2021 Olympics Thread

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:46 AM
posted by geeblock

You do realize they won the silver medal. If she had performed badly you wouldn’t be saying well she tried for her team, you would be dragging her for costing her team a medal. 

If you polled her teammates before she left to see if they wanted her to stay and do it regardless of the fact that she could keep them from any medal, my guess is that 100% of them would want her to perform.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:49 AM
posted by Fletch

you cant be serious???

That was per markayla marony who was an actual Olympic medalist in the sport. I’m gonna go ahead and lean on her take, than some dudes preaching about dealing with pressure anonymously in a chat room. Lol 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:50 AM
posted by Fletch

If you polled her teammates before she left to see if they wanted her to stay and do it regardless of the fact that she could keep them from any medal, my guess is that 100% of them would want her to perform.

U literally just made that up 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:05 AM
posted by geeblock

Reports are she struggled because the floor was white and the ceiling was white 

Add that to the critical race theory curriculum.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:10 AM
posted by geeblock

You do realize they won the silver medal. If she had performed badly you wouldn’t be saying well she tried for her team, you would be dragging her for costing her team a medal. 

From all reports that I have read, there isn't an injury, she just didn't feel like competing. For an elite athlete to just quit in the middle of competition at the highest level is inexcusable.

Fletch Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:15 AM
posted by geeblock

U literally just made that up 

hence me using the words "my guess"....... I believe that her teammates would want her to compete at it regardless of the outcome.

As for her inability to compete....unreal.  Not sure I have ever seen anything like it.   

I am going out on a limb at calling BS on it.  I just dont think that elite athletes at this level just walk off.  There is something else going on here.  Its being covered up with this excuse.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:21 AM
posted by Fletch

hence me using the words "my guess"....... I believe that her teammates would want her to compete at it regardless of the outcome.

As for her inability to compete....unreal.  Not sure I have ever seen anything like it.   

I am going out on a limb at calling BS on it.  I just dont think that elite athletes at this level just walk off.  There is something else going on here.  Its being covered up with this excuse.

The only elite athlete that I can think of who did something equivalent to this was Roberto Duran with his "no mas" fight.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:34 AM

What color is the ceiling for the other gymnasts?

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 11:57 AM

Grown men getting outraged over gymnastics is hilarious.

That being said, total choke. Some Gen Z bullshit, should not be celebrated.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 12:12 PM

One does not simply put on GOAT slippers and then walk off....

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 12:27 PM
posted by gut

One does not simply put on GOAT slippers and then walk off....

You mean like Jordan did for almost 2 years?

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 12:34 PM
posted by brutus161

Maybe if Jordan had walked off in the middle of game 2 of the finals....

Fletch Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 12:34 PM
posted by brutus161

He finished his season

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 1:25 PM
posted by Ironman92

What color is the ceiling for the other gymnasts?

Beat me to it.  She choked, gblock.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:07 PM

So far, I've hear both Michael Phelps and Katy Ledecki speak in defense of Biles.  I put a lot more credibility into what they say than what I think - being that HS football and wrestling are the highest levels I've competed in.  She's in an individual sport and if she felt like she was going to cost the team in points, maybe she made the right move.  Had she then competed in the individual stuff, I guess I would have questioned this more, but she's not going to do that.  She's won many gold medals and other awards before, so she is well versed on competing and winning a the highest levels, so I can't see how she can be accused of not handling the pressure.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:16 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

...so I can't see how she can be accused of not handling the pressure.

Maybe because she literally said she couldn't handle the pressure?

Although Ladecki or Phelps probably aren't going to drown if they have a panic attack during a race.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:28 PM
posted by gut

Maybe because she literally said she couldn't handle the pressure?

Although Ladecki or Phelps probably aren't going to drown if they have a panic attack during a race.

True what you say, but I mean in her history, she's shown she can compete and win at the highest levels.  So it's not like this was the first time she'd ever performed under high expectations.  

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:35 PM

I suspect what's bothering her goes beyond the sport. Hope she gets it figured out. Choke notwithstanding, she's still the GOAT by a sizable amount. Assuming she hangs it up, it leaves Joey Chestnut as the only active indisputable "sports" GOAT.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:44 PM

Many going with her being so brave on FB and her mental health and physical health isn’t worth a gold medal…..then saying Kerri Strug shouldn’t have vaulted back in the day when she helped women’s gymnast take gold….went after the harshness of Coach Kiroly. Now for one….Kiroly and basically every coach of those girls can eat a dong but where does this stop? I wonder Strug’s thoughts? Was it worth it to her? Ultimate story of toughness….was it too much, has she been negatively effected?…..really like her thoughts on this.

I don’t like where this might be going.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 2:49 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

So far, I've hear both Michael Phelps and Katy Ledecki speak in defense of Biles.  I put a lot more credibility into what they say than what I think - being that HS football and wrestling are the highest levels I've competed in.  She's in an individual sport and if she felt like she was going to cost the team in points, maybe she made the right move.  Had she then competed in the individual stuff, I guess I would have questioned this more, but she's not going to do that.  She's won many gold medals and other awards before, so she is well versed on competing and winning a the highest levels, so I can't see how she can be accused of not handling the pressure.

Of course Phelps and Ledecki aren't going to criticize their former Olympic teammate in public

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login