2023 NFL Regular Season

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 10:27 AM
posted by Ironman92

The simulators and all of the playoff percentages are just crap. What were the numbers 3 weeks ago? Vastly different for many many teams. The games are on the field.

I agree. If the Browns get boat raced by a Case Keenum lead Texans team, by 23 points, they don't deserve to be in. 

If that were to happen, either the defense imploded or Flacco threw multiple pick 6's. 

The Texans running game worries me more than Keenum, who can't throw a ball more than 20 yards.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 10:33 AM
posted by Ironman92

My power rankings

1. 49ers

2. Ravens….I still don’t fully trust them 

3. Chiefs….I still trust them maybe more than I should

4. Eagles…still time but better right the ship 

5. Dolphins (beware their crappy schedule)

6. Lions…my feel good bandwagon team, but don’t greatly trust

7. Cowboys….most likely to win by 4 TD and lose by 4 TD in the playoffs

8. Browns…can Flacco stay young? He’s up to age 30

9. Bills….I might be buying this as their year. Something looks different since they were 5-6 and “out of it”….Allen will be the key and can’t be a turnover machine

10. Bengals….great line and weapons. Must stay hungry.

11. Texans…no Stroud this week kills in a huge game. I like their OC and what a great turnaround 

12. Jaguars….still time to get it back but we’ll see

13. Seahawks…if I’m big contender, I’m rooting for them to not make the playoffs or get beat in round 1

14. Colts…little trust here but have had a nice season

15. Rams….have became somewhat dangerous

16. Vikings…boring but more functional than 1/2 the league

17. Buccaneers….beat team in the NFC South. Bleh

18. Broncos…don’t forget about them just yet for the postseason but they aren’t scaring anyone

19. Raiders….things get weak here lol

20. Packers…. 🤷🏻‍♂️, they’ve shown signs but maybe next year

21. Steelers…..dumpster fire hoping for some “because NFL wins”…playing bottom 1 or 2 but wins over 3 top 10 teams keep them from season bottom tier

22. Saints…I am WATCHING their game as I type this and they are the team inkeft off on the first run through. That’s telling.

23. Bears….no sense for the dramatic lol

24. Jets….maybe next year

25.  Falcons….ass

26.  Titans…I like Levis but Vrabel seems disinterested 

27. Giants

28. Commanders

29. Patriots

30. Cardinals

31. Chargers…crazy

32. Panthers

Sign of parity since the Browns at 8 have beat both of the top 2 teams. Yet lost to the Steelers at 21

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 10:45 AM

I've seen a lot of these power rankings with the Bills in the top 5 and they aren't even leading their division.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:11 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I agree. If the Browns get boat raced by a Case Keenum lead Texans team, by 23 points, they don't deserve to be in. 

If that were to happen, either the defense imploded or Flacco threw multiple pick 6's. 

The Texans running game worries me more than Keenum, who can't throw a ball more than 20 yards.

I think with Stroud it’s a great game….like I guessed with Fields. Keenum isn’t mobile enough and the Browns DB’s can cover. I see a 24-16 game

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:14 AM

Before Covid he was the daily insanity of twitter and the sports world.

It’s crazy how good he was once upon a time.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:16 AM

From 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewaWrraFJ8

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:28 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Woof....I'm hearing rumblings that Tomlin may have interest in being traded to the Commanders or Chargers. I still think he's a good motivator but has no control over his locker room with guys like Pickens, Diontae Johnson and previously Antonio Brown. This stat, ouch...

His problem is he can't coach, and has struggled massively to hire people that can coach. 

If you have enough talent to overcome that, and you're happy to settle for non-losing seasons, then Tomlin is definitely your guy.

Hopefully someone is dumb enough to trade for him.  But he has NO coaching tree, which is probably the best indication of what league insiders actually think about what Tomlin has done.  Some owner will probably cave to their irrational fan base, though.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:28 AM
posted by jmog

Sign of parity since the Browns at 8 have beat both of the top 2 teams. Yet lost to the Steelers at 21

I think another sign of parity is how quickly you get into the list and see teams that you think have major issues that could/should hurt them in a playoff run. With this one, it took me all the way to #3 (those wide receivers and their drops) and then followed that up with #4 (three straight losses, two by blowout against good teams and one against a mediocre team where they led most of the way but couldn't put them away, and then gave up an amazing drive in crunch time).

