Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 11:41 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I don't care either except I think it is very difficult to keep track of all these new categories that continually come online.  

Yeah, agreed. I usually just go with what they want to be called and go from there. It is just a sign of respect and dignity I have found in my business and professional setting. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 11:55 AM

It's no one's pronouns - it's the English language's pronouns.  If people have a problem with the English language, then maybe they should move to France.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 12:01 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I think you are being a little too broad 

Are you assuming that gut identifies as a broad?
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 12:24 PM

Does not seem to harm anyone.

Correct.  Words do not hurt anyone.

If someone is going to accuse someone of harassment for the high crime of correctly using the English language, that's a problem.

Also, while you're trying to look so woke, saying I sound like an old man is offensive.  Like many people, which is in itself a significant contrast to the subject here, I will never self-identify as "old".

Thu, May 20, 2021 12:40 PM
posted by gut

Correct.  Words do not hurt anyone.

If someone is going to accuse someone of harassment for the high crime of correctly using the English language, that's a problem.

Also, while you're trying to look so woke, saying I sound like an old man is offensive.  Like many people, which is in itself a significant contrast to the subject here, I will never self-identify as "old".

I have not come across that level of hostility with it, as I just try and be respectful of others. As I said, no one seems to care in my industry or professional setting. 

Woke lol. No, you are just sounding like every other previous generation complaining about the younger ones. 

Thu, May 20, 2021 12:41 PM
posted by Al Bundy
Are you assuming that gut identifies as a broad?

LOL. Nope. Good one 

Thu, May 20, 2021 12:41 PM
posted by gut

It's no one's pronouns - it's the English language's pronouns.  If people have a problem with the English language, then maybe they should move to France.

Sounding very get off my lawn right there....

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 12:44 PM

Sounding very get off my lawn right there....

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, May 20, 2021 1:00 PM

I have not come across that level of hostility with it, as I just try and be respectful of others. As I said, no one seems to care in my industry or professional setting. 

Woke lol. No, you are just sounding like every other previous generation complaining about the younger ones. 

Here is where you are completely an idiot.  Woke culture cannot be taken serious because EVERYTHING comes off as hostile except for the WOKE people when they want to label people.  If you cant see that then you need to take a seat in the back of the room

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 20, 2021 2:54 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I doubt the Palestinian civilians being killed by Israeli weapons (which we have largely paid for) agree with your assessment who the terrorists are.  

The Palestinians have repeatedly “voted” in terrorists as their government leaders fully knowing they were terrorists.

If you don’t want attacked, don’t elect terrorists as your government who you KNOW will attack your neighbor country.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Your response shows the exact problem as you see the conflict in Israel=good and Palestine=Hamas=bad. 

You also lump all Palestinian together, when in reality there are Israeli Arabs, Gaza Palestinians, and West Bank Palestinians that all have different points of view. Folks in the West Bank largely dislike Hamas and think the rockets are doing more harm than good, yet have zero power to do anything about it. 

Same goes for Israel as there are numerous factions that have different points of view, and the fact the government is in dissray right now so has a vested interest to try and look tough. 

I didn’t lump anyone together.

Yes, Hamas and the PA are bad, period.  If you don’t believe so then this conversation needs to be over. That’s like saying Isis, AQ, the KKK aren’t bad.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 20, 2021 2:58 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

He doesn't equate them, he says one is less bad than the other. And he is correct.

Exactly what I said and what I meant right there.

The fact that Dr and ptown want to keep defending/equating Hamas with Israel is rather telling and amusing at the lack of historical accuracy.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:02 PM

Nope. Israel is just as guilty of not finding a solution as the Palestinians. That is my point. They are just as guilty on the violence being used, the lack of rights for Arab Israelis, and the expanding settlements as the Palestinians are about their tactics and violence. 

Stop thinking of Israel as this great shining democracy on a hill. It is not. 

Couldn’t be more historically incorrect if you tried.

You are equating expanding settlements with rockets fired at civilians from “hospitals” and “schools” to make it hard to fire back since Hamas is using children and the sick as shields.

Expanding settlements into land, while morally wrong, is not the same as randomly shooting 1000s of rockets at civilians.

Be better ptown.

And you can honestly never use the “moderate” schtick anymore now that we know you believe Israel and Hamas are on equal moral grounds.

Thu, May 20, 2021 3:06 PM
posted by jmog

The Palestinians have repeatedly “voted” in terrorists as their government leaders fully knowing they were terrorists.

If you don’t want attacked, don’t elect terrorists as your government who you KNOW will attack your neighbor country.

Last real election was in 2006. 
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:09 PM
posted by jmog

Couldn’t be more historically incorrect if you tried.

You are equating expanding settlements with rockets fired at civilians from “hospitals” and “schools” to make it hard to fire back since Hamas is using children and the sick as shields.

Expanding settlements into land, while morally wrong, is not the same as randomly shooting 1000s of rockets at civilians.

Be better ptown.

And you can honestly never use the “moderate” schtick anymore now that we know you believe Israel and Hamas are on equal moral grounds.

There lies your problem with this whole thing. 

Hamas does not equal all of Palestinians. 

Hamas is only Gaza and not the West Bank. Nor does not represent any Israeli Arabs. You keep trying to focus on Hamas, but I am talking about the broader problem and the numerous groups. 

As I said at the start, this is not the same Israeli/ Palestine problem of the past. Also, I have not defended Hamas once.  

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:10 PM
Last real election was in 2006. 

I understand, which is part of the reason I put “voted” in quotes.

They repeatedly voted in terrorists and eventually the terrorists decided no more voting. 

Imagine that...

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:13 PM

There lies your problem with this whole thing. 

Hamas does not equal all of Palestinians. 

Hamas is only Gaza and not the West Bank. Nor does not represent any Israeli Arabs. You keep trying to focus on Hamas, but I am talking about the broader problem and the numerous groups. 

As I said at the start, this is not the same Israeli/ Palestine problem of the past. 

Is Hamas the leading party in the Palestinian government?

Simple question, yes or no?

They are running the government and the “state” of Palestine.

Like it or not right now it is comparing Israel to Hamas.

The fact that you are still equating them is morally repugnant.

Thu, May 20, 2021 3:16 PM
posted by jmog

Is Hamas the leading party in the Palestinian government?

Simple question, yes or no?

They are running the government and the “state” of Palestine.

Like it or not right now it is comparing Israel to Hamas.

The fact that you are still equating them is morally repugnant.

No. Hamas is not leading the government. Not in the West Bank. 

Hamas also does not have any jurisdiction over Israeli Arabs, that do not have full rights in Israel. 

Quit giving talking points like it is 2006. The dynamics have shifted. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:17 PM
posted by jmog

It's a matter of perspective. Perhaps if you were a Palestinian, you'd see these entities as your only line of defense. You don't have a huge advanced military provided by the US. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, May 20, 2021 3:22 PM
posted by jmog

Exactly what I said and what I meant right there.

The fact that Dr and ptown want to keep defending/equating Hamas with Israel is rather telling and amusing at the lack of historical accuracy.

I don't defend or equate the two. I'm sick of us funding one side of a multi-centuries conflict and paying for our support heavily in many other ways besides money. Neither side wants the other there, so they will always continue to fight. I want no part of it and am tired of our country putting itself in the middle of it. As such, I'm not going to be "outraged" Everytime the Israelis get attacked anymore than I'm going to support the destruction brought on by the Israelis with their US supplied weapons. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login