Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 2:02 PM
posted by Heretic

I have no idea what the resolution to any of this is.

Apparently even a non-member can become the Speaker....so when do one of the crazy people nominate Trump!?!  How much fun would that be?

I guess what could happen is another member - I've heard Scalise - starts picking off McCarthy votes so he eventually drops out.  But I have a feeling no one wants to give in to those 20 people.  Not to mention you need at least 14 of them to vote with the majority.

Crazy thing is I think everyone goes home for 3 weeks after this.  So when do people get sick of the theatrics and start leaving?  I don't see any Dems crossing over to break the gridlock.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 3:20 PM

LOL same result, again, and immediately launch into another vote.

I imagine a lot of razer-thin votes go similarly in that one side is just attempting to wear down the other. It's a valid negotiating tactic, just seems like the country deserves better when legislation affecting millions comes down to which side is more tired and bored.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 3:28 PM
posted by gut

LOL same result, again, and immediately launch into another vote.

I imagine a lot of razer-thin votes go similarly in that one side is just attempting to wear down the other. It's a valid negotiating tactic, just seems like the country deserves better when legislation affecting millions comes down to which side is more tired and bored.

I would imagine at least half of them do not understand the process either.  

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 3:44 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I would imagine at least half of them do not understand the process either.  

One of the holdouts made a great point that he wasn't elected to come here business as usual and just rubber stamp the Repub agenda.  I don't know if it's true, but he went on to say there hasn't been an amendment on the floor in 6+ years, meaning if you're not on committee you have basically no input and are simply expected to vote 'yes'.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to think when you vote for a Rep or Senator that they are going to represent their constituents even if it goes against the party platform.

And, truthfully, both parties have been ruthless with people who don't toe the line.  Doesn't seem to have made policy better or more effective, either.

ts1227 Senior Member
12,351 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 6:10 PM
posted by gut

One of the holdouts made a great point that he wasn't elected to come here business as usual and just rubber stamp the Repub agenda.  I don't know if it's true, but he went on to say there hasn't been an amendment on the floor in 6+ years, meaning if you're not on committee you have basically no input and are simply expected to vote 'yes'.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to think when you vote for a Rep or Senator that they are going to represent their constituents even if it goes against the party platform.

And, truthfully, both parties have been ruthless with people who don't toe the line.  Doesn't seem to have made policy better or more effective, either.

I think it was Chip Roy who brought up the stat about the amendments. His general point yesterday was “why is everyone so threatened about us having a debate on the actual House floor?” and to be honest he’s not wrong

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 7:09 PM
posted by ts1227

I think it was Chip Roy who brought up the stat about the amendments. His general pout yesterday was “why is everyone so threatened about us having a debate on the actual House floor?” and to be honest he’s not wrong

Correct. Who cares if the house doesn’t work for a month? It could only benefit the US instead of spending $1.7T on stupid shit. In fact, I hope the vote takes 2 years. A logjam is only beneficial. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 4, 2023 9:30 PM

Yeah, the longer the logjam, the better. Make those egotistical fucks realize we can be better off without them playing their partisan games that only their diehard cores care about and hope they learn from that.

Is what I'd like to say, but the 24/7 news and those diehards will make all this inaction seem like the most significant action of all time, so we're screwed no matter what.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 5, 2023 9:14 AM
posted by iclfan2

Correct. Who cares if the house doesn’t work for a month? It could only benefit the US instead of spending $1.7T on stupid shit. In fact, I hope the vote takes 2 years. A logjam is only beneficial. 

I don't know that there is anything they can do to stop the horrific $1.7 trillion omnibus from being funded, or the equally horrific Inflation Acceleration Act.  Hope I'm wrong. 

Thu, Jan 5, 2023 6:50 PM

Gblock... I was assured this wasn’t happening… and that LOT was somehow “propoganda”. Feel free to refute. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 8:06 AM
posted by iclfan2

Gblock... I was assured this wasn’t happening… and that LOT was somehow “propoganda”. Feel free to refute. 

You said kids were being groomed and that pedophiles were coming for our children. As far as this goes I have no idea where or what this came from. I don’t believe anything I see on LOT just because they say it’s from a middle school. 

