2020 Browns

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:29 PM

I fully expect it to be close (so, it wont be lol). Browns have the kind of game/team to beat anyone. But, Chiefs are the Chiefs and Mahomes is Mahomes, so they are gonna score in bunches. 

Need to have long sustained drives, and get into 3rd and shorts. On defense, need to get a couple 3-outs at some point. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:33 PM

If Browns get ahead you can’t change your play style. We saw it last year chiefs can erase a big lead in minutes. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 8:39 PM

In a league dominated by passing, I think Chubb gives you as good of a chance as anyone at beating KC.

BUF vs. BAL should be a heck of a game, too.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 10:28 PM
posted by gut

In a league dominated by passing, I think Chubb gives you as good of a chance as anyone at beating KC.

BUF vs. BAL should be a heck of a game, too.

This right here. I really don't think that KC's D-Line wants any part of the Browns O-Line (especially if Conklin plays) pounding on them all afternoon.

On the flip side, KC's O-Line is banged up. Interesting thing about Mahomes....when he's trying to make a big play he back pedals and backpedals, sometimes 15+ yards behind the LOS. If Garrett can draw a straight on bead on him, not stunts, he could give Mahomes some problems.

And yes, I know, the Browns secondary sucks and the Chiefs receivers are great.

KC has a high octane offense but it's been over a month since they've beaten anyone by 6+ points.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 12, 2021 10:30 PM
posted by Ironman92

Game expectations vs the Chiefs?

Biggest worry?

Most confident about?

I don't want to jinx it so I'm not going to give my confidence level.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 11:51 AM

Denzel Ward & Kevin Johnson are reactivated from the reserve/Covid list

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 12:19 PM
posted by Heretic

Of all the stuff for me to be pissed off about on Sunday, that is the one thing that still gets me. Not the "QB plays like shit, but still gets accolades because he got over 500 yards on his 100 pass attempts" or the "WRs taking a note from Kellen Winslow Jr. after the college natty championship game with 'they mighta beat us, but they ain't us' talk".

It's the combination of punting on 4th and 1 in that situation along with how the announcers are all bitch-asses who never call coaches out on anything less than blatantly throwing games like Pederson. All Tomlin (or about any coach) has to do is say "felt all we needed was to count on our defense there and get the ball back" and people will nod their head, say "good strategy; too bad the players didn't do their part" and that's that. Never thinking about things like:

1. It's 4th and 1; not 4th and 5.

2. Just because the Browns had like 2 straight quick 3-and-outs, that doesn't negate the whole 35 points in the first half against you guys.

3. Just because you're scoring and looking good on offense now, that doesn't negate the whole "you were turnover machines in the first half" deal.

4. Just because you were turnover machines in the first half, that doesn't negate the whole "they ran the ball down your throats and also got a couple big pass plays, too" aspect of the game, where it's stupid to just assume your defense is gonna be lockdown for the rest of the game because they had a couple good possessions.

5. You're still two possessions behind with a bit over one quarter to go. By giving up the ball in this situation, you're essentially hoping to still be two possessions behind with less than a quarter to go. Every minute you waste by pussing out gives you that less of a time frame to complete a comeback. You just went from "we have the momentum and they're getting worried" to "we gave up the momentum and they have the ball and they aren't gonna be all 'the sky is falling' because you just showed that you are NOT in 'it's destiny, bitches!!!!' mode after all".

6. And, possibly most importantly, when you do that, you're basically playing reactive football instead of proactive. Taking the ball away from your team that's loaded with offensive talent and putting it all on a defense that's suffered key injuries during the season and is missing a key member of a pretty blah secondary and hoping for the best. Yeah, they've been pretty bad in those short-yardage situations, but it's the playoffs and you need a yard. If you can't get it, you don't deserve to win. And they didn't even try to get it. And now they're done for the season.

He punts the ball on 4th and 1, ostensibly because he thinks he is going to get another 3 and out.  So if you think you are going to get that 3 and out; then you go for it on 4th and 1. 

Appears to be a boneheaded decision.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 12:22 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Denzel Ward & Kevin Johnson are reactivated from the reserve/Covid list

Bigly.  Without them the Browns would get stream-rolled.  Need a good run game with plenty of ball control to hang around, then a wild finish.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 14, 2021 3:52 PM

Browns stuck it to the Rapists, no doubt about that.

