Disgusted with the Biden administration

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 11:34 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Still up 35%, after it already sucked out an incremental $3,200 from the average household over the last year. 

And it is taking a recession to get the price to decline ...............wow, how great is that.

Sorry, calling bullshit on that number.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 125 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 11:38 AM

Gas was supposedly $2.39/gallon (national average) when Trump left office despite the $1.87 to $1.83 (depending on what day it is) claims.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 12:02 PM

All we have to do is hope China keeps their crazy-ass lockdown in effect that is greatly reducing their demand on the supply. With them being a country that actually enforces that shit, the longer they keep it going on the poor drones in that place, the better it will be for our prices.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 12:04 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Hey, for all you know, the average household is solely composed of cross country truckers!

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 5:10 PM
posted by geeblock

Gas 2.89 today! Thanks biden!!

(Cue jmog telling me the president has no influence over gas prices) 

Unless you were here complaining about Biden when it was >$4/gal you can’t cheer him when it’s <$3/gal.

I don’t remember you on here blaming Biden for $4….

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 9:11 PM
posted by jmog

Unless you were here complaining about Biden when it was >$4/gal you can’t cheer him when it’s <$3/gal.

I don’t remember you on here blaming Biden for $4….

Maybe he’s not cheering him and only being sarcastic.  Maybe he understands that a president has virtually no effect in current gasoline prices.  

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 10:25 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Maybe he’s not cheering him and only being sarcastic.  Maybe he understands that a president has virtually no effect in current gasoline prices.  

They can’t control, but saying there is no effect or virtually no effect is laughable.

QO is a moron who thinks the POTUS controls gas prices. He’s wrong.

Anyone who says the President has no effect is just as wrong.

The overarching policies around the country that are steered by POTUS and Congress absolutely affect gas prices. A President can be “friendly” to certain industries and “unfriendly”. For instance, they could say “drill everywhere” vs “no new drilling leases” and the first would increase supply, the other would restrict it.

That would affect prices at the pump.

People saying a President’s policies have no or virtually no effect on gas prices are as uninformed as those saying a President controls gas prices.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 11:25 AM
posted by jmog

They can’t control, but saying there is no effect or virtually no effect is laughable.

The overarching policies around the country that are steered by POTUS and Congress absolutely affect gas prices. A President can be “friendly” to certain industries and “unfriendly”. For instance, they could say “drill everywhere” vs “no new drilling leases” and the first would increase supply, the other would restrict it.

People saying a President’s policies have no or virtually no effect on gas prices are as uninformed as those saying a President controls gas prices.

I never said he "controls gas prices".

The policies of any administration create the environment for the industry; they can either be accommodating, neutral, or hostile.  When the policies are hostile, the prices will ultimately rise.  It is not (total) "control" (your word); it does SUBSTANTIALLY affect prices.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 11:27 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/18/households-are-spending-the-equivalent-of-5000-a-year-on-gasoline.html

It is $2,200 (not $3,200)

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 11:27 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/18/households-are-spending-the-equivalent-of-5000-a-year-on-gasoline.html

It is $2,200 incremental (not $3,200)

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 12:16 PM
posted by jmog

I said they have no effect on current prices.  An administration's policies certainly can effect the long-term supply and demand balance.  But to suggest that a president does something that causes prices to go up or come down in the immediate near term is false.  For example, Biden didn't do anything that caused prices to go up to almost $5/gallon this past summer (even though the stickers said he did) and he didn't do anything to make them go down $2 since.  The international oil spot market dictates these swings.

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 1:11 PM

I said they have no effect on current prices.  An administration's policies certainly can effect the long-term supply and demand balance.  But to suggest that a president does something that causes prices to go up or come down in the immediate near term is false.  For example, Biden didn't do anything that caused prices to go up to almost $5/gallon this past summer (even though the stickers said he did) and he didn't do anything to make them go down $2 since.  The international oil spot market dictates these swings.

Current prices are also effected by speculation almost as much as current supply/demand.

If a President made a huge announcement saying something stupid like “I am shutting down all drilling in the US”

That wouldn’t affect supply/demand immediately but the prices would change immediately due to speculation and futures. Because they would try to manipulate the demand in expectation/speculation of future supply problems due to the statement.

You have to understand this right?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 1:35 PM

And effectively putting enemies and foreign despots in charge of our oil supply is right up there with the most idiotic things these jackasses have done.

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:32 PM
posted by jmog

Current prices are also effected by speculation almost as much as current supply/demand.

If a President made a huge announcement saying something stupid like “I am shutting down all drilling in the US”

That wouldn’t affect supply/demand immediately but the prices would change immediately due to speculation and futures. Because they would try to manipulate the demand in expectation/speculation of future supply problems due to the statement.

Yes, I suppose if a president said he was shutting down all drilling, or that he was declaring nuclear war, or some other outlying circumstance, that could affect prices.  But that’s not what’s happening.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:40 PM

Yes, I suppose if a president said he was shutting down all drilling, or that he was declaring nuclear war, or some other outlying circumstance, that could affect prices.  But that’s not what’s happening.

They basically stopped holding auctions and issuing new permits.  That satisfies the far left of the party.  And then they gaslight everyone else claiming "9000 unused permits" is the same as saying there are proven wells just waiting to be drilled.

And then Biden goes and begs the Saudi's to pump more oil.

Reality is it takes a minimum of 2+ years from auction to actually producing oil (up to a decade or more for deep offshore rigs). 

One of many missteps that ultimately will lead to much higher prices in the future.  There isn't some magic knob to turn production on and off.  When prices start rising again in the near future, real relief will be years away because the Biden Admin has crushed development and exploration.

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:41 PM
posted by jmog

Try not assuming you’re smarter than everyone around you - even for a day.  It’ll open your ears a bit.  You will realize there are a lot of intelligent people out there - some in the most unexpected places.  Might even make you some friends.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:51 PM
posted by jmog

I'm not sure how accurate that is with oil.  It's unique in at least two respects:

Production is very inelastic - you don't just flip a switch for "surge" demand.  Arbitrage is limited by the fact there's not a lot of storage capacity (the system is mainly designed to operate efficiently at a relatively constant supply). This is why the price was briefly negative during the pandemic - there was nowhere to store it and sell at a later date when the prices normalized.  Speculators were tripping all over themselves to take advantage, even trying to buy tanker trucks.  The fact the price still went negative tells you the speculators are completely dominated by market factors.

OPEC effectively lost its ability to control price decades ago when places like US, Russia and some South American countries became major players.  So, yeah, there's plenty of speculation but it's very hard to move prices from basic supply/demand fundamentals.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:52 PM

Afghan refugees may not be granted citizenship!

Waiting for QO to tell me what I'm outraged about and who I should be outraged at....

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:59 PM
posted by 

Waiting for QO to tell me what I'm outraged about and who I should be outraged at....

What: NIL tampering

Who: Megan Markle

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 4:52 PM
posted by gut

Afghan refugees may not be granted citizenship!

Not sure what you're talking about, but have a great weekend.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login