Even if it was you would have to keep them coming for me to even raise an eyebrow. There are millions of students and thousands of schools. It’s not hard to cherry pick a similar conservative type lesson that would also be inappropriate, but that doesn’t make it pervasive or anything more than an outlier 

geeblock Member
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 8:15 AM
posted by iclfan2

It literally says SAGA in the screenshot. Sexuality and gender alliance in the screenshot. Stop acting like this is someone’s chemistry homework and not some group that is completely separate from public school that children no doubt sign up for 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 2:03 PM

Gaetz nominated Trump.

While that would be absolutely awesome, it's pretty pathetic how elected members of Congress troll the other side and the public.

geeblock Member
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 4:39 PM
posted by gut

Gaetz nominated Trump.

While that would be absolutely awesome, it's pretty pathetic how elected members of Congress troll the other side and the public.

True definition of hustling backwards 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 9:16 PM

It's hilarious watching the party of identity politics bend over backwards to dismiss - and actually denigrate - Republicans for promoting one of their black members.

If the Democratic party actually gave a shit about blacks, they'd celebrate this....instead of what it is - deftly afraid of losing election after election if the Repubs start winning over more black voters.

geeblock Member
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 9:18 PM
posted by gut

It's hilarious watching the party of identity politics bend over backwards to dismiss - and actually denigrate - Republicans for promoting one of their black members.

If the Democratic party actually gave a shit about blacks, they'd celebrate this....instead of what it is - deftly afraid of losing election after election if the Repubs start winning over more black voters.

Black people aren’t dumb fyi it’s not going to win black voters. See Hershel walker

Sat, Jan 7, 2023 4:06 PM
posted by geeblock

You said kids were being groomed and that pedophiles were coming for our children. As far as this goes I have no idea where or what this came from. I don’t believe anything I see on LOT just because they say it’s from a middle school. 

Even if it was you would have to keep them coming for me to even raise an eyebrow. There are millions of students and thousands of schools. It’s not hard to cherry pick a similar conservative type lesson that would also be inappropriate, but that doesn’t make it pervasive or anything more than an outlier 

Grooming here doesn’t mean pedophilia. It means grooming into gender ideology. Tons of examples of teachers doing this that you discount bc you don’t know the source “for sure”. Gender anything should not be taught in elementary or middle schools, this includes pronoun nonsense which the NEA has already discussed, a huge teachers union. And to your next comment, no, there shouldn’t be a lgbt club in middle school either. Leave the kids alone. 

gut Senior Member
Sat, Jan 7, 2023 4:16 PM
posted by geeblock

Black people aren’t dumb fyi it’s not going to win black voters. See Hershel walker

They overwhelmingly vote Democrat, in far greater proportion than any other demographics.  I don't think that is reflective of independent thought and analysis of the Party of Lincoln.

Also a reason why Sunday voting ("souls to the polls") is fiercely defended by Democrats.  Because they know how effective group think/pressure can be, especially after a passionate sermon about "what's at stake".

Like I said, the Democrats are FIERCELY protective of the "Republicans are evil white racists", because it's a very effective form of voter suppression.

geeblock Member
Sat, Jan 7, 2023 5:22 PM
posted by gut

They overwhelmingly vote Democrat, in far greater proportion than any other demographics.  I don't think that is reflective of independent thought and analysis of the Party of Lincoln.

Also a reason why Sunday voting ("souls to the polls") is fiercely defended by Democrats.  Because they know how effective group think/pressure can be, especially after a passionate sermon about "what's at stake".

Like I said, the Democrats are FIERCELY protective of the "Republicans are evil white racists", because it's a very effective form of voter suppression.

Again black people are smart enough to make their own decisions just like white people. They aren’t being tricked by anyone 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jan 7, 2023 5:23 PM
posted by iclfan2

Grooming here doesn’t mean pedophilia. It means grooming into gender ideology. Tons of examples of teachers doing this that you discount bc you don’t know the source “for sure”. Gender anything should not be taught in elementary or middle schools, this includes pronoun nonsense which the NEA has already discussed, a huge teachers union. And to your next comment, no, there shouldn’t be a lgbt club in middle school either. Leave the kids alone. 

Again there is zero evidence this was in a middle school 

Sat, Jan 7, 2023 6:29 PM
posted by geeblock

Again there is zero evidence this was in a middle school 

K. Plenty of other examples. Do you agree gender shouldn’t be discussed in k-8?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login