Browns Preseason 2019

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 10:01 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Assuming you meant Williams and kitchens? Not Robinson and kitchens?

thank you, yes

Crimson streak Senior Member
9,170 posts 51 reps Joined Jun 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 12:25 PM

I really think Matt Campbell is getting some serious consideration for the job. A couple insiders believe he is getting or already had an interview. I wouldn’t be mad about it 

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 12:26 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

I think the main thing to keep in mind, is Dorsey is trying to find a super bowl-caliber head coach. He’s not just trying to find a  “respectable” HC which is what Williams and Caldwell would be. He knows that with baker, and especially baker on his rookie contract, we have a window to win a SB in the next few years so he’s trying to find a HC that can get that done, not one that we should all be impressed by because he led Detroit to two 9-7 seasons. 

Exactly. Browns are a great situation and we can have the pick of the litter. Gone are the days of us having to try and talk ourselves into a Pettine/Schumur/Mangini. We're a great team poised for a superbowl run. We're not that far away, and this is easily the best team we've had since '99.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 1:40 PM
posted by Crimson streak

I really think Matt Campbell is getting some serious consideration for the job. A couple insiders believe he is getting or already had an interview. I wouldn’t be mad about it 

I don't get the jerk off fest for this guy.  Is it because he is "young?" He really hasn't done anything impressive at ISU.  The hype around him reminds me of the hype around Doug Marrone when he was coaching at Syracuse.  Made 0 sense to me.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 1:47 PM
posted by like_that

I don't get the jerk off fest for this guy.  Is it because he is "young?" He really hasn't done anything impressive at ISU.  The hype around him, reminds me of the hype around Doug Marrone when he was coaching at Syracuse.  Made 0 sense to me.

Agreed, EZ pass.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 1:48 PM
posted by Crimson streak

nah, not ready...not even close (and I'm a UT alum and big fan of his)

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 2:27 PM

Good watch

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 2:31 PM

Browns not letting Kitchens interview for open vacancies. Interesting.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:24 PM
posted by iclfan2

Browns not letting Kitchens interview for open vacancies. Interesting.

They aren't allowing him to interview for open OC vacancies which says to me that he's staying in some capacity. It would be a complete dick (Josh McDaniels-like) move to tell him he couldn't interview for another OC role and then let him go.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:33 PM
posted by like_that

I don't get the jerk off fest for this guy.  Is it because he is "young?" He really hasn't done anything impressive at ISU.  The hype around him reminds me of the hype around Doug Marrone when he was coaching at Syracuse.  Made 0 sense to me.

Not sure he is ready for the NFL. But ISU had exactly 1 season above .500, at 7-6 (and 4th in their division), before he took over. They went 8-5 last year and this finishing 4th and 3rd in the Big 12. 

Crimson streak Senior Member
9,170 posts 51 reps Joined Jun 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:41 PM
posted by like_that

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row. Many thought he was the absolute favorite to be the next Ohio st coach until they decided to stay in house with Day. The patriots offered him a coaching position a couple years ago and turned it down. 

The fact they won’t let kitchens interview tells me he will either be the OC next year or the head coach. Honestly I would be 100% happy if Dorsey hired him to be the HC 

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:59 PM
posted by Crimson streak

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row. Many thought he was the absolute favorite to be the next Ohio st coach until they decided to stay in house with Day. The patriots offered him a coaching position a couple years ago and turned it down. 

The fact they won’t let kitchens interview tells me he will either be the OC next year or the head coach. Honestly I would be 100% happy if Dorsey hired him to be the HC 

Is this a joke?
Having a top 25 college team for two years now means he's ready to be a HC? Give me a fuggin' break. He can come to the browns and be a position coach, outside of that he can jog on. HC? GTFO

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 4:11 PM
posted by Crimson streak

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row.  

3-9, 8-5, 8-5 in his three years at ISU...excellent job, but certainly not NFL HC worthy, at least not now...and a couple years as a coordinator at the NFL level might help as well.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 4:26 PM
posted by vball10set

3-9, 8-5, 8-5 in his three years at ISU...excellent job, but certainly not NFL HC worthy, at least not now...and a couple years as a coordinator at that level might help as well.

8-5 is a fireable offense at most major universities. Reeks of Hoiberg IMO. EZ & HARD PASS

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:17 PM

Jesus....I believe it was Heretic who said that sports talk radio callers will make you dumber. I didn't hear this but did see people bashing this caller online. Some dumbass in Cleveland called up the local sports talk station and seriously proposed a Derek Carr and two 1st's for Baker Mayfield. Good god....I don't know that there's a trade that I'd make for him right now.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 10:59 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

8-5 is a fireable offense at most major universities. Reeks of Hoiberg IMO. EZ & HARD PASS

After a decade of losing records...no it isn’t. And frankly, it isn’t at “most major universities” in general.

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:10 AM
posted by Laley23

Not sure he is ready for the NFL. But ISU had exactly 1 season above .500, at 7-6 (and 4th in their division), before he took over. They went 8-5 last year and this finishing 4th and 3rd in the Big 12. 

Good for him.  He can work on building on his two 8-5 seasons in the Big 12 and perhaps eventually work his way to a big program or into the NFL.  Jim Harbaugh did more when he took over shitty college football programs, and look at him now. His resume right now doesn't scream "NFL head coach" ready at all.  Especially for the top HC vacancy in the NFL. The hype is premature and definitely not worth a NFL HC gig. I hardly trust the big names from college programs without NFL experience, let alone this guy. 

posted by Crimson streak

No, it's not a joke at all.  His resume and hype screams Doug Marrone to me.  He should work his way to a bigger school, where the expectations are much higher than being excited for two 8-5 seasons.  

Is this a joke?
Having a top 25 college team for two years now means he's ready to be a HC? Give me a fuggin' break. He can come to the browns and be a position coach, outside of that he can jog on. HC? GTFO

This.  As I said above, get a HC gig at a school with higher expectations or work your way thru the NFL as a positions coach then we can talk.  

Imagine him being the HC at OSU and churning out 8-5 seasons.  I am sure this forum would be ecstatic /sarcasm.  I can think of many other current college FB coaches, that I would rather interview well before Campbell. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:17 AM

I think the point is, if you can take a 1-10 Iowa state program to 8-5, it means you can coach. If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

That being said, let him go to another nfl team that doesn’t have SB expectations in the coming years. Browns need to focus on someone else. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:20 AM

Basically, what S&L said is correct. Campbell can coach players up. Some seem to forget, Campbell's getting 2 & 3 star recruits. He doesn't have the benefit of being a Meyer or Saban where the 5 stars are just falling in his lap.

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:38 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I think the point is, if you can take a 1-10 Iowa state program to 8-5, it means you can coach. If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

That being said, let him go to another nfl team that doesn’t have SB expectations in the coming years. Browns need to focus on someone else. 

I get the logic, but there are plenty of college FB coaches who have done this and they don't deserve to coach a NFL team, especially the top vacancy in the NFL.  It's a much different ball game when you're coaching a program that has high expectations or the NFL where coaches are on a short leash this day and age. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login