Cincinnati Reds 2018 Season thread

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 10:49 AM
posted by BRF

I was just reading about Homer Bailey stopping his re-hab. Then I read his contract status. Yikes!

But to make up for it all he is an ass

He got that contract because his stuff, age, peripherals lined up just like Max Scherzer

Awesome

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 3:19 PM
posted by Ironman92

But to make up for it all he is an ass

He got that contract because his stuff, age, peripherals lined up just like Max Scherzer

Awesome

Was there anyone on this site happy about Bailey's contract at any point in time other than maybe one person (Azu? maybe?), who constantly preached about how his peripherals said he'd be very good, as opposed to Leake, whom he dismissed as a back-of-the-rotation guy despite the fact that both guys were giving the same general results night in and night out? Which seemed to be a bad take as Leake's been a steady "decent but not great" mid-tier starter, while Bailey descended from "good...if healthy" to "WTF, LOL" status with these last four years of (a) never being healthy and (b) absolutely sucking ass when he does get enough duck tape wrapped on him to be able to pitch.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 3:43 PM

Didn’t help that Homer had two no hitters. I still think if you get rid of those two no hitters, he doesn’t get the contract he did. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 4:05 PM
posted by Heretic

Was there anyone on this site happy about Bailey's contract at any point in time other than maybe one person (Azu? maybe?), who constantly preached about how his peripherals said he'd be very good, as opposed to Leake, whom he dismissed as a back-of-the-rotation guy despite the fact that both guys were giving the same general results night in and night out? Which seemed to be a bad take as Leake's been a steady "decent but not great" mid-tier starter, while Bailey descended from "good...if healthy" to "WTF, LOL" status with these last four years of (a) never being healthy and (b) absolutely sucking ass when he does get enough duck tape wrapped on him to be able to pitch.

Obviously not on this site but Lance McAllister (Cincinnati sports media for 700WLW) use to get into it with fans constantly last year defending Bailey. Every time I see something negative associated with Bailey - a common occurrence this year - I think of how much of an ass McAllister made himself out to be. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 4:07 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Didn’t help that Homer had two no hitters. I still think if you get rid of those two no hitters, he doesn’t get the contract he did. 

Not sure...had he lost them both in the 9th and had 2 one-hitters, who knows.

Leake throws 91 mph and is tied for wins on the team with 3rd best record in baseball. What metric measures deception? What metric measures getting a hitter to put a ball in play to one side of the infield? Leake gets hammered some. Been in league for a good while, everyone knows his stuff but most of his starts have given the M’s a solid chance to win the game. I know wins don’t matter but I’ll take 90 over 67 in 2 less seasons. Seems better. So many factors.

and yes, Azu loves him some Homer

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 4:10 PM

And yes I know the Red Sox will knock Leake around for about 7 in 3 innings but doesn’t change my stance

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 16, 2018 5:09 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Obviously not on this site but Lance McAllister (Cincinnati sports media for 700WLW) use to get into it with fans constantly last year defending Bailey. Every time I see something negative associated with Bailey - a common occurrence this year - I think of how much of an ass McAllister made himself out to be. 

Lance is dumber than a sack of hammers. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jun 17, 2018 3:26 PM

2% catch probability....watch this

Great jump, insane speed— full layout near fence

No one else catches this ball except for young Andruw Jones

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2165770983

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jun 17, 2018 8:00 PM

One of the greatest examples of sportsmanship I've ever seen from the Pirate batter. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jun 17, 2018 9:25 PM
posted by BRF

One of the greatest examples of sportsmanship I've ever seen from the Pirate batter. 

That’s what tell the story of how great of a catch that was. Cervelli bitches as much as anyone. This is equal to John Lackey congratulating the batter for an incredible hit.

BRF Senior Member
Sun, Jun 17, 2018 10:16 PM
posted by Ironman92

That’s what tell the story of how great of a catch that was. Cervelli bitches as much as anyone. This is equal to John Lackey congratulating the batter for an incredible hit.

Or Dennis Eckersley's "Wow" on the Manny Ramirez homer. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jun 17, 2018 11:03 PM
posted by BRF

Yes. When the big timers are impressed on the field or in the dugout...you know it’s a different level.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 18, 2018 3:13 PM
posted by BRF

that was cool...very cool

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 20, 2018 10:36 AM
posted by Ironman92

Votto started 21 games to start the season before hitting a HR.....now he’s on a 26 game starts without a HR (98 AB)

Not good enough

Went to the game last night and was pretty happy to see a Votto slam. Hopefully he has a nice little power surge over the next few weeks.

Fri, Jun 22, 2018 9:06 AM

Reds have won 4 straight. On pace now to only lose 99 games.

Fri, Jun 22, 2018 9:55 PM

Reds win their 5th straight. I love when they beat the Cubs. 

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 22, 2018 10:15 PM

8 of 10? I’ll take it. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jun 22, 2018 10:28 PM

They are decent folks 

Looking at this team....2nd worst record in NL but they have 7 guys you could argue as all-stars. They’ll get 1 but Scooter and Suarez are musts right now. Scooter is killing it and Suarez might be one of the most unknown stars in this league. Votto can always be argued. Relief pitching....Amir Garrett, David Hernandez, Jared Hughes have been great all season. Iglesias is electric.

Schebler is a leadoff and got this going

Billy is a blast

Winker great hitting potential

Duvall GG left field type....can’t hit but drives them in like crazy. Tucker Barnhart is a GG catcher and hits good.

Tyler Mahle...good young starter

Harvey hit 98 last start

This team is a good watch right now. I’m cautiously hopeful. We’ll see.

Bryan Price was terrible

BRF Senior Member
Fri, Jun 22, 2018 10:50 PM

Go Reds. 

Fri, Jun 22, 2018 11:34 PM
posted by Ironman92

They are decent folks 

Looking at this team....2nd worst record in NL but they have 7 guys you could argue as all-stars. They’ll get 1 but Scooter and Suarez are musts right now. Scooter is killing it and Suarez might be one of the most unknown stars in this league. Votto can always be argued. Relief pitching....Amir Garrett, David Hernandez, Jared Hughes have been great all season. Iglesias is electric.

Schebler is a leadoff and got this going

Billy is a blast

Winker great hitting potential

Duvall GG left field type....can’t hit but drives them in like crazy. Tucker Barnhart is a GG catcher and hits good.

Tyler Mahle...good young starter

Harvey hit 98 last start

This team is a good watch right now. I’m cautiously hopeful. We’ll see.

Bryan Price was terrible

Suarez for Simon was so good. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login