Mon, Sep 5, 2022 4:18 PM

Jets over Bears in the Super Bowl. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 4:21 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 5:58 PM

My improved teams will be Detroit, NYJ's (although they could start 0-10 with that opening schedule) and Jags.

Division winners:

AFCE- Bills

AFCN- Rats

AFCS- Colts

AFCW- Chiefs

NFCE- Eagles

NFCN- Packers

NFCS- Buccaneers

NFCW- Tough one but I'm going Niners

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 6:18 PM

AFC North

Smart Bengals fans: High hopes and excited but know it’s not as easy as it may seem.

Loud Bengals fans: we fixed all of our weaknesses and have the best QB in football.

Me: they’ll come out like gang busters and throttle the Steelers and it’ll be noisy on Twitter…but they have most of the parts and Burrow is excellent. Being on top is tough. I still see a 12-5 Division title.

Smart Browns fans: like what they have but are unsure of the QB and not ever feeling on the good side of the football gods.

Loud  Browns fans….still just want to think of ways to bash Roethlisberger  

Me: I’m right with the smart Browns fans. Chubb is a stud, but will he be appropriately utilized? Garrett a DPOY candidate and this team a lot of very good parts. I think the toughest schedule from my quick glance but still am feeling an 11-6 season.

Smart Ravens fans: both of them trust their organization but don’t feel Lamar is the leader of a SB champion.

Loud Ravens fans: think Lamar is a top 3-5 QB and see a division championship.

Me: I don’t see a great team. I see a team that could be 6-11 but the organization and coaching staff have earned enough credit and their bad years are at .500. They find ways…I see 10-7 and sneaking in the playoffs.

Smart Steelers fans: hoping Mitch can limit turnovers and make a few plays and defensive studs stay healthy and find a way to compete for a wildcard….but knowing it won’t take much to be 6-11 or 7-10

Loud Steelers fans: Kenny Pickett is the next Joe Montana and needs to be in there Day 1 and won’t have any tolerance for any Trubisky errors. They’ll yell until they get him in there.

Me: Last year Steelers receivers were at the bottom in separation and Steelers had trouble running….I can’t see much different here. Tomlin never ever has them ready to score a TD on the first possession of game or after half when getting ball. Looking at the schedule it feels like 6-11 and like the Ravens the organization has really thrives in keeping down years around .500, but I’m going with 7-10.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 7:40 PM

Teams I just need to see it to believe it:

Dolphins 

Broncos

Especially the Dolphins 

Eagles

Teams I think might bite predictors in the butt:

Raiders (my every year pick)

Patriots (last year of this pass….unless they get it done then Belichick gets a 3 year renewal)

Start strong but sucks and will prove it: Panthers or Falcons

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 8:08 PM
posted by Ironman92

AFC North

Smart Bengals fans: High hopes and excited but know it’s not as easy as it may seem.

Loud Bengals fans: we fixed all of our weaknesses and have the best QB in football.

Me: they’ll come out like gang busters and throttle the Steelers and it’ll be noisy on Twitter…but they have most of the parts and Burrow is excellent. Being on top is tough. I still see a 12-5 Division title.

Smart Browns fans: like what they have but are unsure of the QB and not ever feeling on the good side of the football gods.

Loud  Browns fans….still just want to think of ways to bash Roethlisberger  

Me: I’m right with the smart Browns fans. Chubb is a stud, but will he be appropriately utilized? Garrett a DPOY candidate and this team a lot of very good parts. I think the toughest schedule from my quick glance but still am feeling an 11-6 season.

Smart Ravens fans: both of them trust their organization but don’t feel Lamar is the leader of a SB champion.

Loud Ravens fans: think Lamar is a top 3-5 QB and see a division championship.

Me: I don’t see a great team. I see a team that could be 6-11 but the organization and coaching staff have earned enough credit and their bad years are at .500. They find ways…I see 10-7 and sneaking in the playoffs.

Smart Steelers fans: hoping Mitch can limit turnovers and make a few plays and defensive studs stay healthy and find a way to compete for a wildcard….but knowing it won’t take much to be 6-11 or 7-10

Loud Steelers fans: Kenny Pickett is the next Joe Montana and needs to be in there Day 1 and won’t have any tolerance for any Trubisky errors. They’ll yell until they get him in there.

Me: Last year Steelers receivers were at the bottom in separation and Steelers had trouble running….I can’t see much different here. Tomlin never ever has them ready to score a TD on the first possession of game or after half when getting ball. Looking at the schedule it feels like 6-11 and like the Ravens the organization has really thrives in keeping down years around .500, but I’m going with 7-10.

