2021 Olympics Thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:52 PM
posted by Ironman92

I don’t like where this might be going.

In the era of participation medals, it was only a matter of time before an athlete quitting was called "courageous".
Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:56 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Of course Phelps and Ledecki aren't going to criticize their former Olympic teammate in public

Probably not.  But a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks (like me) don't really have an experience comparable to judge from afar.  If this were her first Olympics and she had been touted based only on her potential, I would probably wonder about her toughness.  But she has already won at the highest levels - repeatedly.  So that tells me she is tough.  What happened here, I don't know.  But gymnastics seems like a huge mental game where you're watched in such detail.  Maybe her age factored in - maybe it's hard to be fearless in the air when you're 24 vs when you're 18.  Maybe this wasn't a problem for her until this week.  I don't know.  But I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's got good motives and wanted to do the right thing.  She's got a strong track record that backs that up.

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 4:08 PM
posted by Al Bundy

The only elite athlete that I can think of who did something equivalent to this was Roberto Duran with his "no mas" fight.

And Oliver McCall's breakdown during his second fight w/ LLewis. 

(Not naming McCall as elite)

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 4:42 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Probably not.  But a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks (like me) don't really have an experience comparable to judge from afar.  If this were her first Olympics and she had been touted based only on her potential, I would probably wonder about her toughness.  But she has already won at the highest levels - repeatedly.  So that tells me she is tough.  What happened here, I don't know.  But gymnastics seems like a huge mental game where you're watched in such detail.  Maybe her age factored in - maybe it's hard to be fearless in the air when you're 24 vs when you're 18.  Maybe this wasn't a problem for her until this week.  I don't know.  But I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's got good motives and wanted to do the right thing.  She's got a strong track record that backs that up.

Of course we don't know what it is like to be Biles, but on a message board we can give opinions on a topic without having been in that exact situation. We wouldn't have  pro sports or politics threads if that was a requirement.

I don't see why it so bad to say that Biles was elite in 2016 but sucked in 2021. If athletes do a sport long enough, they will reach a point where they decline. Most of them don't willingly quit in the middle of a competition.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 5:02 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Of course we don't know what it is like to be Biles, but on a message board we can give opinions on a topic without having been in that exact situation. We wouldn't have  pro sports or politics threads if that was a requirement.

I don't see why it so bad to say that Biles was elite in 2016 but sucked in 2021. If athletes do a sport long enough, they will reach a point where they decline. Most of them don't willingly quit in the middle of a competition.

Didnt seem like she was on the decline but she sure did cash in this olympic cycle.  Probably made millions on endorsements.  

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 5:17 PM
posted by Fletch

Didnt seem like she was on the decline but she sure did cash in this olympic cycle.  Probably made millions on endorsements.  

Yeah, she was really leaning into the whole "GOAT" thing, and probably trying desperately to cash-in.  She's obviously a household name by now, but for the most part people only care about gymnastics every 4 years.  So this was probably her last shot to secure some nice endorsement deals.

She was "struggling" in the trials, with a number of mistakes but still over 2+ points ahead of second.  I also think she was leading the all round when she pulled out.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 5:25 PM

She comes out of this unscathed and probably ahead in regards to optics with the soccer moms and housewives.  Sports junkies and the like will look at it as a quitter.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 5:48 PM
posted by gut

Yeah, she was really leaning into the whole "GOAT" thing, and probably trying desperately to cash-in.  She's obviously a household name by now, but for the most part people only care about gymnastics every 4 years.  So this was probably her last shot to secure some nice endorsement deals.

She was "struggling" in the trials, with a number of mistakes but still over 2+ points ahead of second.  I also think she was leading the all round when she pulled out.

I saw that her net worth is $6 million, so she has already cashed in.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 6:07 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Comparatively speaking, no.  Michael Phelps is worth $80M.  Heck, McKayla Maroney is worth $3M.

She's still marketable, obviously, and in some respects maybe even more so.  But I think she choked away some BIG paychecks.

Wed, Jul 28, 2021 6:19 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Not doubting this, but out of curiosity, how'd you find this out?

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 6:36 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/much-us-olympian-simone-biles-210021591.html

Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM
posted by Al Bundy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/much-us-olympian-simone-biles-210021591.html

Thanks for the link. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:42 PM
posted by gut

Comparatively speaking, no.  Michael Phelps is worth $80M.  Heck, McKayla Maroney is worth $3M.

She's still marketable, obviously, and in some respects maybe even more so.  But I think she choked away some BIG paychecks.

Unless they do something stupid, they are all set for life.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 9:17 PM

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=simone+biles+net+worth

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:14 PM

I mean Laurie Hernandez and her dad are still in the Trulicity commercials and she’s not even competing anymore. 

It’d be interesting if they’d bring Simone back for future Olympics for gymnastics commentary. I bet they still would.

Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:21 PM
posted by superman

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=simone+biles+net+worth

Moving home plate? Heightening the net?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:25 PM

Anyone watch a weird amount of the same thing? I think I saw every one of the America women’s 3x3 basketball games.

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 29, 2021 9:28 AM
posted by Ironman92

Softball lost gold….seems like same team from 3 Olympics ago

Softball going downhill in the US…despite the insane travel ball numbers

Monica Abbott and Cat Osterman were the only holdovers from 2008. 

The NCAA's juiced ball and the lack of a large viable pro league aren't doing the U.S. any favors.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 29, 2021 11:21 AM
posted by gut

When does she get to stop getting frisbees off of roofs? 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jul 30, 2021 9:52 AM

Never forget what was taken from us...

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login