Impressed by the Trump administration part II

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 8:32 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

By now, tests should be available to anyone who wants one, or one every day. Not "needs", wants. We're not remotely where we should be.

The US is consistently testing more people per million than all but a few countries in the world.  And capacity is continuing to grow.  In many places and cases, if you want a test, you can  make it happen.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 8:35 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The US is consistently testing more people per million than all but a few countries in the world.  And capacity is continuing to grow.  In many places and cases, if you want a test, you can  make it happen.

There's no reason this country should be in an "all but a few" situation.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 8:41 PM

The global capacity for the testing components doesn't exist for what you're proposing.  No one sits around and says "hey, we need to maintain 100X capacity for the once in a century pandemic".

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 9:40 PM

Some countries with vastly smaller populations and inside a small footprint have an advantage. Our testing is strong and getting stronger.  It's not practical that every person in this or any other country is going to have enough tests available to get tested daily. That's not practical or necessary. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 9:49 PM

Many books and manuals say trump is doing great. Also many charts say we are the lowest 

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 10:40 PM
posted by geeblock

Many books and manuals say trump is doing great. Also many charts say we are the lowest 

The lowest in what?  

I don't think Trump's done great or horrible. Same with the other pols. It's a viral pandemic. There's very little control they have over it. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 1:42 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie
I don't think Trump's done great or horrible. Same with the other pols. It's a viral pandemic. There's very little control they have over it. 

There's a lot of truth in that.  About a month ago, I saw a Politico(?) article praising Hawaii's response.  At the time, they were down to basically 0 cases per day.  Literally the day after that article posted they had 30 cases and began spiking.  They now head the CDC list as fastest increasing spread with 150-200 cases per day, or about 4X their previous high.

Same thing with Australia.  Articles praising how much better they handled this than Trump.  Melbourne just declared a state of emergency (granted, still only about 1/4 the cases per capita as Florida in its recent peak).

And, I'm still suspicious that what we have in the US isn't quite a bit more contagious than what Europe, much less Asia, got hit with.  A lot of data from Europe said there is no asymptomatic spread, and that doesn't line up with what we're seeing here.  Also, many Europe studies showed pre-teens don't get it and don't spread it....but in the US we have ample anecdotal evidence that they do catch it and spread it (just only about 1/3 as much as adults).

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 4:56 AM
posted by gut

There's a lot of truth in that.  About a month ago, I saw a Politico(?) article praising Hawaii's response.  At the time, they were down to basically 0 cases per day.  Literally the day after that article posted they had 30 cases and began spiking.  They now head the CDC list as fastest increasing spread with 150-200 cases per day, or about 4X their previous high.

Same thing with Australia.  Articles praising how much better they handled this than Trump.  Melbourne just declared a state of emergency (granted, still only about 1/4 the cases per capita as Florida in its recent peak).

And, I'm still suspicious that what we have in the US isn't quite a bit more contagious than what Europe, much less Asia, got hit with.  A lot of data from Europe said there is no asymptomatic spread, and that doesn't line up with what we're seeing here.  Also, many Europe studies showed pre-teens don't get it and don't spread it....but in the US we have ample anecdotal evidence that they do catch it and spread it (just only about 1/3 as much as adults).

I don't know why the COVID debate moved to this thread, but as I said in the COVID thread Europeans are not practicing safety measures well at all.  If you all came here, you would see the same shit people bitch about happening in the states.  It might be even worse.
Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:48 AM

How can you say that Trump is doing horrible with this?  There is nothing to compare it to.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 2:02 PM
posted by geeblock

I can’t believe after watching that axios interview anyone would vote for that con artist 

When will Joe Biden give an interview? 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 6:12 PM

Bible Thumpers rejoice!

www.pic.twitter.com/cJ8fbghmAm

gut Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 6:19 PM
posted by Automatik

Bible Thumpers rejoice!

www.pic.twitter.com/cJ8fbghmAm

Say what you want about Trump, but he referenced God, guns and climate change within the span of a few seconds.  It often takes Joe longer just to stumble through a single word.

Automatik Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 6:42 PM

I'm interested to see how Trump addresses Biden's speech impediment during the debates. I expect a lot of low blows. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:07 PM
posted by gut

Say what you want about Trump, but he referenced God, guns and climate change within the span of a few seconds.  It often takes Joe longer just to stumble through a single word.

You must have missed the Yo-Semite and the Thighland comment.....

Trump makes so many gafes on a daily basis.

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:09 PM
posted by Automatik

I'm interested to see how Trump addresses Biden's speech impediment during the debates. I expect a lot of low blows. 

He probably will because Trump is an asshole. But, one of the best things I have seen Biden talk about the last year was his answer on a town hall on overcoming his studdering problem. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:18 PM
posted by Automatik

Is “speech impediment” a new euphemism for dementia that I haven’t heard about?

Joe always had gaffes, but he didn’t have this “impediment” even 4 years ago when he was VP.

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:21 PM
posted by jmog

Joe always had gaffes, but he didn’t have this “impediment” even 4 years ago when he was VP.

Look it up. It is actually a pretty good story on how he overcome the problem growing up. 

It reminds me a lot of Annie Glenn, John Glenn's wife who also had the problem. 

Automatik Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 8:26 PM
posted by jmog

Not sure if serious?

Ever talked to someone with someone with dementia? Even a mild case? 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 9:06 PM

Jmog is such a douche

Making yourself look a) dumb and b) like an asshole just to STAN for your political party. Smh

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login