Progressives, part 3...

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 12:37 PM
posted by jmog

No way you can say I was pompous and then post this. Good lord zero self aw

Fair enough.  My phrasing was not good.  My point continues to be that Harvard, Penn and MIT are not hostile towards Jewish people despite what some vocal protesters say and woke administrators talking in circles. 

Mon, Dec 11, 2023 12:38 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I would say getting at least one of these leftists fired (thus far) is meaningful.  

Do you think her replacement will be John Birch Society type?

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 1:02 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Do you think her replacement will be John Birch Society type?

Lol, he's just falling into the typical politard trap of "They fired a member of the opposition party; this HAS to be a win!!!!" that doesn't take into effect things such as who will be the replacement because I'm guessing the odds of the new Penn prez having political views that he agrees with are extremely low. 

Kind of like when the Ds were running victory laps due to the House Rs being in shambles, unable to agree on a name to get behind for the speaker race. And then the Rs got together to elect some crazy overly-religious dipshit who thinks he's the new Moses or some such stupidity. And all a person can say is, "Good job, guys, you decided to go all-in in the short-term 'these people are SOOOOO dysfunctional' win and rode that horse until it was too late.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 2:19 PM

Fair enough.  My phrasing was not good.  My point continues to be that Harvard, Penn and MIT are not hostile towards Jewish people despite what some vocal protesters say and woke administrators talking in circles. 

Aside from my first “pompous” sentence above, my stats are from surveys and studies done since October attacks.  That is direct evidence against your stance.

Mon, Dec 11, 2023 7:56 PM
posted by jmog

Aside from my first “pompous” sentence above, my stats are from surveys and studies done since October attacks.  That is direct evidence against your stance.

If you want to believe those schools have an antisemitism problem, you go right ahead.  It’s an irrelevant story to most people since it doesn’t affect them even indirectly and never will.  I don’t believe those places are antisemitic in the least.  Calling a bunch of woke administrators up to capital hill so a congresswoman can pontificate on righteousness is the epitome of using the media to distract the populace from anything remotely impactful.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 10:36 PM

If you want to believe those schools have an antisemitism problem, you go right ahead.  It’s an irrelevant story to most people since it doesn’t affect them even indirectly and never will.  I don’t believe those places are antisemitic in the least.  Calling a bunch of woke administrators up to capital hill so a congresswoman can pontificate on righteousness is the epitome of using the media to distract the populace from anything remotely impactful.

So statistical studies/surveys vs your feelings  got it.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 100 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 11, 2023 10:38 PM

I think that “ pompous” was just about right.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Dec 12, 2023 9:42 AM
posted by Devils Advocate

I think that “ pompous” was just about right.

Possibly, but really hard to take serious when his next post was just as "pompous".

"But if you think Jewish students, faculty and alumni do not have an outsized influence at Harvard, MIT, and Penn, then you don’t know very much about those schools."

Tue, Dec 12, 2023 1:05 PM
posted by jmog

So statistical studies/surveys vs your feelings  got it.

I don't know anything about your surveys.  I will once again state my point: This congressional testimony was a huge soft ball at bat for this congresswoman.  She called up three woke administrators from Ivy League and similar schools.  Surprising no one, they talked in circles when she asked them about their schools' tolerance for hate speech against Jews.  The predicted reaction and outrage ensued.  Yet lost in this is the fact that these three schools have a long history of having a large Jewish population in their student bodies, on their faculty and in their alumni base.  They have each been historical bastions of Jewish intellectual life.  

Despite some idiots chanting about "from river to sea for Palestine" or whatever they like to say, these schools are hardly antisemetic.  This was a standard attention grab by yet another worthless member of congress who has a track record of accomplishing nothing. 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Dec 12, 2023 1:45 PM

I don't know anything about your surveys.  I will once again state my point: This congressional testimony was a huge soft ball at bat for this congresswoman.  She called up three woke administrators from Ivy League and similar schools.  Surprising no one, they talked in circles when she asked them about their schools' tolerance for hate speech against Jews.  The predicted reaction and outrage ensued.  Yet lost in this is the fact that these three schools have a long history of having a large Jewish population in their student bodies, on their faculty and in their alumni base.  They have each been historical bastions of Jewish intellectual life.  

Despite some idiots chanting about "from river to sea for Palestine" or whatever they like to say, these schools are hardly antisemetic.  This was a standard attention grab by yet another worthless member of congress who has a track record of accomplishing nothing. 

https://www.adl.org/resources/report/campus-antisemitism-study-campus-climate-and-after-hamas-terrorist-attacks

70+% have seen anti-sematic since Oct 7th.

The percent of Jews that feel comfortable has dropped from 64% down to 39%.

So you still want to say its not a problem... 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 12, 2023 6:32 PM

I think the biggest issue here is what these edifices of "higher learning" are going to do about what is considered hate speech. Because right now it seems to be that calling for the extermination of a people is not hate speech, but calling somebody the N-word is.

Personally, I'd much rather somebody call me a mean name than I'd like for them to call for my death. I don't know... something about levels of severity.

At any rate, I think society has to get a firm grasp of what hate speech really is, because the redefining of words that has been going on has done nobody any favors.

