Impressed by the Trump administration part II

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 11:44 AM
posted by geeblock

What does the payroll tax EO mean? Is that for business owners or employees? Haven’t had time to look up that one 

It’s essentially eliminating the FICA tax in employees paychecks. I believe it’s around 6.4%. So an extra 6.4% in employees paychecks if you make under $104k. Until the end of Q4. 

Employers can defer their contributions of the tax to a later date, which Trump mentioned may not even happen (as he would eliminate it). 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 12:45 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

It’s essentially eliminating the FICA tax in employees paychecks. I believe it’s around 6.4%. So an extra 6.4% in employees paychecks if you make under $104k. Until the end of Q4. 

Employers can defer their contributions of the tax to a later date, which Trump mentioned may not even happen (as he would eliminate it). 

When is the end of quarter 4 dec 31?

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 1:01 PM

In other words, you'll be on the hook for them in April.

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 1:05 PM
posted by geeblock

When is the end of quarter 4 dec 31?

Yes

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 1:51 PM
posted by geeblock

What does the payroll tax EO mean? Is that for business owners or employees? Haven’t had time to look up that one 

I believe it means that if you get a paycheck, the federal taxes will not be coming out.

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 1:58 PM
posted by Spock

I believe it means that if you get a paycheck, the federal taxes will not be coming out.

Lol no

geeblock Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 2:27 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Lol no

So basically your paycheck would be increased by 6.4 percent ?

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 2:41 PM
posted by geeblock

According to CNBC it would also include the Medicare tax, which is 2.9%. If you are self-employed, you would save 12.8 percent of FICA since you pay both employee and employer contributions.

geeblock Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 2:51 PM
posted by Al Bundy

According to CNBC it would also include the Medicare tax, which is 2.9%. If you are self-employed, you would save 12.8 percent of FICA since you pay both employee and employer contributions.

On top of the 6.4 percent?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 2:58 PM
posted by Al Bundy

But really we should assume this is only a deferral, like on the corporate side?  POTUS can't suspend or eliminate a tax, so it would take an act of Congress to take you off the hook?

I'm sure this creates a nightmare for companies.  Do they continue taking it out of your check in the event all the back taxes are owed?  Do they give employees that 7.65% and potentially try to get it back later if it's owed?  A lot of these companies are already hurting for cash, and if they had to eat that 7.65% they didn't withhold it could be devastating.

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by geeblock

Probably a little bit less but yes, because that 6.4% will get taxed When it normally wouldn't. So you’ll get 6.4% more in gross pay, and then less income taxes. 

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:19 PM
posted by gut

But really we should assume this is only a deferral, like on the corporate side?  POTUS can't suspend or eliminate a tax, so it would take an act of Congress to take you off the hook?

I'm sure this creates a nightmare for companies.  Do they continue taking it out of your check in the event all the back taxes are owed?  Do they give employees that 7.65% and potentially try to get it back later if it's owed?  A lot of these companies are already hurting for cash, and if they had to eat that 7.65% they didn't withhold it could be devastating.

Yeah, they’ll have about 20 days to get clarification. I’m sure it’ll get clarified by then. 

For employees, I am reading it’s an elimination, versus a “deferral” for employers. Employees are most likely off the hook, but we shall see come tax time  

geeblock Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:25 PM

This seems like this wouldn’t include teachers 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:28 PM
posted by geeblock

Employees, you will have a little less taken out of your taxes on your paycheck.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:31 PM
posted by geeblock

This seems like this wouldn’t include teachers 

It would include anyone that pays FICA, why wouldn’t it include teachers?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:38 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Employees are most likely off the hook, but we shall see come tax time 

Yeah, we'll see.  Like glbock mentioned, it doesn't include teachers.  It doesn't, obviously, do anything for people already out-of-work.

I don't know how anyone is going to try to reverse or overrule the POTUS on this because voters will punish them.  But it severely complicates any other stimulus deal.  Or you give additional money to people who are unemployed because people who are working already got that 7.45%, and those optics aren't great, either.

Anyway, 2020 keeps delivering - the year politicians literally started printing money and fighting over who's votes would be bought and for how much.

geeblock Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:51 PM
posted by jmog

It would include anyone that pays FICA, why wouldn’t it include teachers?

Since we pay into strs and not social security and are public employees.. I have no idea I don’t see any payroll tax on my check just fed/state tax and income tax outside of the Medicare and insu

Spock Senior Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 4:23 PM
posted by geeblock

Since we pay into strs and not social security and are public employees.. I have no idea I don’t see any payroll tax on my check just fed/state tax and income tax outside of the Medicare and insu

oh they take plenty, you dont pay SS but you do pay everything else

Spock Senior Member
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 4:23 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Lol no

THen what does it all mean smartass?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 4:31 PM
posted by Spock

THen what does it all mean smartass?

He and others have been explaining it. Just fucking read the last several replies. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login