Impressed by the Trump administration part II

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 22, 2019 11:45 PM
posted by Heretic

Maybe instead of constantly looking for answers that he's unwilling or incapable of giving, you should simply cut through the knot, so to speak, and come to the understanding that he's blindly partisan to the point that, regardless of how intelligent he may be, he comes off as a frothing idiot. Every single thing that is good comes from the Rs; every single thing that is bad is because of the Ds and that's that. No deep thinking necessary, nor any use of actual logic and reason. Just a pure good/evil thing where the worth and value of everything is determined by what political party has the reins and how that can be twisted to suit his "R = good, D = bad" philosophy.

There's no point in looking for deeper meanings when dealing with a person who lives and dies by the most simplistic of viewpoints.

Well, if someone appeals to sound reason when making their case, it's hardly unjustified to want them to demonstrate it and address defeaters.

Plus, sometimes it's just fun to take someone to task if they've been obnoxious.

posted by gut

I understand your point.  And it's wrong.  Taxes and the economic outlook have a huge impact on investment decisions.  I know this because I've been in Board Rooms when these decisions are made....as opposed to the ignorant "journalist" you read imagining what those discussions look like.

Most other people who have been in Board Rooms agree with me.  It's pretty much only partisan journalists with an agenda talking out of their ass who disagree.

I've been in a boardroom where this sort of thing was discussed, and it was definitely the case there.  Having said that, and I know you articulated this earlier, action was mostly seen as negative, and inaction was mostly seen as positive.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 24, 2019 12:26 PM
posted by O-Trap

Well, if someone appeals to sound reason when making their case, it's hardly unjustified to want them to demonstrate it and address defeaters.

Plus, sometimes it's just fun to take someone to task if they've been obnoxious.

While I don't disagree with your point in general, I think there becomes a time when trying to find deeper purpose and meaning to what a person is saying becomes futile. QQ's had many opportunities over the years to try to explain his reasoning beyond a simplistic "R = GOOD; D = BAD!!!" stance and his only real reaction is to keep on keepin' on with his "praise everything good that is happening; ignore anything bad because an R holds the presidency" persona that, quite honestly, comes off sounding fake as hell after a while. To the degree a person could plausibly wonder if he's a hardcore left-winger trolling by adopting a brain-addled right-wing personality OR a reasonably well-designed bot spamming the site with propaganda.

Some people, regardless of how their views differ from mine, come from a position deserving of being taken seriously due to at least appearing to have some authority or knowledge concerning whatever subject is being discussed. He is basically Sleeper if he never did that ill-fated 180-degree turn from "heh, poor people suck" to over-the-top SJW. Nothing but generic, knee-jerk opinions followed by often-biased links backing up said opinion.

Tue, Dec 24, 2019 1:08 PM
posted by Heretic

While I don't disagree with your point in general, I think there becomes a time when trying to find deeper purpose and meaning to what a person is saying becomes futile. QQ's had many opportunities over the years to try to explain his reasoning beyond a simplistic "R = GOOD; D = BAD!!!" stance and his only real reaction is to keep on keepin' on with his "praise everything good that is happening; ignore anything bad because an R holds the presidency" persona that, quite honestly, comes off sounding fake as hell after a while. To the degree a person could plausibly wonder if he's a hardcore left-winger trolling by adopting a brain-addled right-wing personality OR a reasonably well-designed bot spamming the site with propaganda.

Some people, regardless of how their views differ from mine, come from a position deserving of being taken seriously due to at least appearing to have some authority or knowledge concerning whatever subject is being discussed. He is basically Sleeper if he never did that ill-fated 180-degree turn from "heh, poor people suck" to over-the-top SJW. Nothing but generic, knee-jerk opinions followed by often-biased links backing up said opinion.

Damn.  That's actually a pretty good parallel.

You don't suppose ...

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 26, 2019 11:26 AM

BOARD ROOMS.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 26, 2019 3:32 PM
posted by gut

When he's not watching Fox News, he's reading press clippings of himself.  Hard to imagine where he finds the time to campaign and golf so much.

Which sort of proves the point I've been making for a while - the President doesn't actually do anything.  The idea that POTUS "runs the country" is laughable.  It's a marketing & advertising position and you just rubber stamp all the real decisions.

