2020 Browns

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:17 AM
posted by Laley23

Next will be the two teams Dorsey built and got run out of time before seeing it happen. The man can build an NFL roster as good as anyone.

Baker turning his hat backwards before the media portion was probably my favorite little jab that anyone did

I seriously wouldn't sleep on the Browns going into KC. Granted the defense is a sieve but they can score with anyone. I thought before that game last night they were going to hang 40 on Pittsburgh after doing it to Baltimore. 

Juju just can't shut his hole and it motivated them. Even Chubb said so after the game.

KC's fans think this will be a laugher. I just hope someone from the Chiefs opens their mouth and gives them some bulletin board material.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:27 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I'm surprised that it wasn't brought up here during the game but WTF was Tomlin thinking when he punted on that 4th & 1? 

It was definitely a wtf moment for me.  

Feeling a little “fuzzy” today, but happy!

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:59 AM
posted by BR1986FB
I'm surprised that it wasn't brought up here during the game but WTF was Tomlin thinking when he punted on that 4th & 1? I know the ball was barely on Pittsburgh's side of the field but the Browns had shown no signs of stopping them. Besides the first play of the game defensive TD to set the tone, I think that may have been one of the biggest (non) plays of the game.

That's what I was wondering. The horrible start might have been near impossible (or all the way there) to logically come back from, but they were putting themselves in a position to at least make it look like a possibility before doing that. Seems that was a trend this weekend -- coaches going conservative at bad times and getting burnt by doing so. Just seemed like a weak move, regardless of how blah the running game is and how much they've struggled this year with getting one yard. Seems that was the point in time where you have to say "fuck it" and go for it. You don't get it, odds are you're not winning; but by not going for it, you're essentially handing over the momentum and it'll be back to being an uphill climb to try to stay alive.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 12:08 PM
posted by BR1986FB
I'm surprised that it wasn't brought up here during the game but WTF was Tomlin thinking when he punted on that 4th & 1? I know the ball was barely on Pittsburgh's side of the field but the Browns had shown no signs of stopping them. Besides the first play of the game defensive TD to set the tone, I think that may have been one of the biggest (non) plays of the game.

It wasn’t real meant to be from my perspective. Snap gift 7 points in first 15 seconds. Steelers LB core not great and not good tacklers on running plays. DB’s safeties aren’t bad for passing plays but struggle tackling as well. BM never got hit lol. That’s Pittsburgh’s game. Ben oddly shook since about week 6 or 7.

Tomlin not a great in game guy. More rah rah. Overall a pretty fair coach but not elite. 4th and 1...time management, strategy. He seems more special team than QB if that makes any sense.

Other than for a few weeks once the Steelers were figured to reach the playoffs and lose in round 1....for several weeks from T-giving on they weren’t a top 15 team or really very close. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 12:58 PM

Browns 100% need Ward back next week 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 1:16 PM
posted by sportchampps

Browns 100% need Ward back next week 

They should be getting just about everyone back. Just hope Conklin's issue isn't lingering.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 1:22 PM

Article is saying what a lot of you Steeler fans have been saying. But Jesus, $41m cap hit for 2021? He gone...

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2021/01/11/pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-browns-Ben-Roethlisberger-nfl-wild-card-playoffs-paul-zeise/stories/202101110067

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Fascinating read from Peter King on the leadup to this game and the acquisition of Blake Hance, who replaced Michael Dunn at LG and stonewalled Heyward. Andrew Berry is playing chess, not checkers...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/11/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoffs-fmia-peter-king/

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 4:52 PM

What a dipshit...

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, text that says '"' GAT GATO "Bad loss, but the Browns are going to get clapped next week so it's all good." CHASE CLAYPOOL via Tik Tok Live'

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 4:54 PM
posted by BR1986FB

What a dipshit...

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, text that says '"' GAT GATO "Bad loss, but the Browns are going to get clapped next week so it's all good." CHASE CLAYPOOL via Tik Tok Live'

Why are you looking at Steelers stuff?

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 4:58 PM
posted by Ironman92

This stuff comes up on my Facebook feed. I don't troll Steelers pages. Browns sites sometimes post this stuff and it shows up in my feed. On another Steelers note for you, a radio station out of Pittsburgh's reporting Pouncey is retiring (per a thread on the OBR).

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 5:00 PM
posted by BR1986FB

This stuff comes up on my Facebook feed. I don't troll Steelers pages. Browns sites sometimes post this stuff and it shows up in my feed. On another Steelers note for you, a radio station out of Pittsburgh's reporting Pouncey is retiring (per a thread on the OBR).

