Cleveland Browns 2022 Season Thread

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 9:48 AM

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 10:41 AM

Fire the entire defensive coaching staff. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 11:04 AM
posted by iclfan2

So a deeply weakened Bengals team became a greater challenge for the Browns.  

Good Lord, it's like listening to biden's press secretary.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Dec 15, 2022 11:42 AM
posted by iclfan2

Inexcusable. If they dump Stefanski I'd want Demeco Ryans as their next head coach although there are still Jim Harbaugh rumors out there.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 8:07 AM

So how long before Myles Garrett asks to be traded?

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 10:36 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Inexcusable. If they dump Stefanski I'd want Demeco Ryans as their next head coach although there are still Jim Harbaugh rumors out there.

Unless things change drastically in the next month, I don't know how they can justify bringing stefanski back. Unless I am forgetting a game, they only looked good twice this year (Steelers and first Bengals game). He is terrible with adjustments, the team looks unprepared most weeks, they have quit several times, the defense is terrible and no one is held accountable, and he has no clue how to use a great backfield.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 1:22 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Unless things change drastically in the next month, I don't know how they can justify bringing stefanski back. Unless I am forgetting a game, they only looked good twice this year (Steelers and first Bengals game). He is terrible with adjustments, the team looks unprepared most weeks, they have quit several times, the defense is terrible and no one is held accountable, and he has no clue how to use a great backfield.

JFC, I listened to the press conference of that Jeff Howard and these guys don't have a clue. When Boyd & Higgins went down in that Cincy game his response was basically saying" we didn't double Chase because we were afraid of Mixon beating us."

How FUGGING STUPID. What are the odds Mixon's going to break off a 60-70 yard run versus Burrow/Chase doing it in one play? I'm taking my chances that a recently concussed RB isn't going to beat you. 

In fact, I would've given Ward constant safety help on Chase, single covered that other Joe Dirt looking WR they have and DARED Mixon to beat them.

IDIOTS!

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:44 PM
posted by BR1986FB

His "play card in front of his face" comment you mentioned probably played into him missing that Watson got that 1st down on the run right before the botched 4th down pass by Brissett. He should've challenged that because it was an obvious 1st down/poor spot.

I wouldn’t be surprised.  The guy coaches a game like a panicky father desperately trying to understand the assembly instructions for the Barbie Dreamhouse at 11:30 on Christmas Eve night.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 2:57 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I wouldn’t be surprised.  The guy coaches a game like a panicky father desperately trying to understand the assembly instructions for the Barbie Dreamhouse at 11:30 on Christmas Eve night.

Their mindset is "we're going to do it OUR (analytics) way and if it doesn't work, oh well" versus the mind of a Belichick who adjusts and wins at all costs.

I was dumbfounded when they interviewed Alex Van Pelt yesterday and asked him about that 4th & 1 decision to swap out Watson for Brissett and Van Pelt said "the whole coaching staff was in 100% agreement that was the right call." 

My response, if I was Haslam, would be "good, you're all fired." Unfortunately, I think that Depodesta, who I think is the root of the problem, has some kind of voodoo brainwashing over old Jimmah.

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 3:04 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Their mindset is "we're going to do it OUR (analytics) way and if it doesn't work, oh well" versus the mind of a Belichick who adjusts and wins at all costs.

I was dumbfounded when they interviewed Alex Van Pelt yesterday and asked him about that 4th & 1 decision to swap out Watson for Brissett and Van Pelt said "the whole coaching staff was in 100% agreement that was the right call." 

My response, if I was Haslam, would be "good, you're all fired." Unfortunately, I think that Depodesta, who I think is the root of the problem, has some kind of voodoo brainwashing over old Jimmah.

Herein lies the problem with the Moneyball approach: it eliminates the ability to not only take advantage of momentum and present passion, it can decrease game morale over the term of the game.  None of this is reflected in the data.  

Eventually common sense gets subjugated to “what tge play sheet says”.  If following the commands on tge lamenated sheet is all coaching’s become, there are about a zillion others who could do it just as well for a lot less money.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 3:38 PM

My problem has never been his decisions on FG, going for it, punting, etc. I have certainly disagreed with some, but not because they didnt work out. I get mad when he doesnt call a rationale play to actually make it work. Going for it on 4th and 1 should ALWAYS be about extending the drive, and a kill shot is a bonus. You dont throw it 40 yards downfield. Fucking idiotic. Just advance the downs, keep momentum, get points. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 4:07 PM

Herein lies the problem with the Moneyball approach: it eliminates the ability to not only take advantage of momentum and present passion, it can decrease game morale over the term of the game.  None of this is reflected in the data.  

Eventually common sense gets subjugated to “what tge play sheet says”.  If following the commands on tge lamenated sheet is all coaching’s become, there are about a zillion others who could do it just as well for a lot less money.

A poster posted (OBR) the PFF rating of the last 3 Berry drafts and other than Emerson (#34) the rest were pretty much rated as JAG's. JOK, I believe, was at #50 for his position. Their analytics isn't working. Sometimes you just have to use the old eye test.

Fri, Dec 16, 2022 4:41 PM
posted by BR1986FB

A poster posted (OBR) the PFF rating of the last 3 Berry drafts and other than Emerson (#34) the rest were pretty much rated as JAG's. JOK, I believe, was at #50 for his position. Their analytics isn't working. Sometimes you just have to use the old eye test.

Agreed.  Like everything in life, it’s at the extremes where things fall apart.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 4:49 PM
posted by Laley23

My problem has never been his decisions on FG, going for it, punting, etc. I have certainly disagreed with some, but not because they didnt work out. I get mad when he doesnt call a rationale play to actually make it work. Going for it on 4th and 1 should ALWAYS be about extending the drive, and a kill shot is a bonus. You dont throw it 40 yards downfield. Fucking idiotic. Just advance the downs, keep momentum, get points. 

Yep ...  3 yard curl-in to Brian Brennan ----   worked  every,  single,  time.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 16, 2022 5:38 PM

Agreed.  Like everything in life, it’s at the extremes where things fall apart.

And I don't have issues with some of the analytics, like going for it on 4th and < 3 yards but, like Laley said, just advance it. 

No need to run a double secret probation. triple tight end statue of liberty. with the long snapper, for 30+ yards when you only need ONE yard. 

Overused term but this front office has "smartest guy in the room" syndrome and it's going to be their Waterloo.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 17, 2022 7:17 PM

What a shit show

Sat, Dec 17, 2022 8:39 PM

They won, and I’ll take it. Great looking defense and Watson continues to settle in.  Lamenated Playcard Boy is going to do his thing, so we’ll hopefully supplement with some on field thinking.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 17, 2022 9:47 PM

Watson had back to back great drives on either side of halftime. He’s starting to regain form. Last part will be the redzone when the field shrinks, which is to be expected. But I’m pleased with how he’s looked this fast. Expected a much slower turnaround.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 17, 2022 9:51 PM

Playoff teams don’t want the Browns to sneak in

BR1986FB Senior Member
Sun, Dec 18, 2022 12:17 AM
posted by Laley23

Watson had back to back great drives on either side of halftime. He’s starting to regain form. Last part will be the redzone when the field shrinks, which is to be expected. But I’m pleased with how he’s looked this fast. Expected a much slower turnaround.

Would like to see a few deep balls though. He's looking much better. Would also like to see more RPO stuff closer to the goal line to give him the option to run. There were a couple of times I thought he should run and he ended up trying to dump it off awkwardly at the last second and missed. If they can get him one more receiving weapon he should be golden.

Defense was very opportunistic. Been a while since a team (Ravens) rushed for almost 200 yards and didn't score a TD.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login