2021 NFL Season thread

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 4:17 PM

IMO, a big part of shitty reffing comes from the leagues deciding that new rules need to be focused on or that an existing one needs to be brought back to the forefront. You have a million things to look for on any given play — where there's fast action and a split second to determine what did or didn't happen — and then get new stuff on top of that that you have to pay extra attention to because that's what is getting someone above your pay grade all fired up.

A few years ago, it was head shots/targeting. A good thing to look for, but the rule was made so inflexible and wasn't equipped to consider factors like intent or an offensive player moving their head into the defender's path after he'd already committed to it. And if QBs are involved, it's even worse and anything that might kind of vaguely look like it possibly could have been considered improper contact is an auto-flag. End result: A detraction from the game because so many of those calls wind up feeling over-the-top in penalty in comparison to the actual hit. Worse in college where a guy can wind up missing four quarters of play over them.

And now, it's taunting for virtually no reason other than, I guess, fucking boomers thinking players showing emotion and having fun is a horrible example to set. It shouldn't take much thought to determine actual "IN YOUR FACE LITTLE BITCH!!!!!" stuff that's over the line, but for whatever stupid reason, it's been expanded so much that any display of in-the-moment emotion runs the risk of hurting a team. Guy on Iowa State gets dinged for, uh, slowing down on a TD catch, high-stepping a bit and looking behind him. Dude on Chicago got dinged for a sack celebration that involved taking steps towards the other team's sideline.

Only a total fucking pussy thinks shit like that's worth 15 yards, but the higher-ups in the league seem to fit into that category. Giving refs one more thing to not just look for, but focus their attention upon, for no legit reason other than vague-ass "protect the shield" optics. And because they're focusing on that shit, other stuff that is legit gets constantly overlooked. making the entire product worse.

Gotten to the point where I just take it for granted that there will be fuck-ups and there is a legit chance those fuck-ups will legit impact the outcome of a game, so all I can do is hope my team benefits from shitty reffing, as opposed to the alternate option.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 4:38 PM

The thing I hate about taunting is when they jaw each and every play, yet its not called. How is that different than looking at a bench from a hashmark?

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 4:44 PM
posted by Heretic

IMO, a big part of shitty reffing comes from the leagues deciding that new rules need to be focused on or that an existing one needs to be brought back to the forefront. You have a million things to look for on any given play — where there's fast action and a split second to determine what did or didn't happen — and then get new stuff on top of that that you have to pay extra attention to because that's what is getting someone above your pay grade all fired up.

A few years ago, it was head shots/targeting. A good thing to look for, but the rule was made so inflexible and wasn't equipped to consider factors like intent or an offensive player moving their head into the defender's path after he'd already committed to it. And if QBs are involved, it's even worse and anything that might kind of vaguely look like it possibly could have been considered improper contact is an auto-flag. End result: A detraction from the game because so many of those calls wind up feeling over-the-top in penalty in comparison to the actual hit. Worse in college where a guy can wind up missing four quarters of play over them.

And now, it's taunting for virtually no reason other than, I guess, fucking boomers thinking players showing emotion and having fun is a horrible example to set. It shouldn't take much thought to determine actual "IN YOUR FACE LITTLE BITCH!!!!!" stuff that's over the line, but for whatever stupid reason, it's been expanded so much that any display of in-the-moment emotion runs the risk of hurting a team. Guy on Iowa State gets dinged for, uh, slowing down on a TD catch, high-stepping a bit and looking behind him. Dude on Chicago got dinged for a sack celebration that involved taking steps towards the other team's sideline.

Only a total fucking pussy thinks shit like that's worth 15 yards, but the higher-ups in the league seem to fit into that category. Giving refs one more thing to not just look for, but focus their attention upon, for no legit reason other than vague-ass "protect the shield" optics. And because they're focusing on that shit, other stuff that is legit gets constantly overlooked. making the entire product worse.

Gotten to the point where I just take it for granted that there will be fuck-ups and there is a legit chance those fuck-ups will legit impact the outcome of a game, so all I can do is hope my team benefits from shitty reffing, as opposed to the alternate option.

Otrap came back.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 7:46 PM

Taunting, to me, should be pretty obvious, like laying a brutal hit on someone then standing over them talking shit. Last year OBJ got flagged for giving the Little Rascals "hi sign" which he did in the previous 3 weeks but the 4th week in was a no no....also guys dropping the ball forward or giving a 1st down sign aren't taunting.

Little Rascals wave on Make a GIF

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 7:57 PM

I’ll say it. No taunting is racist!

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 8:17 PM
posted by justincredible

Otrap came back.

You know, setting the site up without a multi-quote feature is probably why he hasn't posted recently! He could knock out like 10 posts in one response.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 1:20 PM

Cam Newton back in Carolina

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 1:57 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 4:49 PM

O'Smell Beckham to the Rams

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 9:14 PM

Prime time game in Miami…..I’ll take the under. Always 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 9:17 PM
posted by Ironman92

Prime time game in Miami…..I’ll take the under. Always 

Spoiler alert....BAL steals another victory from the jaws of defeat

But, man, the AFCN would be getting a lot of fun if BAL lost this week and CLE and PIT win.

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 9:29 PM

Awful initial spot against Miami. Jesus

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 9:45 PM

Refs suck but I do like them getting corrected in the booth or wherever without replay or a challenge.

You sucked, you missed it…..here’s the correct call

gut Senior Member
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:36 PM

I thought that was a drop all the way....this TV crew always sucks ass

Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:49 PM
posted by gut

Where did it hit the ground?

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:49 PM
posted by gut

Buck doesn’t seem to be liked by anyone…..Aikman oddly irritates me

Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:50 PM

Anyway, Baltimore will somehow luck their way to 7-2.

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:51 PM

That was fucking awesome….albeit illegal

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 10:57 PM

Ravens winning 10-9 seems easy

gut Senior Member
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 11:01 PM

One heck of a runback.

"I don't think it was a catch".  Aikman going 0-2 tonight....which is typical, and why he sucks.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login