Fri, Mar 31, 2023 6:11 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Anyone going to Augusta next week?

It’s so good on tv…not sure I’ll ever go there live

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 31, 2023 9:02 PM
posted by Ironman92

If you can, do it. It’s wild in person. And the scope of TV isn’t even close to what you see in person.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 31, 2023 9:08 PM
posted by Laley23

If you can, do it. It’s wild in person. And the scope of TV isn’t even close to what you see in person.

We’ll see. It’s obviously immaculate. I’d say simply walking the course would be unbelievable. It’s a grand sporting event….obviously would be grand live.

I think it’s tremendous on tv. Life experiences are picking up and will be retired in 8 years. I won’t count it out but I’m very happy simply watching for now.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Apr 1, 2023 8:46 AM
posted by Ironman92

My suggestion is to go for a practice round.  You can get a relatively inexpensive pass, you get to walk the entire course, the crowds aren’t quite as thick, there is some banter with the players and you’re allowed to take pictures (or at least they don’t prevent it).  I agree that watching the actual tournament in tv is ideal, but this way you get to experience seeing this place that is so familiar from decades of television in a different light.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Apr 1, 2023 10:14 AM

I’ve lost the lottery every year, for as long as I can remember. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Apr 1, 2023 10:35 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

My suggestion is to go for a practice round.  You can get a relatively inexpensive pass, you get to walk the entire course, the crowds aren’t quite as thick, there is some banter with the players and you’re allowed to take pictures (or at least they don’t prevent it).  I agree that watching the actual tournament in tv is ideal, but this way you get to experience seeing this place that is so familiar from decades of television in a different light.

Oh I love the practice rounds…laid back and players stop and talk with you if you are in a good location. Talked to many pros on the 17 tee at Muirfield….including John Daly in 1991, months before he shocked the golf world 

Fred Garvin Senior Member
302 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 9:41 AM
posted by iclfan2

I’ve lost the lottery every year, for as long as I can remember. 

Me too. Every damn year. "A tradition unlike any other", I guess.

Mon, Apr 3, 2023 10:16 AM

I got the Saturday of 2019. Took my dad, who had been losing for years. Tiger had an afternoon tee time, so we walked the entire course early. Got pictures and the giftshop. 

Plan was then to pick spots (we left our chairs right by 15 green/water), a few holes ahead of Tiger and get to see him come thru 2-3 times but watch a lot of the other players as well. Watching Tiger make birdie on 6 and we headed to Amen Corner. The roars as he made birdie/birdie/birdie. We both decided we had to follow him the rest of the way, because you just felt the run towards the championship coming. Watched him make par on 10-11-12 from Amen Corner. Watcher the tee shot/approach to 13. Decided to skip 14 so headed to our seats. Watched a few guys plug it right into the water. Tiger comes in and of course birdies. Then we watched him tee off on 16 and the putt for another birdie. Scooted from there down the fairway and his tee shot ended up about 30 yards from us, so great spot for the approach. Just an amazing day. Ive been to basically the biggest sporting events in the world. Nothing compares to that trip/day.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 1:07 PM
posted by Laley23

I got the Saturday of 2019. Took my dad, who had been losing for years. Tiger had an afternoon tee time, so we walked the entire course early. Got pictures and the giftshop. 

Plan was then to pick spots (we left our chairs right by 15 green/water), a few holes ahead of Tiger and get to see him come thru 2-3 times but watch a lot of the other players as well. Watching Tiger make birdie on 6 and we headed to Amen Corner. The roars as he made birdie/birdie/birdie. We both decided we had to follow him the rest of the way, because you just felt the run towards the championship coming. Watched him make par on 10-11-12 from Amen Corner. Watcher the tee shot/approach to 13. Decided to skip 14 so headed to our seats. Watched a few guys plug it right into the water. Tiger comes in and of course birdies. Then we watched him tee off on 16 and the putt for another birdie. Scooted from there down the fairway and his tee shot ended up about 30 yards from us, so great spot for the approach. Just an amazing day. Ive been to basically the biggest sporting events in the world. Nothing compares to that trip/day.

Meh…..I watched it on tv

Mon, Apr 3, 2023 1:33 PM
posted by Ironman92

Meh…..I watched it on tv

As a golf fan, and someone who loves to attend these things, I cannot fathom how you of all people (maybe ay person) doesn't want to attend lol. I know people who don't even enjoy golf and they want to go. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 1:39 PM

I would do horrible, awful things for Masters tickets.

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 1:55 PM

One day I'll get selected.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 3:57 PM
posted by Laley23

As a golf fan, and someone who loves to attend these things, I cannot fathom how you of all people (maybe ay person) doesn't want to attend lol. I know people who don't even enjoy golf and they want to go. 

Completely joking man

I’ve only ventured to the Memorial (I think 7x)…practice round and then either Thurs or Sat

I was on #1 the first year Tiger played there….him leaving the practice green and making his way to the 1st tee looked like Moses parting the waters except it was Tiger and Fluff and what looked like 10,000 people. I was perfectly situated with best view on the ropes…I stood my ground but there were Asian women on their stomachs on the ground between my legs trying to get pictures of Tiger lol. Back in the late 90s during a practice round we got there early and walked the course in reverse and when we got to #10 the foursome that just tee’d off walked right past us…..Jack, Arnold, Trevino and Player. I just stood there in basic shock.

I of course would love everything about your post and I’ve been watching PGA and the Masters since early-mid 80’s

Mon, Apr 3, 2023 4:03 PM

Ha, you had me going for sure

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 4:09 PM

I would love to go someday.  People I know that have attended say that no matter how beautiful it looks on tv, it is even more pristine in person; and the course is substantially more hilly than it looks on tv. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Apr 3, 2023 5:04 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I would love to go someday.  People I know that have attended say that no matter how beautiful it looks on tv, it is even more pristine in person; and the course is substantially more hilly than it looks on tv. 

I agree on all counts.  What I loved about attending (went to a practice round in 2010) was seeing the little things.  Of course the beautiful scenes you’re used to on tv are better in person.  And the change in elevation is much greater than I over imagined.  But I also loved the subtle things like the obscure but immaculate flower beds, the politeness of the staff, the cleanliness of the restrooms, the look of the clubhouse, the contrast between Washington Road (which resembles Morse Road in Columbus) to the club grounds, the look of the practice tee…on and on.  

Mon, Apr 3, 2023 9:05 PM

My favorite part was legit being checked out. The no phones allowed was so awesome. Watching the giant leaderboards change. The roars — goddamn the roars are a real thing. Then you all turn the head to the scoreboard to see who it was for. All of the fans murmuring about someone making a charge, but no one REALLY knew what was happening. All of it. Amazing.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Apr 4, 2023 10:24 AM

Well who are your favorites this week?  It looks like the weather is not going to be too friendly.  

I may opt for McIlroy and/or Morikawa from tier 1; Im and/or Conners from tier 2; Matsuyama and/or Rose tier 3; Scott or Hoge tier 4; Kirk or Willett in 5; and Poston or Svensson in 6. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Apr 5, 2023 10:38 AM

In the pool, went McIlroy, Conners, Rose, Scott, Willett and Poston.

Threw a few win bets out:

Poston +28,000

Rose +5,500

Morikawa +2,800

Speith +1,700

McIlroy +700

Round 1 three-ball winners:

Morikawa

Rose

Willett

Poston

Scott