Tue, Dec 12, 2023 8:35 PM
posted by jmog

https://www.adl.org/resources/report/campus-antisemitism-study-campus-climate-and-after-hamas-terrorist-attacks

70+% have seen anti-sematic since Oct 7th.

The percent of Jews that feel comfortable has dropped from 64% down to 39%.

So you still want to say its not a problem... 

I know this is always your MO - I believe your engineer, so I get your inclination to quantify every last topic.  Despite this ADL survey, I stand by my opinion.  This is a nothing story that has been predictably stoked to keep the outrage machine running.

Tue, Dec 12, 2023 8:47 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I think the biggest issue here is what these edifices of "higher learning" are going to do about what is considered hate speech. Because right now it seems to be that calling for the extermination of a people is not hate speech, but calling somebody the N-word is.

Personally, I'd much rather somebody call me a mean name than I'd like for them to call for my death. I don't know... something about levels of severity.

At any rate, I think society has to get a firm grasp of what hate speech really is, because the redefining of words that has been going on has done nobody any favors.

The biggest issue here is you have two groups of people vying for the same shitty piece of desert because each believes their own God favors them over others.  The extreme Palestinians want the Israelis wiped out and the extreme Jews want the Palestinians wiped out.  The moderates on both sides are of no help because they essentially legitimize the zealots by following a cafeteria version of the same twisted faith, thereby sending the message that the zealots are simply believers of legitimate world views who happen to follow each a “little too enthusiastically”.  A simple reading of the Torah or Quran will show the zealots are actually following their respective faiths pretty much the way they were laid out.

Until we admit that this entire ordeal is simply two religions reaching their potential, we’ll continue to pretend that there is somehow a right and a wrong side to this.  Of course, and in spite of the noise about Ivy League presidents/protests, the US is entirely behind one side.  As a result we will continue to pay the harsh price anyone does who comes between fanatical believers and their heavenly mission.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 11:37 AM

I know this is always your MO - I believe your engineer, so I get your inclination to quantify every last topic.  Despite this ADL survey, I stand by my opinion.  This is a nothing story that has been predictably stoked to keep the outrage machine running.

They want it to be a non-story, but the withholding of billions of dollars in future donations is a story, as is the the enlightenment of those who may not have realized the depths to which these radical Marxist 'organizations' have fallen. 

Wed, Dec 13, 2023 12:22 PM
posted by QuakerOats

They want it to be a non-story, but the withholding of billions of dollars in future donations is a story, as is the the enlightenment of those who may not have realized the depths to which these radical Marxist 'organizations' have fallen. 

In 365 days, this will all be long forgotten.  I think you know that deep inside. 

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 1:25 PM

In 365 days, this will all be long forgotten.  I think you know that deep inside. 

I believe this is a true statement. But 2 things can be true, it can be a problem now and still be forgotten completely inside of a year.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 1:38 PM

That's the way it goes.  They (Harvard) still have $50 billion and it has been ceded to the leftists in charge; they have the staying power to inflict much more damage in the years to come. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 3:04 PM

The biggest issue here is you have two groups of people vying for the same shitty piece of desert because each believes their own God favors them over others.  The extreme Palestinians want the Israelis wiped out and the extreme Jews want the Palestinians wiped out.  The moderates on both sides are of no help because they essentially legitimize the zealots by following a cafeteria version of the same twisted faith, thereby sending the message that the zealots are simply believers of legitimate world views who happen to follow each a “little too enthusiastically”.  A simple reading of the Torah or Quran will show the zealots are actually following their respective faiths pretty much the way they were laid out.

Until we admit that this entire ordeal is simply two religions reaching their potential, we’ll continue to pretend that there is somehow a right and a wrong side to this.  Of course, and in spite of the noise about Ivy League presidents/protests, the US is entirely behind one side.  As a result we will continue to pay the harsh price anyone does who comes between fanatical believers and their heavenly mission.

With the main thing being that, as a country, we need our forever wars because they're as good a reason as any to keep the money machine churning out $$$. If we had any interest in any solution not involving constant strife, well, considering how much money we provide Israel (over 3 billion a year, I think), I'd say we would have the right to say they are essentially our vassal and need to get in line or get cut off. But that's not our way because we love our conflicts and especially love them when our proxy states are at the forefront of them and we can play the role of "big brother" where we're not officially at war, but are offering support and printing money like mad for those who are.

Wed, Dec 13, 2023 9:43 PM
posted by jmog

I believe this is a true statement. But 2 things can be true, it can be a problem now and still be forgotten completely inside of a year.

There may be a problem at these schools with respect to things being said by protesters that are detestable to others.  But that’s nothing new at these places.  I will posit that the only reason anyone cares about this particular instance above any other is because a congresswoman decided she wanted relevancy and set up a so-easy-an-infant-could-do-it “hearing” in order to get on tv and outrage the rest of the choir.

Wed, Dec 13, 2023 9:44 PM
posted by QuakerOats

That's the way it goes.  They (Harvard) still have $50 billion and it has been ceded to the leftists in charge; they have the staying power to inflict much more damage in the years to come. 

Harvard’s been a left leaning school since the early 20th century at least.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login