Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 1:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I assumed that only a negative PCR test would be accepted, so I’m good there. What I wasn’t sure about was this pen-written card sufficing as “proof” of my vaccine status. It sounds like it will work. If I log on in a month from a Canadian gulag camp, you’ll know it didn’t work. 

(Dear jmog, I am aware Canada has no gulags - that was a joke. Nevertheless I’d love to get a rundown of your knowledge of Stalin-era crimes against humanity.). 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 2:41 PM
posted by jmog

Majority of Americans now believe it to be from a lab and not a wet market, Aka widely accepted.

Oh, now you put the qualifier for you mean as widely accepted. Ah, I assume you are referring to a poll? 

While it may be one thing to say the American public believes, it is another for the scientific and intelligence community. All different groups, and I give more weight to the scientific and intel community. 

Also, it is one thing to say it came from a lab; created in the lab and released on purpose vs. that it was simply an error in nature that allowed whatever animal that was being studied in the lab to then transmit that virus to someone. Both are equally plausible and fall under the umbrella of the virus came from the lab. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 2:54 PM

So truckers - who spend all day driving by themselves - have to get vaccinated or face termination?!?

And Buttigieg blaming a transportation labor shortage on not enough unions?

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 3:12 PM
posted by gut

So truckers - who spend all day driving by themselves - have to get vaccinated or face termination?!?

Depends on what the trucker is hauling and how often he/ she does come in contact with people. We have truckers that routinely enter job sites/ work trailers, yards, etc. Only makes sense for them to be vaccinated. 

The labor shortage is not solely due to enough unions. That is one of many factors. Others are, the building boom is taking a lot of workers to other areas. Companies are fighting for a limited pool of talent due to building, commercial, and now infrastructure booms. So labors are in short supply. Also, finding highly trained and skilled foreman, supers, and engineers is quite a challenge. Those folks do not grow on trees and are getting top dollar from construction firms. My firm has been looking for project engineers now for a few months. 

The industry has been yelling from the mountain top for months that there is a severe worker shortage and even with the new funding, trying to build everything will be a challenge. 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 3:27 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Depends on what the trucker is hauling and how often he/ she does come in contact with people. We have truckers that routinely enter job sites/ work trailers, yards, etc. Only makes sense for them to be vaccinated.

Not really.  Their contact is generally very limited, and could be virtually eliminated. 

There's really no need for a trucker to come in, sit down and shoot the shit with the billing clerk.  Literally only about 4 times the truck driver has to interact with anyone - receiving/delivering the shipping invoice, and gate check at security.  And those interactions don't need to take more than 30 seconds.

This makes 0 sense.  It would be like requiring people working from home to be vaccinated or get fired.  Same govt, by the way, that carved out exemptions for postal workers, who LITERALLY go door-to-door dropping off packages.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 8, 2021 4:07 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

The labor shortage is not solely due to enough unions. That is one of many factors. Others are, the building boom is taking a lot of workers to other areas. Companies are fighting for a limited pool of talent due to building, commercial, and now infrastructure booms. So labors are in short supply. Also, finding highly trained and skilled foreman, supers, and engineers is quite a challenge. Those folks do not grow on trees and are getting top dollar from construction firms. My firm has been looking for project engineers now for a few months. 

The industry has been yelling from the mountain top for months that there is a severe worker shortage and even with the new funding, trying to build everything will be a challenge. 

Come on ptown, be serious, no valid reason to require OTR truckers to get vaccinated or fired.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 9:00 AM

Lunatics

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 4:57 PM
posted by gut

well, now that the deer can kill you with Covid it seems a bit more sporting...

Tue, Nov 9, 2021 5:09 PM

Big pharma can't meme.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 5:36 PM
posted by justincredible

Well played.

Haven't paid attention the past few days, but this seems like a potentially huge development....like an early Christmas for all the crazies on both sides of the debate.

Raises a ton of questions, foremost of which is this is probably never going away. 

The second big question is how did the deer catch this?  Deer fucker is all I got.  And I thought "wow, that guy must be super fast!".  But he probably just drugs 'em.

Tue, Nov 9, 2021 6:01 PM

Is this that surprising of a development? We knew it had an animal reservoir, right?

gut Senior Member
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 7:03 PM
posted by justincredible

Is this that surprising of a development?

Yes?  No?  Maybe?

Obviously it had a reservoir originating in the bat population.  But I've not really heard of viruses mutating in humans, and then jumping BACK to a different animal species (and then, presumably, re-emerging in humans again down the road).

I'm sure it happens and I'm just ignorant.  But a virus that likely emerged in bats in China 24 months ago, give or take, is now spreading like wildfire in Iowa deer populations?!?

It was big news, to me, because previously we only heard of isolated incidents in zoos that seemed to originate from handlers.  Seeing it run thru a zoo population still gives you pause, but jumping to a wild deer population kind of blows my mind.  Honestly, how does that happen?!?  My only real guess is a person infected their dog, who then left a pile of shit in the yard, that some deer came along to smell.  That's a rube-goldberg vector!

And I don't know.  Someone would have to explain to me how this could start running thru the deer population and somehow never jump back to people.  Seems like a big "game over" moment in terms of any last hopes of eradication.

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 10, 2021 8:36 AM
posted by gut

Well played.

Haven't paid attention the past few days, but this seems like a potentially huge development....like an early Christmas for all the crazies on both sides of the debate.

Raises a ton of questions, foremost of which is this is probably never going away. 

The second big question is how did the deer catch this?  Deer fucker is all I got.  And I thought "wow, that guy must be super fast!".  But he probably just drugs 'em.

so, i haven't traced your thoughts on this virus back too far (because i don't give a shit really) but unless i am way wrong, you think this virus is a natural mutation from a bat that jumped to pangolins and humans in almost simultaneous fashion. But mutating to infect and spread amongst the ungulate population is only possible if someone fucked a deer? 

Wed, Nov 10, 2021 8:37 AM

"No. No deer. Ass too high, run too fast."

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 4:11 AM
posted by gut

Just stop. Kizer already told us that there is nothing this administration can do to help with this labor shortage.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 6:37 AM
posted by like_that

Just stop. Kizer already told us that there is nothing this administration can do to help with this labor shortage.

Solve... as in he cant fix a global problem. Of course, you knew that already so not sure why I wasted time.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 6:49 AM
posted by like_that

They largely created it, haven't they done enough?

Thu, Nov 11, 2021 7:36 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

They largely created it, haven't they done enough?

They must have created in every other country in the world too huh?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 7:42 AM
posted by kizer permanente

They must have created in every other country in the world too huh?

Anything that we do greatly affects the entire planet. Add in governments around the world doing many of the same stupid things, and you get what we have.

Thu, Nov 11, 2021 7:55 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Anything that we do greatly affects the entire planet. Add in governments around the world doing many of the same stupid things, and you get what we have.

I don't disagree with you. But to say this isn't due to a global pandemic is asinine. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login