Progressives, part 3...

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 27, 2022 11:21 AM
posted by iclfan2

Ok. Must be something else. Thanks for the info.

Moving from reliable energy to unreliable energy is not something the climate communists want the sheeple to know about. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Dec 27, 2022 7:00 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Moving from reliable energy to unreliable energy is not something the climate communists want the sheeple to know about. 

Texas?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Dec 28, 2022 11:05 AM

That was essentially a transmission problem; it was not a raw material (nat gas) problem.  

There were no issues last week when temps plunged. 

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 28, 2022 10:51 PM
posted by QuakerOats

That was essentially a transmission problem; it was not a raw material (nat gas) problem.  

There were no issues last week when temps plunged. 

Not all was well in Texas last week. You'd think a company HQ'd in Findlay, OH would have this winter thing figured out. Alas, that is not the case.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/marathon-galveston-bay-refinery-texas-shut-by-cold-sources-2022-12-24/

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Dec 29, 2022 8:55 AM
posted by bigorangebuck22

Not all was well in Texas last week. You'd think a company HQ'd in Findlay, OH would have this winter thing figured out. Alas, that is not the case.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/marathon-galveston-bay-refinery-texas-shut-by-cold-sources-2022-12-24/

A couple of years ago, Texas had a major freeze that shut down the grid in a lot of places.  There were transmission problems, but mostly it was lack of generation at coal and NG plants that caused the disruption.

Unfortunately not every occurrence in the world is simply traced to day-to-day Washington politics and ideologues emotional websites.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Dec 29, 2022 12:13 PM

It was a lack of transmission which then created a loop-back effect.  The natural gas was, and is, bountiful. 

Happy New Year. 

Thu, Dec 29, 2022 5:42 PM
posted by QuakerOats

It was a lack of transmission which then created a loop-back effect.  The natural gas was, and is, bountiful. 

Happy New Year. 

The stories of the plants that shut down must have been made up at the time by the liberal media.  Got it.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Dec 30, 2022 10:02 AM

Natural gas plants create power which has to be distributed, but if transmission fails, the electricity that the nat gas plant also needs to operate itself is not available.   Let me know if I need to draw a loop, and then put a break in the loop, for illustration purposes.

Take care.

Fri, Dec 30, 2022 12:33 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Natural gas plants create power which has to be distributed, but if transmission fails, the electricity that the nat gas plant also needs to operate itself is not available.   Let me know if I need to draw a loop, and then put a break in the loop, for illustration purposes.

Take care.

During the freeze in 2021 Texas, many plants were not functioning due to freezing at the plant (equipment), not due to lack of transmission.  This included wind, NG, coal and nuclear plants.  It is very easy to read about. 

The point is that not every occurrence can be simplified into sound bite politics.  In Texas, renewable and non renewable generation failed.  Or in your vernacular- both Marxist and patriotic power generation failed.  

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 30, 2022 1:01 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

During the freeze in 2021 Texas, many plants were not functioning due to freezing at the plant (equipment), not due to lack of transmission.  

And why were the plants so cold the equipment froze?

LOL, c'mon it's not hard.

Fri, Dec 30, 2022 1:12 PM
posted by gut

Jesus, read up on it.  Outside equipment that wasn’t properly insulated froze up.  

I’m not saying they didn’t have transmission problems.  Some plants failed on their own however.  

The original point is not everything that occurs is due to a Tucker Carlson talking point.  

gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 30, 2022 2:47 PM

I’m not saying they didn’t have transmission problems. 

That's exactly what you said.  Verbatim.
Fri, Dec 30, 2022 4:29 PM
posted by gut
That's exactly what you said.  Verbatim.

My original post about this, I said "there were transmission problems".    I was never arguing that there weren't transmission problems.  The fact was in Texas in 2021 several plants shut down because equipment wasn't insulated to handle subzero temps.  You've gotten completely sidetracked.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jan 3, 2023 2:30 PM
posted by gut

Thank you.  At least someone gets it. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 3, 2023 3:21 PM

So 19 Republicans oppose McCarthy as Speaker....in favor of Jim Jordan.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about any more crazy leftwing legislation for two years.

Tue, Jan 3, 2023 3:21 PM

QO: My resolution for 2023 is to try to see that not every occourance in the universe traces it's causes to Washington DC politics.  I'm going to do this by...by...by...by, (stubs toe) uugghhh! Fuckin' Biden!!!!

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 3, 2023 7:31 PM

So it looks like everyone has found a politician that lies too much. It's almost like this Santos guy is just trolling everyone.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 10:08 AM

QO: My resolution for 2023 is to try to see that not every occourance in the universe traces it's causes to Washington DC politics.  I'm going to do this by...by...by...by, (stubs toe) uugghhh! Fuckin' Biden!!!!

I hope all y'all stay healthy  this year, and I'll resolve to not give you too many headaches. 

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 12:40 PM

What's the point of calling multiple votes to elect the Speaker if no one is willing to change their vote?

The interesting aspect is McCarthy can't even call for a plurality because the Dems are united in their votes.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 1:41 PM
posted by gut

What's the point of calling multiple votes to elect the Speaker if no one is willing to change their vote?

The interesting aspect is McCarthy can't even call for a plurality because the Dems are united in their votes.

That is a good question that makes me wonder just how far this is going to play out. Like, will we stll be having votes cast for speaker a year from now or is there some sort of contingency plan for if the majority party isn't capable of picking a person? It's entertaining as fuck, especially considering how it's all come about due to the crazies on the R side wanting a larger voice, but I have no idea what the resolution to any of this is.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login