2020 College football thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:32 PM
posted by wildcats20

Bama is lock unless Florida curb stomps them.

I understand that.  I don't agree with it.

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:37 PM
posted by gut

I understand that.  I don't agree with it.

Why? You think because they lose the SEC title to a good Florida team, they aren’t one of the best 4 teams? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:52 PM
posted by wildcats20

Why? You think because they lose the SEC title to a good Florida team, they aren’t one of the best 4 teams?

No, I'm saying the SEC title game is, or should be, a play-in game.  I'd apply that logic to all CC games.

And, actually, I don't know if Bama is a top-4 team if they lose to FL.  I might think that, but I WOULD know Bama wasn't the best team in their conference.

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:26 PM

The “rule” is going to be changed, allowing OSU(rightfully) into the B1G championship game. Announcement coming sometime today. 

Would have been less dramatic to just schedule a game for them, but that’s the Kevin Warren for ya. 

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:43 PM

It seems pointless to scramble and get Ohio State a game because win or lose the would play in the championship game. The B1G will change the rules.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:47 PM

OSU deserves to be in it, by beating the 2nd best team. I just don’t understand why you instituted the rule to begin the year if you’re going to bend over backwards when this situation arises. It looks horrible for everyone involved.

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 2:08 PM

IU/Purdue officially cancelled. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:00 PM

What's the big deal about changing the "rule".  After all, there was once a "rule" that the Big Ten wouldn't play any games this year.  That was changed.  So what.  Ohio State is the best team in its division, it beat Indiana head-to-head.  This is absolutely the right move.  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:15 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What's the big deal about changing the "rule".  After all, there was once a "rule" that the Big Ten wouldn't play any games this year.  That was changed.  So what.  Ohio State is the best team in its division, it beat Indiana head-to-head.  This is absolutely the right move.  

Because there are now plenty of people saying it’s fine to bend the rules for OSU. But they wouldn’t bend the rules unless it was OSU. Why did they put in a minimum game requirement at all?

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:35 PM

I'd probably bitch too, but more-so if the 6th game L would keep them out of the title game, which it wouldn't. 

The B10 brought this on themselves for dragging their feet. But now....ohh OSU and $$$$! Let's change it.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:50 PM

$6m/14 = $420K

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 4:35 PM
posted by Laley23

Because there are now plenty of people saying it’s fine to bend the rules for OSU. But they wouldn’t bend the rules unless it was OSU. Why did they put in a minimum game requirement at all?

To those people I'd say - it's not like he six game rule is some decades-old tradition the Big Ten has observed.  It was an arbitrary number they set when they were scrambling to undo another brand new rule (that there'd be no Big Ten season).

I think this change would be made for any team in OSU's position because it's only fair.  The playoff has nothing to do with it because OSU would still be getting into that without the Big Ten championship game (likely).

The bitching I've heard primarily comes from Michigan fans.  And who the hell cares what they think.  Their program is irrelevant so they have nothing better to do than try to drag others into their hell.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 5:07 PM
posted by Laley23

It is fine. Why pretend the various members are equal?

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 6:02 PM
posted by Laley23

OSU deserves to be in it, by beating the 2nd best team. I just don’t understand why you instituted the rule to begin the year if you’re going to bend over backwards when this situation arises. It looks horrible for everyone involved.

I agree partly. I think the fact that OSU was in this week win or lose as long as the game was played is enough that people should understand why the rule was amended. Kevin Warren has proven to be a joke as a commish and should be gone at this point.

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 6:06 PM

OSU could have forfeited the game with Michigan and technically reached the six game mark.  That's a screwed up way to look at it.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 7:16 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

It is fine. Why pretend the various members are equal?

Exactly. It isn’t that it’s OSU, it’s that it’s a perpetual conference powerhouse. You gonna screw over your most important team for some stupid made up rule from August?

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 7:22 PM
posted by iclfan2

Exactly. It isn’t that it’s OSU, it’s that it’s a perpetual conference powerhouse. You gonna screw over your most important team for some stupid made up rule from August?

Correct. Should be noted that "perpetual conference powerhouse" is the same as "one of the few that generate nearly all the money". And it matters, and there's no reason it should not.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 7:34 PM

I don’t have any problem with OSU being accommodated. They’re obviously one of the best teams in the country. I do wish they could have found a way to expand it to 8 teams this year though. 

Thu, Dec 10, 2020 8:40 PM

Speaking of accommodations, it's certainly too late for next year, but at the nearest point possible in the future, tOSU should get consecutive home games against TTUN.

Fri, Dec 11, 2020 8:40 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Speaking of accommodations, it's certainly too late for next year, but at the nearest point possible in the future, tOSU should get consecutive home games against TTUN.

Doubt they’ll do that. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login