Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 7:20 PM

They knew

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 7:24 PM

So Justin Fields is now a Steeler.

PIT walking the streets picking up discarded scratch-off lotto tickets hoping for luck.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 7:25 PM
posted by gut

So Justin Fields is now a Steeler.

PIT walking the streets picking up discarded scratch-off lotto tickets hoping for luck.

And what did they give up?

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 7:38 PM

Whatever it was it was not a quarter BILLION.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 7:58 PM

So Tomlin was up front with Fields know that Wilson would be the starter. Fields is excited for the change.

Sounds good to me.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 8:13 PM
posted by Ironman92

And what did they give up?

Jack squat.  My point was Yinzers are hi-fiving each other over PIT grabbing guys no one else wanted.

Fields is the running version of Pickett.  Wilson is probably washed.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Mar 16, 2024 8:15 PM
posted by gut

Jack squat.  My point was Yinzers are hi-fiving each other over PIT grabbing guys no one else wanted.

Fields is the running version of Pickett.  Wilson is probably washed.

Who were you wanting? 

Kenny?

Williams?

Cousins?

Rudolph?

Automatik Senior Member
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 12:32 AM

CLE wouldn’t want Patrick Queen? Ok.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 9:32 AM
posted by Automatik

CLE wouldn’t want Patrick Queen? Ok.

Meh...Queen came on after the Rats acquired Roquan Smith. Prior to that, middle of the road LB. Plus he got overpaid for his talent level.

On a side note, not overly thrilled the Browns picked up former Steeler bust Devin Bush. Andrew Berry sometimes has the same issue with former 1st rounders that the Steelers are currently doing with QB's, hoping to find lightning in a bottle reclamation projects on 1 year deals.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 11:40 AM

I mean it’s not possible to be loaded at every position.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 12:12 PM
posted by Ironman92

Who were you wanting? 

Kenny?

Williams?

Cousins?

Rudolph?

"Want" is far too strong of a word.  Both of these guys are done.  Some people are acting like this is the missing piece to a championship.  Getting guys that nobody wanted cheap doesn't usually pay off.

It's an upgrade, but it's not going to move the needle much.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 2:58 PM
posted by gut

"Want" is far too strong of a word.  Both of these guys are done.  Some people are acting like this is the missing piece to a championship.  Getting guys that nobody wanted cheap doesn't usually pay off.

It's an upgrade, but it's not going to move the needle much.

What QB move would’ve moved the needle though?

gut Senior Member
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 3:46 PM
posted by Ironman92

What QB move would’ve moved the needle though?

None.  I'm just talking about the Yinzers creaming themselves over these "great" moves.  Reality is hardly anyone wanted those two stiffs.

Maybe Wilson has enough left for them to win an actual playoff game.  But I highly doubt it, and my guess is he looks completely washed in their jv offense.  Fields will probably be comical if he gets a shot.

And they've apparently promised Wilson a long-term deal after the season.  So I really hope he can still be a top-15 QB in their offense.  Depends on how much Tomlin obstructs the new OC.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 4:08 PM
posted by gut

None.  I'm just talking about the Yinzers creaming themselves over these "great" moves.  Reality is hardly anyone wanted those two stiffs.

Maybe Wilson has enough left for them to win an actual playoff game.  But I highly doubt it, and my guess is he looks completely washed in their jv offense.  Fields will probably be comical if he gets a shot.

And they've apparently promised Wilson a long-term deal after the season.  So I really hope he can still be a top-15 QB in their offense.  Depends on how much Tomlin obstructs the new OC.

For $1.2 million and a 3rd day pick they upped they QB room and got rid of the main guy that didn’t want to compete.

I think it may be tough to watch early on and I think it could be very solid when it gets to be important and the weather goes bad. If they can avoid big turnover numbers I like the change. I really like the chances that one of them is pretty good this season. I don’t feel Pittsburgh has had a QB with any weapons since Ben retired….I think both of these guys could show a combination of throwing (Wilson) and running (Fields) weapons.

I like the move, not expecting a 12+ win season but I like the likely improvement. A lot of factors go along with it.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 6:19 PM

So Fields rejected 4 teams in trades before he accepted the Steelers move

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Sun, Mar 17, 2024 8:26 PM
posted by gut

One of the interesting dynamics to watch is that, yes, Pickett sucked but he got rid of the ball very quickly and didn't take a lot of sacks. 

For Steeler fans, they'd better hope that the O-Line protection improved significantly and it wasn't just Pickett chucking it as quickly as possible. 

I say this because Justin Fields led the league in time holding onto the ball when in the pocket. Number two? Russell Wilson. Could equate to a lot more sacks.

I still think Fields is an upgrade for you guys. Wilson? Not so much.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 18, 2024 10:43 AM

I like the Fields move. Give up basically nothing (since it only goes up to a 4th round pick if he plays a lot and from what I saw, he's not expected to be the starter or anything) for a very athletic QB whose main issue is consistency. If Fields doesn't progress as a player, he's still better than Pickett was, but if leaving the horribly-run Bears and getting a change of scenery pays off for him, he could wind up being a very good player for them.

As far as Wilson goes, no real expectations. Dude hasn't been good for a long time and comes off weird as fuck, so there will be lulz provided by his attempts at being motivational, but I kind of prefer it when those lulz aren't coming at the expense of a team I care about.

Fields is definitely an upgrade over Pickett, not so sure about Wilson, due to his ability with the Broncos to just kill a game with a horrible mistake. The thing about Pickett was that he really just did nothing. It was rare he had a game-killing blunder, but it was also rare that he made a game-saving play. There was the game-winner in the first game with Baltimore last year, which was awesome, but after that, he was back to his typical sort of 13-22, 155, 0 TD, 0 INT performance that just doesn't move the needle any way whatsoever.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 21, 2024 2:28 PM

How's everyone feeling about offseason moves so far?

I'm very happy with what the Jets did, it gives them a ton of flexibility going into the draft. Still injury/durability concerns, but at this point they only need to draft for depth.

Automatik Senior Member
Thu, Mar 21, 2024 2:33 PM

I'd give Pitts a B.

Need a receiver now. I wouldn't mind Cantguardmike

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login