Impressed by the Trump administration part II

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 1:36 PM
posted by iclfan2

Please do even the tiniest bit of research. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/10/coronavirus-senate-set-vote-bill-democrats-vow-block/5762727002/

Because they wanted money to go to actual people and not more money to corporations? They didn’t feel this bill was appropriate. Either way that’s no excuse for the problem not to be solved. Even if both sides are to blame. No one has time to pick a judge when people are hurting was my point I don’t care who u blame 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:03 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/us/justice-department-darknet-opioids-takedown

Between this and the recent major crackdowns and arrests of human traffickers -- kudos to the admin.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:18 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Not disagreeing with as I think your last point is spot on. But, the veneer that the appointment is all about the merits of the Judge and their record is gone. It is all about getting their Justice on the court, no matter what. That fact was in the background the last 20 years and is now out in the open. It is like ok finally we can talk about how political the court is without dancing around the BS of the judge's record. I mean Lagoa is a favorite not for her record, but because she is Cuban heritage from FL that could help Trump. 

I would also add the Constitution is silent on the number of justices in the Court. So, it is not outside the Ds playbook to add more. It is just a norm...that may go out the window. 

It's not just a norm, it's the law. The Judiciary Act 1869 fixed the number at 9

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:31 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Not disagreeing with as I think your last point is spot on. But, the veneer that the appointment is all about the merits of the Judge and their record is gone. It is all about getting their Justice on the court, no matter what. That fact was in the background the last 20 years and is now out in the open. It is like ok finally we can talk about how political the court is without dancing around the BS of the judge's record. I mean Lagoa is a favorite not for her record, but because she is Cuban heritage from FL that could help Trump. 

I would also add the Constitution is silent on the number of justices in the Court. So, it is not outside the Ds playbook to add more. It is just a norm...that may go out the window. 

It's also not outside the Rs from doing the same thing when they gain back control.  Like I said, the Dems need to quit making this mistake that they think they will always be in power. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:45 PM
posted by like_that

It's also not outside the Rs from doing the same thing when they gain back control.  Like I said, the Dems need to quit making this mistake that they think they will always be in power. 

I think some Dems learned that lesson in 2010.  But in 20 years most of them will be gone and it will be a new generation of airheads running the party.

Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:49 PM
posted by gut

I think some Dems learned that lesson in 2010.  But in 20 years most of them will be gone and it will be a new generation of airheads running the party.

Did enough of them learn if they win everything back this election?  I have my doubts. 
gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 2:54 PM
posted by like_that
Did enough of them learn if they win everything back this election?  I have my doubts. 

Already 2-3 by my count, including Feinstein....I think they'd need a really strong election result to get 50 votes to do it.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 5:09 PM

I believe I heard a quote from L. Graham that after what the Dems did you Kavenaugh that he basically didnt GAF about optics.  Its full speed ahead to Fuckdemville.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 6:01 PM
posted by gut

I think it's inevitable.  That's the path we've been on for about 20 years.  Hard to say which party started it, but every time someone abuses the rules or bends precedent, the other party pays it back 10X when they get back in control.

I think it was the republicans who started it when they impeached Clinton. Bill Clinton, the sax playing president who was on MTV. He was the party's golden child. And then along came Monica Lewinsky and it all went downhill from there. Republicans impeached him. 

So that's where the vengeance started. Clinton got impeached and the democrats were vengeful. And we all know how it has been since.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 6:03 PM
posted by Spock

I believe I heard a quote from L. Graham that after what the Dems did you Kavenaugh that he basically didnt GAF about optics.  Its full speed ahead to Fuckdemville.

We're talking the dude who went from basically calling Trump an unqualified menace in 2016 to being his biggest asskisser when he got elected. We're not exactly talking about a guy with principles or standards -- just someone who will do what he has to do to maintain the support of people above him and then try to rationalize it in a way to make it sound like something other than asskissing played a role in his actions.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 6:12 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I think it was the republicans who started it when they impeached Clinton.

Payback for Bork.

But what really happened is Dems thought they had a permanent supermajority in 2008.  That's when Pelosi and Reid began dismantling norms and bipartisanship. Cocaine Mitch gets the last laugh.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 7:13 PM
posted by superman

It's not just a norm, it's the law. The Judiciary Act 1869 fixed the number at 9

True, not a norm, but could easily be changed in a power move of they have both Houses. 

Tue, Sep 22, 2020 7:17 PM
posted by like_that

True. I doubt they really expand the court for that reason. But, who knows if they get the power and are pissed. 

I dont blame them either as it would be a pure power play, like now for example. 

I also do not discount other random things in the court in the future, like who knows how long Clarence Thomas has or any other random event. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 9:44 PM
posted by Heretic

We're talking the dude who went from basically calling Trump an unqualified menace in 2016 to being his biggest asskisser when he got elected. We're not exactly talking about a guy with principles or standards -- just someone who will do what he has to do to maintain the support of people above him and then try to rationalize it in a way to make it sound like something other than asskissing played a role in his actions.

Ha I actually like him more once he said fuck it. Kavanaugh sealed the deal. Dems didn’t even pretend anymore. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Sep 22, 2020 10:03 PM

I see a lot of minds being changed on this thread. Well done. 

Wed, Sep 23, 2020 7:43 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I think it was the republicans who started it when they impeached Clinton. Bill Clinton, the sax playing president who was on MTV. He was the party's golden child. And then along came Monica Lewinsky and it all went downhill from there. Republicans impeached him. 

So that's where the vengeance started. Clinton got impeached and the democrats were vengeful. And we all know how it has been since.

This was the beggining of the major divide in this country, and then the 2000 election made it even worse. 

gut Senior Member
Wed, Sep 23, 2020 12:52 PM
posted by like_that

This was the beggining of the major divide in this country, and then the 2000 election made it even worse. 

Maybe.  Or maybe that was Republicans finally growing a spine after Dems fucked Reagan on immigration and Bork, and then Bush on taxes.

Someone needs to stop the madness.  But I don't think either side trusts the other to play fairly, and I wouldn't trust any of them, either.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 23, 2020 1:45 PM

Another huge peaceful protest outside Pittsburgh last night.

Wed, Sep 23, 2020 2:58 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Another huge peaceful protest outside Pittsburgh last night.

Wait, what are they protesting? Trump is the President of the United States....

Kinda odd for the people in power to protest....

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 23, 2020 3:35 PM

Jesus .................. it was a rally

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login