2020 Browns

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 5:33 AM
posted by BR1986FB

From that same thread on the OBR, it also said Ben, Villanueva & Decastro, besides Pouncey were also considering hanging them up. If that's the case, the cap "hell" I mentioned may not be an issue but they'd have to replace 3/5th's of their starting OL and get a QB.

I highly doubt this happens, but I would love for it to happen.  I wouldn't give a fuck about the Steelers cap.  You don't lose a HOF rapist QB , and three starting linemen (let alone 3 pro bowl linemen) and expect to make a quick patch work to compete the following year.  A major reason for their success is that line.

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 5:38 AM
posted by gut

Don't mistake this for making excuses or ignoring how awful Ben was, but I really couldn't believe Tomlin was still trying to play attrition football down 15 points.

There's dumb, and then there's braindead.  I don't know if they were making it up or not, but someone posted during the game that those two punts were something like the 2nd and 5th most conservative calls all year (according to some uber stat geek site, I guess).

It's not an excuse.  It was a stupid ass decision, especially since they were already being aggressive before that 4th and 1.  Just like Laley, I was bummed, because I figured they were going for it and would easily get a first down.  That was a gift from Tomlin.  My friend did research before the game, and the browns defense before the game were 22/27 on giving up 4th down conversions the entire season.  WRs were 5/5 for 99 yards.  As you all already know, the Steelers were 100% on their 4th down conversions during the game.  I appreciated the late christmas gift from Tomlin.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 6:18 AM
posted by like_that

This shit has made its rounds beyond Steeler nation. What a dumbass comment. Id be pissed as a Steelers fan too. If someone on the Browns did something different I would have given it the jerk off signal.

Maybe someday the Steelers will have a talented young receiver that just STFU, until then 🤷🏻‍♂️.

That falls on Tomlin...and personality types but mainly Tomlin.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:46 AM
posted by like_that

I highly doubt this happens, but I would love for it to happen.  I wouldn't give a fuck about the Steelers cap.  You don't lose a HOF rapist QB , and three starting linemen (let alone 3 pro bowl linemen) and expect to make a quick patch work to compete the following year.  A major reason for their success is that line.

I understand what you're saying but it seems like Pouncey & Decastro have had some injury history as of late. Unless Pittsburgh adds more talent, which will be tricky with their cap situation, these O-Lineman may realize a SB run isn't realistic with the way Roethlisberger's been playing and may decide to hang them up.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:49 AM
posted by Ironman92

That falls on Tomlin...and personality types but mainly Tomlin.

Bingo on that. Tomlin said he was going to "have a talk" with Juju after he danced on the Bengals logo, firing them up for an improbable win. What does Juju do before the playoff game? More bulletin board material. Tomlin can't glue their mouths shut or their feet together, I understand, to stop this but I think a lot of the way some of these players act are a direct reflection on him. Like you said, more of a "rah rah" guy than a strategic HC.
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 11:06 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I understand what you're saying but it seems like Pouncey & Decastro have had some injury history as of late. Unless Pittsburgh adds more talent, which will be tricky with their cap situation, these O-Lineman may realize a SB run isn't realistic with the way Roethlisberger's been playing and may decide to hang them up.

It's easier said than done to replace those guys.  If the cap falls down to the agreed upon $175M, they aren't replacing all of those guys in FA.  I would 10 out of 10 times take all of those guys leaving in one drop.  That's a lot of talent to replace, and the Steelers are picking later in the draft.  The Steelers draft well, but you don't replace a HOF rapist QB that easily. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 11:25 AM
posted by like_that

It's not an excuse.  It was a stupid ass decision, especially since they were already being aggressive before that 4th and 1.  Just like Laley, I was bummed, because I figured they were going for it and would easily get a first down.  That was a gift from Tomlin.  My friend did research before the game, and the browns defense before the game were 22/27 on giving up 4th down conversions the entire season.  WRs were 5/5 for 99 yards.  As you all already know, the Steelers were 100% on their 4th down conversions during the game.  I appreciated the late christmas gift from Tomlin.

Of all the stuff for me to be pissed off about on Sunday, that is the one thing that still gets me. Not the "QB plays like shit, but still gets accolades because he got over 500 yards on his 100 pass attempts" or the "WRs taking a note from Kellen Winslow Jr. after the college natty championship game with 'they mighta beat us, but they ain't us' talk".