And then you go down the list and see teams ranked lower that you'd probably have more faith in at the current time. Even though they're not assured of being in the playoffs and the way this year has gone, could easily hit a slump and wind up on the outside.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:33 AM
posted by Heretic

And then you go down the list and see teams ranked lower that you'd probably have more faith in at the current time. Even though they're not assured of being in the playoffs and the way this year has gone, could easily hit a slump and wind up on the outside.

Feels like it's been that way for a while, with really only about 4 teams a notch above and a huge group of 10-15 behind separated more or less by a few plays here and there, or injuries.

I imagine coaches have also adjusted to the fact that 7 teams now make the playoffs, and there's only one bye.  It's definitely an art to getting your team to peak in January.  I think, for a lot of coaches, that probably trumps seeding.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:35 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I've seen a lot of these power rankings with the Bills in the top 5 and they aren't even leading their division.

I can understand that if the rankings are based simply on how they are playing now and only that. Winning at KC and blowing out Dallas at home is probably the best current two-game stretch of anyone --- even if they still aren't currently in the playoffs and likely will have to turn that two-game stretch into just not fucking losing ever again due to having about zero tiebreakers in their favor.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:40 AM
posted by BR1986FB

ESPN used their "simulator" to predict the last 3 games, determining who makes the playoffs. They had the Browns getting destroyed by Houston 33-10 this week, then squeaking by the Jets by one point and beating the Bengals the final week, getting in as the 5 seed. They had Pittsburgh beating the Bengals this week, by one, then losing out to go 8-9. They had the Bengals losing their last 3 games. They said this simulator was very accurate last year. I'm thinking not so much this year.

That makes about zero sense to me (the Houston game). Even with Stroud playing great, their M.O. more often than not was to play teams close and get a clutch drive late to seal the deal, as opposed to killing them (their only two lopsided wins were early in the year with Jacksonville and Pittsburgh back to back). Their one game with Keenan was an ugly OT win against a bad team. If they have a magical formula for how to utterly smash a decent-to-good team while starting a career back-up, uh, can they please pass it to Pittsburgh like right now?

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:42 AM

posted by BR1986FB

Woof....I'm hearing rumblings that Tomlin may have interest in being traded to the Commanders or Chargers. I still think he's a good motivator but has no control over his locker room with guys like Pickens, Diontae Johnson and previously Antonio Brown. This stat, ouch....

Commanders are historically the sort of idiot-run franchise who would give up far more than needed to pull something like this off, so I'd be down with that!
gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 11:55 AM
posted by Heretic
Commanders are historically the sort of idiot-run franchise who would give up far more than needed to pull something like this off, so I'd be down with that!

Tomlin is not a builder.  I don't think he'll risk his faux "legacy" going to a bad team where he knows he'll fail.  The only situation he can succeed in is a SB-ready team that just needs a few tweaks on defense and a bit more discipline on offense.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 1:25 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 4:55 PM

So this is messed up...WR Mike Williams, who died a few months back, died from sepsis from an infection due to bad teeth.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Dec 22, 2023 5:00 PM
posted by BR1986FB

So this is messed up...WR Mike Williams, who died a few months back, died from sepsis from an infection due to bad teeth.

sepsis is some serious stuff….infections gone too far. Sounds crazy but any little opening could do it 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 249 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 23, 2023 5:24 PM

Bengals looking ass 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 23, 2023 5:50 PM

Just like I predicted. 

Once this loss is official my interest in the season can conclude. Hope Burrow can stay healthy for a change next season. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 23, 2023 7:52 PM

Bengals didn’t look overly energized for this game.

NFL has had a mess of unpredictable 3 game winning streaks and losing streaks that were basically out of nowhere. Should investigate. 😁

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 23, 2023 10:06 PM

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login