Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 8, 2023 9:50 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I’m aware of them of the protests.  I don’t look at social media.  I don’t excuse anything someone says about genocide.  But I don’t believe the Ivy League schools are bastions of antisemitism.

Well, it's more subtle than that.  They tolerate anti-semitic speech, when similar racist speech targeted at other groups would result in expulsion.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 8:34 AM
posted by gut

Well, it's more subtle than that.  They tolerate anti-semitic speech, when similar racist speech targeted at other groups would result in expulsion.

And Jewish students/faculty/admin have a huge outsized presence at all of those schools.  If they don’t want hate speech toward Jews, they have plenty of power and influence to stop it.  Asking the Jewish president of a university with a large portion of Jewish students and a huge Jewish alumni network if her school tolerates antisemitism is ridiculous.

These Ivy League type schools are liberal - always have been.  They’ve always had students who have said things almost shocking.  I believe the Harvard newspaper took a position on the side of Japan after Pearl Harbor.  Personally I don’t care because these idiots are never more than noisemakers.  They’re no more dangerous today than they were 80 years ago.

To me the most pathetic part of this testimony is this congresswoman using as a chance to get her 15 minutes by acting self righteous and outraged.  Another worthless act by our congress.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 11:37 AM

Asking the Jewish president of a university with a large portion of Jewish students and a huge Jewish alumni network if her school tolerates antisemitism is ridiculous.

Less ridiculous than simply giving the only correct answer which would be "absolutely not".
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 11:42 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye
Less ridiculous than simply giving the only correct answer which would be "absolutely not".

I agree.  I just don’t find elite academics talking in circles anything new or outrage generating.  This congresswoman is using the old playbook of teeing up easy targets to perpetuate rage and thereby make herself look in some way helpful.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 11:50 AM

And Jewish students/faculty/admin have a huge outsized presence at all of those schools.  If they don’t want hate speech toward Jews, they have plenty of power and influence to stop it.  Asking the Jewish president of a university with a large portion of Jewish students and a huge Jewish alumni network if her school tolerates antisemitism is ridiculous.

I'm curious if you can spot the racism in your above post.

Sat, Dec 9, 2023 12:18 PM
posted by gut

I'm curious if you can spot the racism in your above post.

Please point it out for me.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 5:09 PM

How do the Ivy leagues still even have the reputation they do? Absolute lib trash, and everyone basically gets an A anyway. 

Kinda ironic how the Jews overwhelmingly vote lib. You get what you vote for. We saw it during Covid and obviously now. Not gonna get sympathy from me… 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 6:49 PM

Can't call anybody the N-word, wetback, rice burner, wop, etc.

But if the population proportions are just right, it's ok to call for genocide, because (checks notes) we shouldn't be surprised by any crazy logic that the bloo team spouts off.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 9, 2023 6:54 PM

Lol the president of Penn has resigned.

Sun, Dec 10, 2023 10:49 AM
posted by iclfan2

Lol the president of Penn has resigned.

This was my point.  The student body at Penn is almost 20% Jewish and the alumni base is higher than that.  If Jewish members of the Penn community don’t like what’s being said there, they are in a strong position to affect change.  Penn is not an antisemitic environment.  Some people that go there clearly are antisemitic, but so what.  Outside of making a lot of noise, they have no substantive influence.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 3:09 PM

This was my point.  The student body at Penn is almost 20% Jewish and the alumni base is higher than that.  If Jewish members of the Penn community don’t like what’s being said there, they are in a strong position to affect change.  Penn is not an antisemitic environment.  Some people that go there clearly are antisemitic, but so what.  Outside of making a lot of noise, they have no substantive influence.

But clearly if it wasn't an anti-semitic atmosphere she wouldn't have been pressured and resigning...

And you're assuming she's more Jewish than woke, which is both ignorant and racist.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 3:15 PM

Please point it out for me.

The part where you assumed a large percentage minority dictates policy.

Or the part where you assumed the ethnicity of a university President would dictate certain policies.

And finally equating "tolerating anti-semitism" with failure to condemn calls to kill Jews.

Do you honestly believe if a white nationalist said these things about black people that he wouldn't have been expelled minutes later?  And you wouldn't be wrong, but that's why your equivocating shows inherent bias.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 4:22 PM

I’m aware of them of the protests.  I don’t look at social media.  I don’t excuse anything someone says about genocide.  But I don’t believe the Ivy League schools are bastions of antisemitism.

Again, then you haven’t paid attention. Studies have already shown that on these campuses 73% of Jews have witnessed antisemitism since October, and over 50% now do not feel safe on campus due to actions and statements being made.

Sun, Dec 10, 2023 4:34 PM
posted by gut

But clearly if it wasn't an anti-semitic atmosphere she wouldn't have been pressured and resigning...

And you're assuming she's more Jewish than woke, which is both ignorant and racist.

All I am saying is this congressional committee testimony was more about a congresswoman getting her 15 minutes under the guise of doing something meaningful.  I’m not assuming this woman at Penn is Jewish either.  My point about these woke Ivy League schools is that everyone knows they’re woke. They have been for decades.  Who cares what a bunch of nutty ass students on their campus say.  I also don’t see any reason to worry about an Ivy League campus being a threatening place for a Jewish student.  That is comical to even write.

Sun, Dec 10, 2023 4:37 PM
posted by jmog

Again, then you haven’t paid attention. Studies have already shown that on these campuses 73% of Jews have witnessed antisemitism since October, and over 50% now do not feel safe on campus due to actions and statements being made.

Can you ever engage on here without saying something pompous?  I’ve paid attention.  Just because someone sees something differently than you doesn’t mean their I’ll-informed.  When you’re positive you’re right every time, you need to examine your simplistic view of the world.

Sun, Dec 10, 2023 5:09 PM
posted by gut

The part where you assumed a large percentage minority dictates policy.

Or the part where you assumed the ethnicity of a university President would dictate certain policies.

And finally equating "tolerating anti-semitism" with failure to condemn calls to kill Jews.

Do you honestly believe if a white nationalist said these things about black people that he wouldn't have been expelled minutes later?  And you wouldn't be wrong, but that's why your equivocating shows inherent bias.

I don’t assume they dictate policy.  But if you think Jewish students, faculty and alumni do not have an outsized influence at Harvard, MIT, and Penn, then you don’t know very much about those schools.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 8:32 PM
posted by jmog

Oh so now jmog all of the sudden believes racism is a real thing love to see it 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 10:51 PM
posted by geeblock

Oh so now jmog all of the sudden believes racism is a real thing love to see it 

I'm not sure I've ever read such a denial. Can you please point me to the posts so that I can mock him?

As an aside: right now I'd be willing to bet that there are more people at these schools chanting along with "from the river to the sea" than there are people calling for an extermination of black people. 

Is the v-bookie still a thing here?

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 10:14 AM

All I am saying is this congressional committee testimony was more about a congresswoman getting her 15 minutes under the guise of doing something meaningful.  I’m not assuming this woman at Penn is Jewish either.  My point about these woke Ivy League schools is that everyone knows they’re woke. They have been for decades.  Who cares what a bunch of nutty ass students on their campus say.  I also don’t see any reason to worry about an Ivy League campus being a threatening place for a Jewish student.  That is comical to even write.

I would say getting at least one of these leftists fired (thus far) is meaningful.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 11:43 AM

I don’t assume they dictate policy.  But if you think Jewish students, faculty and alumni do not have an outsized influence at Harvard, MIT, and Penn, then you don’t know very much about those schools.

No way you can say I was pompous and then post this. Good lord zero self aw

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login