Bengals: I don't believe they really "fixed" that O-Line, other than left tackle. I believe they were a very "fortunate...i.e. lucky) team last year and were very blessed to have a stud kicker. Teams will gun for them even though they still seem to be under the radar. Already noticed old Mikey Boy sold out to some corporate company to change the name from Paul Brown Stadium so they have enough money in escrow come pay day for Burrow & Chase. He'll be opening up a lemonade stand next. 9-8

Ravens: I see a bounce back year because I think they were the most injured team, especially at RB, last year. Lamar is still a RB who occasionally throws. Better hope his TE is open down the middle because he can't hit anyone on a sideline pattern (still good enough to beat the Bengals). X Factor is bringing in a new DC and getting rid of Wink Martindale. Defense could step back. 10-7

Browns: I have no faith in Brissett getting them in position for when Watson returns (IF he does). When Watson returns, he'll be rusty. This team has no margin for error. They need to play ridiculous defense (early on) and HOPE they can run the ball when EVERYONE knows it's coming. Can't stand these idiots who want Chubb on a pitch count/load management. Dude is in his PRIME. RB's hit the wall at a younger age. POUND the HELL out of him with 25 carries/game. Before his contract ends and he does it for someone else. 8-9 again, in fact, I full expect Mayfield to have a victory crotch grab celebration in week 1.

Steelers: Defense will always be their calling card, in my eyes. But will they be able to hold teams under 13 points because I don't see the offense consistently scoring much more than that? Trubisky is a question mark. He's had a winning record his career and if Parkey (I believe) doesn't double doink that FG in the playoffs he may have gotten them to a SB. Yinzer fans screaming for Pickett are dolts. Dude was playing against defenders that are now selling used cars or working at Walmart and I think his average pass attempt was like 5 yards compared to Trubisky's 10+. Tomlin's first losing season 7-10

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 8:12 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Bengals: I don't believe they really "fixed" that O-Line, other than left tackle. I believe they were a very "fortunate...i.e. lucky) team last year and were very blessed to have a stud kicker. Teams will gun for them even though they still seem to be under the radar. Already noticed old Mikey Boy sold out to some corporate company to change the name from Paul Brown Stadium so they have enough money in escrow come pay day for Burrow & Chase. He'll be opening up a lemonade stand next. 9-8

Ravens: I see a bounce back year because I think they were the most injured team, especially at RB, last year. Lamar is still a RB who occasionally throws. Better hope his TE is open down the middle because he can't hit anyone on a sideline pattern (still good enough to beat the Bengals). X Factor is bringing in a new DC and getting rid of Wink Martindale. Defense could step back. 10-7

Browns: I have no faith in Brissett getting them in position for when Watson returns (IF he does). When Watson returns, he'll be rusty. This team has no margin for error. They need to play ridiculous defense (early on) and HOPE they can run the ball when EVERYONE knows it's coming. Can't stand these idiots who want Chubb on a pitch count/load management. Dude is in his PRIME. RB's hit the wall at a younger age. POUND the HELL out of him with 25 carries/game. Before his contract ends and he does it for someone else. 8-9 again, in fact, I full expect Mayfield to have a victory crotch grab celebration in week 1.

Steelers: Defense will always be their calling card, in my eyes. But will they be able to hold teams under 13 points because I don't see the offense consistently scoring much more than that. Trubisky is a question mark. He's had a winning record his career and if Parkey (I believe) doesn't double doink that FG in the playoffs he may have gotten them to a SB. Yinzer fans screaming for Pickett are dolts. Dude was playing against defenders that are now selling used cars or working at Walmart and I think his average pass attempt was like 5 yards compared to Trubisky's 10+. Tomlin's first losing season 7-10

So we are same on the non-Ohio teams…I think they’ll be 1st and 2nd and you think 2nd and 3rd

Not far off on our thoughts 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 8:22 PM
posted by Ironman92

So we are same on the non-Ohio teams…I think they’ll be 1st and 2nd and you think 2nd and 3rd

Not far off on our thoughts 

Right. 

Color me jaded but until the Brown prove it, they haven't proven anything. When/if Watson returns it will likely be the first time since 1999 that I'm not grinding my teeth every time a QB drops back to pass, EXPECTING an INT or fumble. I think they have very close to a SB caliber roster but I expect this year to be a waste of Chubb/Garrett/Ward/Teller/Newsome/ Watson's prime/window.

