all of the scouts. Dorsey hired a weak HC (Kitchens) who could be his puppet/yes man and when Haslam wouldn't let him do it again, he got canned.

What will be interesting is what happens with Mayfield. This is a make or break year for him with a strong 2021 QB draft class. Either he puts in the work, performs, and keeps his job or they are back to square one. He doesn't have his enablers (Dorsey/Kitchens) to cover for him. He needs a strong leader who will hold him accountable & push him. Time for Baker to wake up.

As far as this search goes, my expectations (in order) would be:

1) Andrew Berry GM & Kevin Stefanski HC

2) Dave Ziegler GM & Josh McDaniels HC

3) Eliot Wolf GM & Mike McCarthy HC

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 12:18 PM

Welcome back BR

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 12:26 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the perfect candidate for the Browns job would be Jason Garrett because he's accustomed to working in dysfunctional shit shows...

BRF Senior Member
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 12:51 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ Welcome back!

BRF Senior Member
Thu, Jan 2, 2020 1:19 PM
posted by like_that

True.  The Broncos loss was inexcusable.  As far as the Bengals and Cardinals, I will chalk those losses up as the team giving up once they lost to the steelers.  You could easily see the quit in the team after that game.  They had momentum going into that game (sans Myles getting suspended) and then it sucked the wind out of them.  It pretty much ended their season.  

Well said.  I agree.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login