From about week 10 or so it was evident that steelers team was a pretender, and at the end of the line.

It has been a good ride, no doubt about that, but all great things must come to an end. I just pray our  rebuild doesnt take as long as Cleveland's....

I can see the Clowns winning this weekend.  Can BM throw for 300+ against the Chefs?  Yeah, but if so that leads you to believe it will be a track meet and that is one that KC wins.

For the browns to win they need to take the air out of the all and keep Pats Mahomeys off the field and to do that they need 200+ yards rushing.    Higher powered offenses like KC can get antsy and press too much when they see limited possessions.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 15, 2021 3:12 PM

I know the Chiefs are loaded on offense but it won't hurt that Sammy Watkins DNP and is out, along with LB Willie Gay for KC. Clyde Edwards-Helaire could be back though,

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jan 16, 2021 7:11 AM
posted by thavoice

Browns stuck it to the Rapists, no doubt about that.

From about week 10 or so it was evident that steelers team was a pretender, and at the end of the line.

It has been a good ride, no doubt about that, but all great things must come to an end. I just pray our  rebuild doesnt take as long as Cleveland's....

I can see the Clowns winning this weekend.  Can BM throw for 300+ against the Chefs?  Yeah, but if so that leads you to believe it will be a track meet and that is one that KC wins.

For the browns to win they need to take the air out of the all and keep Pats Mahomeys off the field and to do that they need 200+ yards rushing.    Higher powered offenses like KC can get antsy and press too much when they see limited possessions.

Hey thavoice, you weren't around for me to say go fuck yourself after the Browns knocked out rapist, so I just wanted to say go fuck yourself.

Sat, Jan 16, 2021 7:13 AM

Anyway, thavoice does have a good point.  KC's defense is near last in the league at stopping the run, and the team as a whole has a tendency to start slow.   If the Browns want to win then Chunt needs to eat and keep Mahomes off the field.

Edit:  BTW, I know BR is anti PFF, but PFF has the Browns o line as the number one rated pass blocking line and run blocking line.  Pretty fucking good and pretty quick turnaround. 

Sat, Jan 16, 2021 7:38 AM

Speaking of great oline, JT had a good 30 minute interview with Jim Rome on his podcast.  JT is such a great guy, especially with his comments about Manziel.  He desreves to be on this current team.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Sat, Jan 16, 2021 11:00 AM
posted by like_that

Anyway, thavoice does have a good point.  KC's defense is near last in the league at stopping the run, and the team as a whole has a tendency to start slow.   If the Browns want to win then Chunt needs to eat and keep Mahomes off the field.

Edit:  BTW, I know BR is anti PFF, but PFF has the Browns o line as the number one rated pass blocking line and run blocking line.  Pretty fucking good and pretty quick turnaround. 

I've warmed up to PFF but don't 100% agree with everything.

The Browns can beat you with either that running game or Mayfield. Everyone wants to throw out "game manager" regarding Mayfield. As Baker has become more acclimated to this offense, Stefanski has turned him loose. They are relying more on Mayfield now than the running game.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 17, 2021 1:23 PM

I’m oddly confident today. LFG Browns!

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 17, 2021 1:46 PM
posted by Laley23

I’m oddly confident today. LFG Browns!

I feel like that, too.  We’re playing with house money.

Go Browns!

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 17, 2021 2:41 PM
posted by like_that

I never look PFF but I do give it great value in what they do. BM never gets touched anymore. It’s a combination of things but that Oline is getting it done.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 17, 2021 2:46 PM

Good luck today guys

I’m not sure what to expect. 

I do wonder:

1. How much do the Chiefs PLAYERS really buy in that the Browns are a more than worthy opponent.

2. (a lesser wonder, but it’s there) How much “energy” did they have and put into beating their hated rival last week and will they repeat that desire this week? Sometimes you want to get over that hump so badly and work so hard to do it....once you do it sometimes you take a deep breath and lose some focus and edge.

Browns will need another very clean game and will need to win the turnover differential.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sun, Jan 17, 2021 3:44 PM

I know this is an unpopular take here among Osu fans, but Ward is soft af. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login