It's the combination of punting on 4th and 1 in that situation along with how the announcers are all bitch-asses who never call coaches out on anything less than blatantly throwing games like Pederson. All Tomlin (or about any coach) has to do is say "felt all we needed was to count on our defense there and get the ball back" and people will nod their head, say "good strategy; too bad the players didn't do their part" and that's that. Never thinking about things like:

1. It's 4th and 1; not 4th and 5.

2. Just because the Browns had like 2 straight quick 3-and-outs, that doesn't negate the whole 35 points in the first half against you guys.

3. Just because you're scoring and looking good on offense now, that doesn't negate the whole "you were turnover machines in the first half" deal.

4. Just because you were turnover machines in the first half, that doesn't negate the whole "they ran the ball down your throats and also got a couple big pass plays, too" aspect of the game, where it's stupid to just assume your defense is gonna be lockdown for the rest of the game because they had a couple good possessions.

5. You're still two possessions behind with a bit over one quarter to go. By giving up the ball in this situation, you're essentially hoping to still be two possessions behind with less than a quarter to go. Every minute you waste by pussing out gives you that less of a time frame to complete a comeback. You just went from "we have the momentum and they're getting worried" to "we gave up the momentum and they have the ball and they aren't gonna be all 'the sky is falling' because you just showed that you are NOT in 'it's destiny, bitches!!!!' mode after all".

6. And, possibly most importantly, when you do that, you're basically playing reactive football instead of proactive. Taking the ball away from your team that's loaded with offensive talent and putting it all on a defense that's suffered key injuries during the season and is missing a key member of a pretty blah secondary and hoping for the best. Yeah, they've been pretty bad in those short-yardage situations, but it's the playoffs and you need a yard. If you can't get it, you don't deserve to win. And they didn't even try to get it. And now they're done for the season.

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 11:32 AM
posted by Heretic

Of all the stuff for me to be pissed off about on Sunday, that is the one thing that still gets me. Not the "QB plays like shit, but still gets accolades because he got over 500 yards on his 100 pass attempts" or the "WRs taking a note from Kellen Winslow Jr. after the college natty championship game with 'they mighta beat us, but they ain't us' talk".

It's the combination of punting on 4th and 1 in that situation along with how the announcers are all bitch-asses who never call coaches out on anything less than blatantly throwing games like Pederson. All Tomlin (or about any coach) has to do is say "felt all we needed was to count on our defense there and get the ball back" and people will nod their head, say "good strategy; too bad the players didn't do their part" and that's that. Never thinking about things like:

2. Just because the Browns had like 2 straight quick 3-and-outs, that doesn't negate the whole 35 points in the first half against you guys.

To add more salt to the wound, the Browns offense got back to where the Steelers were on 4th and 1 in about 2-3 plays.  I will never comprehend why Tomlin pussed out, but I am very happy he did.
BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:05 PM
posted by like_that

I will never comprehend why Tomlin pussed out, but I am very happy he did.

Me, too. 
Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:24 PM
posted by like_that
To add more salt to the wound, the Browns offense got back to where the Steelers were on 4th and 1 in about 2-3 plays.  I will never comprehend why Tomlin pussed out, but I am very happy he did.

As the game as become more offensive over the past few decades, I think that teams kick on 4th and 1 way too often, not to mention when you are down by 2TDs.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 2:20 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 2:23 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 2:24 PM

I posted the above because of the narrative that Mayfield wilts under pressure/blitzes.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 3:34 PM
posted by BR1986FB

I posted the above because of the narrative that Mayfield wilts under pressure/blitzes.

Blitzes mean under pressure?

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 4:35 PM
posted by BR1986FB

He wilts when the pressure from the blitzes got to him. Peyton was pretty awful too, though. It’s about reading them and protection holding up. That’s been the huge key for the Browns so far. But Baker is still really bad when the pressure gets home.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 5:01 PM
posted by Laley23

He wilts when the pressure from the blitzes got to him. Peyton was pretty awful too, though. It’s about reading them and protection holding up. That’s been the huge key for the Browns so far. But Baker is still really bad when the pressure gets home.

His overall numbers improved greatly once OBJ was gone. Does anyone have a breakdown of his pressure numbers with and without OBJ? 

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 6:32 PM

Game expectations vs the Chiefs?

Biggest worry?

Most confident about?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 7:19 PM
posted by Ironman92

Biggest worry?

Most confident about?

Not a Browns fan but I’ll field this one: Their quarterback 
BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 7:53 PM

My biggest worry is getting a lead and then getting soft. 

I’m confident in our running game. 

Go Browns!

Al Bundy Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

Biggest worry?

Most confident about?

My biggest worry is our secondary. I'm a Cleveland sports fan, so I never go into a postseason confident.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login