With how cheap Mike Brown seems, the Bengals do hit on a lot of their draft picks. He just can't keep a lot of these players because the guy isn't worth shit financially. Read a very interesting article on this and how they're going to have to be very creative in trying to keep both Burrow/Chase. How shitty would that be if he got to the end of his contract and the Bengals had to say "love ya, but bye, can't afford you?" They still have a strong nucleus. I just think teams will be ready and that O-Line, especially the new additions on the interior, won't be what they'd hoped for.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 8:44 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Right. 

Color me jaded but until the Brown prove it, they haven't proven anything. When/if Watson returns it will likely be the first time since 1999 that I'm not grinding my teeth every time a QB drops back to pass, EXPECTING an INT or fumble. I think they have very close to a SB caliber roster but I expect this year to be a waste of Chubb/Garrett/Ward/Teller/Newsome/ Watson's prime/window.

With how cheap Mike Brown seems, the Bengals do hit on a lot of their draft picks. He just can't keep a lot of these players because the guy isn't worth shit financially. Read a very interesting article on this and how they're going to have to be very creative in trying to keep both Burrow/Chase. How shitty would that be if he got to the end of his contract and the Bengals had to say "love ya, but bye, can't afford you?" They still have a strong nucleus. I just think teams will be ready and that O-Line, especially the new additions on the interior, won't be what they'd hoped for.

As for Pickett throwing everything 5 yards….that’s all Ben did his last few years being quick and smart but also afraid to take a hit. I still say QB won’t matter much because damn receivers can’t clear any separation.

Good point with Watson and interceptions….but may not be a positive factor this year.

Be interesting how it goes with Joe come contract time….he definitely screams big city lights…we’ll see how much of an Ohio boy he wants to be. I’d give him the $ and tell Chase good luck and thank you.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 9:47 PM

I’m sick of hearing about Baltimore. Hope they finish last in the division. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 5, 2022 11:06 PM

Cheapest nosebleed tickets right now for Bengals game are $250

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 4:45 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

They, and their "fans", can rot in Hell.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 9:20 AM
posted by Ironman92

As for Pickett throwing everything 5 yards….that’s all Ben did his last few years being quick and smart but also afraid to take a hit. I still say QB won’t matter much because damn receivers can’t clear any separation.

They couldn't pass protect for shit.  And their OC sucks.  So I don't their offense improving this year, although Pickens is a big upgrade over what they had last year after losing JuJu.

I'll be surprised if Trubisky isn't knocked out by mid-year.  Pickett did all he could in preseason.  I did think his accuracy was excellent, and that's the #1 thing.  He has the arm strength, but might take some time to adjust to NFL defenses.  I'm skeptical - think his ceiling might be Baker Mayfield.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 9:26 AM
posted by gut

They couldn't pass protect for shit.  And their OC sucks.  So I don't their offense improving this year, although Pickens is a big upgrade over what they had last year after losing JuJu.

I'll be surprised if Trubisky isn't knocked out by mid-year.  Pickett did all he could in preseason.  I did think his accuracy was excellent, and that's the #1 thing.  He has the arm strength, but might take some time to adjust to NFL defenses.  I'm skeptical - think his ceiling might be Baker Mayfield.

Yes…Oline has sucked since they lost their coach a few years ago

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 10:25 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Hopefully the Jets can squeak out a win this weekend. Hard to come back from a loss to the Jets in week 1.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 10:42 AM
posted by Ironman92

Yes…Oline has sucked since they lost their coach a few years ago

I'm kind of rooting for PIT to suck so Tomlin finally gets canned.  He's ushered in a new "standard" of simply having a non-losing season.

Something like 3 playoff wins in 12 years.  Tomlin really needs to go.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 11:16 AM

Who would be the ideal replacement?

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 9:25 PM

Was kind of shocked to see (today) that Pittsburgh hadn't retired Franco Harris' number.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 9:33 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Was kind of shocked to see (today) that Pittsburgh hadn't retired Franco Harris' number.

Yeah I just assumed it was already retired 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 11:26 PM
posted by Automatik

Who would be the ideal replacement?

Anyone.  No one had heard of Cowher or Tomlin, or I don't think Noll, for that matter.

But they already have Brian Flores on staff.  Could be some issues there, or maybe it was just an idiot owner in Miami.  Either way, I think he was doing good things there.

Also interested in Leftwich and Bienemy.  It's an offensive league now, and I think you need an offensive-minded coach.  Tomlin has become a bad combination of conservative, fly-the-gut and predictable.  I don't know if he was ever really a good coach, TBH - all of his success was early, with Cowher's coaches and players.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login