Random TV Thread

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 11, 2020 9:53 PM

Anyone else watched The Queen's Gambit on netflix? I thought it was outstanding.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 198 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 11, 2020 10:03 PM

I haven't, we cancelled Netflix recently, but my co-worked suggested it last week. He said it was great.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 11, 2020 10:03 PM
posted by bigorangebuck22

Anyone else watched The Queen's Gambit on netflix? I thought it was outstanding.

Almost done with it and agreed. Especially considering I don’t know anything about chess. 


33,369 posts 119 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 11, 2020 10:21 PM

I’ve never though I could be so engrossed in a drama 90% about chess. Maybe the drugs and alcohol being the other 10% is what did it lol.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 92 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 12, 2020 1:02 AM
posted by Laley23

I’ve never though I could be so engrossed in a drama 90% about chess. Maybe the drugs and alcohol being the other 10% is what did it lol.

They did a great job on the preview and almost sucked me in, but I wasn't sure at the time if there was more than 1-2 episodes available.

It's a short series so it's run is complete, like Tiger King, right?

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 190 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 12, 2020 10:30 AM

Man, if the first season was too much for you, you'd have never gotten through the second. Let's just say that after Laura's killer was exposed and then caught, things got to this combination of really weird and also having long, generally pointless, sub-plots with supporting characters. Like, I had no idea what purpose any scene with, uh, the biker guy who I think was dating Lara Flynn Boyle's character, was about.

I still loved the show because it was so different, but for a while, there was Agent Cooper and the main plot and 20 other characters with their own plots, so it was pretty disorganized as far as the vibe. I'll also say part of the reason I loved the show was that I was about 18 when it came out, so a show with Boyle Sherilyn Finn and Madchen Amick was WELL WORTH my time.

33,369 posts 119 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 12, 2020 11:15 AM
posted by gut

They did a great job on the preview and almost sucked me in, but I wasn't sure at the time if there was more than 1-2 episodes available.

It's a short series so it's run is complete, like Tiger King, right?

Yeah, it’s done. 7 episodes total.


geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Nov 12, 2020 1:01 PM

queens gambit was great i binged it in 2 days... 


just watched fargo season 1.  outstanding

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 10:06 AM


https://www.metv.com/lists/the-equalizer-had-the-craziest-guest-stars-of-any-1980s-tv-show

So after watching the new equalizer which I thought was terrible, I have been going back and re watching the old equalizer which is amazing. I didn’t realize how many famous people cameoed on that show. Every episode has a familiar face that went on to be a star 


geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 10:07 AM


https://www.metv.com/lists/the-equalizer-had-the-craziest-guest-stars-of-any-1980s-tv-show

So after watching the new equalizer which I thought was terrible, I have been going back and re watching the old equalizer which is amazing. I didn’t realize how many famous people cameoed on that show. Every episode has a familiar face that went on to be a star 


friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 12:19 PM

Yeah I had to pass on Queen Latifa as the Equalizer.

Rotinaj Senior Member
7,878 posts 49 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Feb 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Just started Doom Patrol. Seems pretty good so far. Never even heard of it until randomly seeing it mentioned elsewhere. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 198 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 22, 2021 1:14 PM

Started watching The Expanse now that we're down to just Prime Video. Two episodes in and I like it so far.

8,788 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 22, 2021 1:35 PM
posted by justincredible

Started watching The Expanse now that we're down to just Prime Video. Two episodes in and I like it so far.

The Expanse is fucking fantastic. It is one of the most "realistic" space shows out there as in they try and stick to the laws of physics.  The most recent season is also probably one of the best ones. 

8,788 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 22, 2021 1:38 PM

Little slow on shows right now, but I'm watching Wandavision, which is good.  I'm also watching Warrior which is on HBO Max. Show set in San Fran in the late 1800s about warring Chinese gangs. It was apparently the brainchild of Bruce Lee. His daughter picked up it and is a producer on it. The marital art scenes are really good. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 198 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 22, 2021 2:08 PM

My wife also started watching Monk and I've caught a few episodes. Another great show.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 41 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 2, 2021 1:11 PM

Anyone catching the The Foods That Made America?


It is in season three, started a few weeks ago.


Very interesting. This season they have done McDonalds, BUrger King, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Reese's, Hershey's, etc.

Sunday night, History.

8,788 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 8, 2021 1:10 PM

Noticed HBO Max added Banshee a few weeks ago. Old Cinemax show from 2014-2016. I started watching it last week. I like it. It has a very Justified vibe to it, only add in more cursing, more blood, and a lot of tits. 

Also, noticed the guy that plays Homelander in the Boys is the main character. 


friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 8, 2021 2:07 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Noticed HBO Max added Banshee a few weeks ago. Old Cinemax show from 2014-2016. I started watching it last week. I like it. It has a very Justified vibe to it, only add in more cursing, more blood, and a lot of tits. 

Also, noticed the guy that plays Homelander in the Boys is the main character. 


I watched a few seasons of Banshee. Not sure why I didn’t watch all of it but the one lasting memory I have is that yeah, it’s really fucking violent. 


thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 41 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 8, 2021 2:19 PM
posted by justincredible

My wife also started watching Monk and I've caught a few episodes. Another great show.

It's a jungle out there.


Monk woulda hated, and loved, the pandemic.....

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login