🤷🏻‍♂️ Probably smart move unless he feels they can win it all

slingshot4ever Senior Member
4,535 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 5:02 PM
posted by BR1986FB

I seriously wouldn't sleep on the Browns going into KC. Granted the defense is a sieve but they can score with anyone. I thought before that game last night they were going to hang 40 on Pittsburgh after doing it to Baltimore. 

Juju just can't shut his hole and it motivated them. Even Chubb said so after the game.

KC's fans think this will be a laugher. I just hope someone from the Chiefs opens their mouth and gives them some bulletin board material.

Sammy Watkins on Twitter:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_wr_sammy_watkins_suggests_browns_arent_competition/s1_13132_33789326

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 5:37 PM

Well, congrats to the Browns.  They certainly earned it.

Man, what a dumpster fire.  You just had to laugh when Tomlin kept punting on 4th and 1.  Even his diehard defenders are finally acknowledging that he's a terrible coach in the playoffs.  But we're stuck with him until Rooney gets tired of not winning playoff games.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 6:05 PM
posted by gut

Man, what a dumpster fire.  You just had to laugh when Tomlin kept punting on 4th and 1.  Even his diehard defenders are finally acknowledging that he's a terrible coach in the playoffs.  But we're stuck with him until Rooney gets tired of not winning playoff games.

Exchange I had during game:

Me: “I’ve never wanted a team to punt more than right now.”

Friend: “I know. But they have to go for it, unfortunately.”

Me: “I dunno, Tomlin can be a conservative bitch at times. Hopefully this is one of them.”

Come back from commercial and he’s punting. Shockingly, maybe not even his worst punt of game. But Vrabel saved him from worst all weekend. 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 6:33 PM
posted by Laley23

“I know. But they have to go for it, unfortunately.”

Don't mistake this for making excuses or ignoring how awful Ben was, but I really couldn't believe Tomlin was still trying to play attrition football down 15 points.

There's dumb, and then there's braindead.  I don't know if they were making it up or not, but someone posted during the game that those two punts were something like the 2nd and 5th most conservative calls all year (according to some uber stat geek site, I guess).

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 8:58 PM
posted by Ironman92

🤷🏻‍♂️ Probably smart move unless he feels they can win it all

From that same thread on the OBR, it also said Ben, Villanueva & Decastro, besides Pouncey were also considering hanging them up. If that's the case, the cap "hell" I mentioned may not be an issue but they'd have to replace 3/5th's of their starting OL and get a QB.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 9:18 PM
posted by BR1986FB

From that same thread on the OBR, it also said Ben, Villanueva & Decastro, besides Pouncey were also considering hanging them up. If that's the case, the cap "hell" I mentioned may not be an issue but they'd have to replace 3/5th's of their starting OL and get a QB.

I don't know.  In his presser, Ben didn't look or act like a guy who was ready to retire.  And he was asked, pretty directly, about 3-4 times.  He's been somewhat non-committal at the moment, but before the season and as recently as about a month ago he said he plans to at least finish out his contract (one year left).  The velocity is still there, but can he re-gain the accuracy he had before the surgery?  Who knows.

Villanueva is done.  He's a FA, but he was the worst player on their OL this year, and that's REALLY saying something.  Perhaps a move to RT, or maybe a back-up (not sure he'd go for that), but not sure how much demand there will be for his services.

Decastro did not look good for much of the year, but he may not have been 100%.

Pouncey, TBH, has been pretty bad for a couple years now.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 4:37 AM
posted by Ironman92

This shit has made its rounds beyond Steeler nation. What a dumbass comment. Id be pissed as a Steelers fan too. If someone on the Browns did something different I would have given it the jerk off signal.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 5:28 AM
posted by gut

I don't know.  In his presser, Ben didn't look or act like a guy who was ready to retire.  And he was asked, pretty directly, about 3-4 times.  He's been somewhat non-committal at the moment, but before the season and as recently as about a month ago he said he plans to at least finish out his contract (one year left).  The velocity is still there, but can he re-gain the accuracy he had before the surgery?  Who knows.

Villanueva is done.  He's a FA, but he was the worst player on their OL this year, and that's REALLY saying something.  Perhaps a move to RT, or maybe a back-up (not sure he'd go for that), but not sure how much demand there will be for his services.

Decastro did not look good for much of the year, but he may not have been 100%.

Pouncey, TBH, has been pretty bad for a couple years now.

Pouncey and Decastro are both pro bowlers this year and they have been pro bowlers every year since 2016 (Decastro 2015)....

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login