2020 Presidential Election thread

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Aug 24, 2020 4:24 PM
posted by justincredible

Is this whataboutism? I've heard that's bad.

An interesting word that has gotten traction in this very forum over the last 6-12 months.  It's origins on here seem suspicious though.  Sounds an awful lot like a google search grab that was pawned off as a part of a poster's everyday vocabulary.  Then again, since we are all medical, legal, coaching, business, programming, experts, maybe it was always part of our vernacular.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 24, 2020 5:33 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Which is better, what Biden said or whatever the fuck Trump said today? Wooboy. 

I know they both suck, but after comparing the two so far, I cannot see how people equate the two. Trump is just spewing so many false statements it is hard to keep pace. 

LOL

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 24, 2020 5:33 PM
posted by justincredible

Is this whataboutism? I've heard that's bad.

Well, if that means comparing what Trump says at a convention and then what Biden says at a convention then I guess....

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 24, 2020 7:57 PM

The African-American women (Kimberly Klacik) running in Maryland is speaking tonight.  I guess Diamond and Silk weren't available.

I'm curious to see how she does.  Could be a ginormous moment for her, except she probably has no chance of winning her district.  So even if she gives a great speech tonight, where does she go from there?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 7:51 AM
posted by gut

The African-American women (Kimberly Klacik) running in Maryland is speaking tonight.  I guess Diamond and Silk weren't available.

I'm curious to see how she does.  Could be a ginormous moment for her, except she probably has no chance of winning her district.  So even if she gives a great speech tonight, where does she go from there?

She definitely has 0 shot of winning, but she is going to grow her platform one way or the other. From what I have seen so far she is very well spoken.  The diamond and silk show is not a fair comparison.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 11:24 AM

If I were Diamond or Silk, I would think exactly that

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 12:09 PM

She blew it.  I had a hard time understanding every other word, probably because of the audio but also because she doesn't enunciate all that well.  Wasn't helped by the fact the sound & video were a bit out of sync.  And all that drew my focus to a gigantic set of chompers.

Again, unless Trump wins and gives her an administrative position, she really has nowhere to go.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 12:53 PM
posted by gut

She blew it.  I had a hard time understanding every other word, probably because of the audio but also because she doesn't enunciate all that well.  Wasn't helped by the fact the sound & video were a bit out of sync.  And all that drew my focus to a gigantic set of chompers.

Again, unless Trump wins and gives her an administrative position, she really has nowhere to go.

Isn't that generally the end result of being a "firebrand" politician who happens to live in a state/region that tends to go hardcore towards the other party? Either parlaying your diehard nature into a job under a high-ranking politician like the president or into a pundit job on TV, with a side bonus of doing a book or two about how the other side sucks and your side is the only way to save the country.

Shit, if anything, it's probably better to be in that position. Get your name out there by being really loud and defiant in a battle everyone knows you're going to lose and fall upwards where you'll get the fame and recognition, minus most of the headaches you'd have if you were actually trying to do something.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 1:39 PM
posted by Heretic

...Either parlaying your diehard nature into a job under a high-ranking politician like the president or into a pundit job on TV

I thought of a tv gig when I wrote that.  But if Candace Owens can't do better than infrequent contributor, there's not much hope for KK.

I don't know if she's a "diehard" or "firebrand" - only seen a 30 second commercial and a 60 second speech.  Just pointing out she got a huge opportunity and failed before she started because of technical issues.  If it was live, then they made a bad choice to go live having seen the variety of glitches with the DNC.  If it was recorded then there's really no excuse.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:29 PM

She posted a photo on tweeter back in 2017 that came up as a top google image search item. I'll refrain from posting it here.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:46 PM
posted by justincredible

She posted a photo on tweeter back in 2017 that came up as a top google image search item. I'll refrain from posting it here.

Googling her, whether you're talking about the open, really low-cut v-neck top pic or the top-n-panties while sitting on a white rug-like thing on the floor, I do have to say her Twitter game is a lot stronger than what most poli-people can manage.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:48 PM
posted by Heretic

Googling her, whether you're talking about the open, really low-cut v-neck top pic or the top-n-panties while sitting on a white rug-like thing on the floor, I do have to say her Twitter game is a lot stronger than what most poli-people can manage.

The first one is what I'm referring to. Didn't see the other one.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:51 PM
posted by justincredible

The first one is what I'm referring to. Didn't see the other one.

It was a couple rows lower on Google, if you're using a computer. I always was a believer in doing extra research when given the proper motivation!

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:51 PM

Just post the god damn pics!

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 5:17 PM
posted by Heretic

It was a couple rows lower on Google, if you're using a computer. I always was a believer in doing extra research when given the proper motivation!

I saw that one.  But I think she's OK if a couple of provocative twitter pics and one post "objectifying women" are all that's out there.  Seems like a right-wing version of AOC, without the crazy stupidity.

Really, really dumb political choice for her to support Trump.  Pretty clearly not trying to win that district, but I suppose it did get her a spotlight at the RNC.

She's already a savvy pol - demonize the opposition and point out everything that's wrong while offering no solutions.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 8:37 PM

Checking in with the RNC...the crazy Florida QA lady is invited to the Trumps speech on Thursday. So, congrats GOP, you are fully embracing QAnon. 

Also, there was one speaker that has a history of spewing anti-Jewish hate shit. So....awesome. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/25/rnc-speaker-retweets-anti-semitic-rant-401851

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 8:44 PM

No plans to watch any of the convention, but Kimberly Guilfoyle's speech spawned some good memes. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Checking in with the RNC...the crazy Florida QA lady is invited to the Trumps speech on Thursday. So, congrats GOP, you are fully embracing QAnon. 

Also, there was one speaker that has a history of spewing anti-Jewish hate shit. So....awesome. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/25/rnc-speaker-retweets-anti-semitic-rant-401851

Sigh. The Qanon woman is tiresome, but spare me pretending you care about the squad anti semites. Let me be clear, Qanon is garbage, but don’t pretend there isn’t as dumb shit on the other side. Whataboutism is alive and well. Sarsour....

0 posts 0 reps Joined Aug 2020
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 10:55 PM
posted by iclfan2

Sigh. The Qanon woman is tiresome, but spare me pretending you care about the squad anti semites. Let me be clear, Qanon is garbage, but don’t pretend there isn’t as dumb shit on the other side. Whataboutism is alive and well. 

Nice spin. RNC is a mess, and honestly I’m shocked they found speakers that aren’t Trump’s. I guess when the psychopaths are the only ones left, you gotta have someone up there...then you have your minion supporters spin it into “yeah well the Dems have bad people too!!!”
majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 25, 2020 11:29 PM

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login