LOL

You mean all the real decisions that have been kicked down the road for 3 decades now?  Hell, Trump has accomplished more in 3 years than anyone I can remember; he is right there with Reagan.  And all of it while being bludgeoned by the media non-stop, 24x7, for three years, along with the impeachment mob.  It is stunning what he has achieved given the circumstances.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Dec 26, 2019 5:38 PM

And thus concludes The Daily Blowjob.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Dec 26, 2019 8:44 PM
posted by QuakerOats

LOL

You mean all the real decisions that have been kicked down the road for 3 decades now?  Hell, Trump has accomplished more in 3 years than anyone I can remember; he is right there with Reagan.  And all of it while being bludgeoned by the media non-stop, 24x7, for three years, along with the impeachment mob.  It is stunning what he has achieved given the circumstances.

What has he done with healthcare?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Dec 26, 2019 10:58 PM
posted by geeblock

There is legislation sitting somewhere to deal with prescription med costs.  

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Dec 28, 2019 3:48 AM
posted by O-Trap

I seriously don't understand what the rationale is for someone to be an adult by legal standards, but for there to be laws in place for the purpose of criminalizing them for making decisions about their own lives as adults.

Fucking dumb.

Well, they had to raise the age to 21 in order to prevent 14 year olds from using tobacco. How can you not comprehend this?!!

Sat, Dec 28, 2019 1:34 PM
posted by like_that

Well, they had to raise the age to 21 in order to prevent 14 year olds from using tobacco. How can you not comprehend this?!!

What was I thinking?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 12:17 PM
posted by geeblock

Chipped away at dismantling obamaKare (and would have completely whacked it except for John McCain) …………which in and of itself is good for free Americans.  Getting government out of health care and health insurance should be the objective.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 1:39 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Chipped away at dismantling obamaKare (and would have completely whacked it except for John McCain) …………which in and of itself is good for free Americans.  Getting government out of health care and health insurance should be the objective.

What's the capital "K" supposed to signify?  

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 30, 2019 1:55 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What's the capital "K" supposed to signify?  

Komrade

geeblock Member
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 10:01 AM

I could be wrong but when the dems has control didn’t the gop vote like 60 times to repeal Obamacare and also shut down the government over it? Then we they get control and have the ability to repeal it they don’t? Maybe I’m not educated on the subject but that is what it looks like to me 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 12:07 PM
posted by geeblock

I could be wrong but when the dems has control didn’t the gop vote like 60 times to repeal Obamacare and also shut down the government over it? Then we they get control and have the ability to repeal it they don’t? Maybe I’m not educated on the subject but that is what it looks like to me 

Repubs could have done it, but were one vote short because McCain’s personal vindictiveness got in the way of doing what was right for Americans. Sad.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 12:30 PM

McCain ended up with some serious stains on his career at the end.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 1:41 PM

Getting hard to not feel bad for McCain. Dude had a very accomplished life, but gets shit on by the Rs because he wasn't the sort of party-before-country swamp-dweller they love. While also getting shit on by the Ds because every time he didn't toe the party line, they seemed to think he was one of them, so when he didn't take their side on another issue, they took it as some massive betrayal by a tool who wanted to have his cake and eat it, too.

Kind of depressing to those of us who are more moderate and who'd like more officeholders to be something other than generic mouthpieces for whatever party they're affiliated with to realize that the end result of being a moderate in today's culture is to simply have both sides hate you because you aren't 100% entrenched in their bullshit. The way this site's Pure R Dipshits are talking about McCain is about the same way I've seen Pure Prog Dipshits talking about Gabbard, to where she apparently is a Trump mole who is planning to run as an Independent simply to siphon off potential D voters.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 3:24 PM
posted by Heretic

Kind of depressing to those of us who are more moderate and who'd like more officeholders to be something other than generic mouthpieces for whatever party they're affiliated with

It's really hard to be a "maverick" in today's Congress.  The entrenched career politicians leading those parties beat you down if you don't play ball - they cut off your funding, support your primary challenger and you're done.  Trump's impeachment - which was not purely politics - illustrates how bipartisanship is completely lost.  428 votes and literally 2 crossed party lines (not counting Tulsi's spineless "present" vote).

"The Squad" might be an exception mainly because of outside money, which is pretty messed up.  I certainly wouldn't want AOC representing my district - if she's not after even bigger things she certainly seems much more interested in the national stage than her home district.

geeblock Member
Tue, Dec 31, 2019 5:42 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Repubs could have done it, but were one vote short because McCain’s personal vindictiveness got in the way of doing what was right for Americans. Sad.

So just so I’m understanding this correctly they only had the majority by 1 person?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login