Browns Preseason 2019

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:41 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Basically, what S&L said is correct. Campbell can coach players up. Some seem to forget, Campbell's getting 2 & 3 star recruits. He doesn't have the benefit of being a Meyer or Saban where the 5 stars are just falling in his lap.

I wouldn't want Bowling Green or Utah Urban Meyer to take over this current Browns roster either and his resume from those two schools are more impressive than Campbell's.  Urban Meyer did exactly what I said Campbell should do.  He went to a school with high expectations and he thrived.  Hell, even now fans aren't too sure if they would want Urban to coach the Browns, because he has 0 NFL experience. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:44 AM
posted by like_that

I wouldn't want Bowling Green or Utah Urban Meyer to take over this current Browns roster either and his resume from those two schools are more impressive than Campbell's.  Urban Meyer did exactly what I said Campbell should do.  He went to a school with high expectations and he thrived.  Hell, even now fans aren't too sure if they would want Urban to coach the Browns, because he has 0 NFL experience. 

I didn't say I wanted Campbell but the guy can coach.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:45 AM
posted by SportsAndLady
If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

To your point, Louis Riddick was on G&W this morning saying if he were a NFL GM, he'd continue to call Ryan Day until he returned the call. He said the way he coaches the offense against various defenses is NFL caliber, and when he asked football people what they thought of Day, both as a person and as a coach, the feedback was overwhelming. I think OSU hit a home run with the hire, but you have to wonder how long before the $$$'s of the NFL come calling.

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:01 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I didn't say I wanted Campbell but the guy can coach.

I am not saying you are, I am just adding to my case that I don't believe he deserves this current jerk off fest.  Don't get me wrong either, I hope he succeeds (unless he ends up somewhere I hate).  I like to see Ohio guys succeed.  It's a good argument to use when you debate, which state is the best at football.  I have a dumbass friend from PA (band geek), that used to say PA is better state for football than Ohio.  All I had to do was give him a list of coaches from Ohio and that made him STFU.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:22 AM
posted by like_that

I am not saying you are, I am just adding to my case that I don't believe he deserves this current jerk off fest.  Don't get me wrong either, I hope he succeeds (unless he ends up somewhere I hate).  I like to see Ohio guys succeed.  It's a good argument to use when you debate, which state is the best at football.  I have a dumbass friend from PA (band geek), that used to say PA is better state for football than Ohio.  All I had to do was give him a list of coaches from Ohio and that made him STFU.

Including Chuck Noll, lol

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:56 AM
posted by like_that

I get the logic, but there are plenty of college FB coaches who have done this and they don't deserve to coach a NFL team, especially the top vacancy in the NFL.  It's a much different ball game when you're coaching a program that has high expectations or the NFL where coaches are on a short leash this day and age. 

Who are these college coaches who’ve taken over 1-10 programs and turned out two 8-5 seasons in such a short time?

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:59 AM
posted by vball10set
If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

To your point, Louis Riddick was on G&W this morning saying if he were a NFL GM, he'd continue to call Ryan Day until he returned the call. He said the way he coaches the offense against various defenses is NFL caliber, and when he asked football people what they thought of Day, both as a person and as a coach, the feedback was overwhelming. I think OSU hit a home run with the hire, but you have to wonder how long before the $$$'s of the NFL come calling.

Yeah I heard Riddick’s comments on Day, too. Does make me a little nervous that our new coach is already being looked at for the NFL. I listened to Day’s interview on golic and wingo, and he said he is humbled by riddicks comments and he seemed to talk like he’s going to try and win OSU a championship but coaching in the NFL sounds like something he’d do. I doubt we’ll have Day for more than 3-4 years. 

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:09 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Who are these college coaches who’ve taken over 1-10 programs and turned out two 8-5 seasons in such a short time?

I wasn't being that specific lol, but there are plenty of coaches that take over shit programs and turn them into barely over .500 teams.  Doug Marrone, Jim Harbaugh, Butch Davis, and Urban Meyer are a few names that come to mind without even looking into it. 

Campbell is a byproduct of teams all of a sudden getting into this "young up and comer/innovative" coach trend, because of McVay and Nagy.   If that is what you guys like, then we already have it with Freddie Kitchens.  He actually has 12 years of NFL experience under his belt, and some success to show for it. 

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:48 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I think the point is, if you can take a 1-10 Iowa state program to 8-5, it means you can coach. If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

That being said, let him go to another nfl team that doesn’t have SB expectations in the coming years. Browns need to focus on someone else. 

Does it? Maybe it means the guy before can't coach, or that he's a good recruiter. Two seasons at a shitty school with a shitty record does not = NFL HC. Long as we're talking College coaches that have no business being the HC of the browns, I don't see anyone JOing to Scott Frost, who took an 0-12 UCF team to 11-0 record in two seasons. There's a guy that is a better coach that some Iowa St bum.

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:49 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Basically, what S&L said is correct. Campbell can coach players up. Some seem to forget, Campbell's getting 2 & 3 star recruits. He doesn't have the benefit of being a Meyer or Saban where the 5 stars are just falling in his lap.

He's also playing in bum ass teams like Akron, Northern Iowa, Kansas St, and Drake.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 12:10 PM
posted by like_that

Campbell is a byproduct of teams all of a sudden getting into this "young up and comer/innovative" coach trend, because of McVay and Nagy.   If that is what you guys like, then we already have it with Freddie Kitchens.  He actually has 12 years of NFL experience under his belt, and some success to show for it. 

Heard a comment this morning that "McDaniels was McVay before McVay was McVay."

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 12:20 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Heard a comment this morning that "McDaniels was McVay before McVay was McVay."

Except McDaniels is a proven loser in the NFL with his 11-17 (.393) record as HC. That's Hue Jackson level of bad, have no idea why any team would even consider him.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 1:02 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

and NON SCHOLLY Drake.

LOL, by 3 points.  WTF

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 1:29 PM

Except McDaniels is a proven loser in the NFL with his 11-17 (.393) record as HC. That's Hue Jackson level of bad, have no idea why any team would even consider him.

They were talking about his offensive coordinator acumen more than his HC skills. I don't want any part of that POS weasel. If the Browns do hire him, I wonder if there will be more Peyton Hillis sightings in Cleveland....lol

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:01 PM

Joel Bitonio second team all-pro. No clue how he wasn’t 1st team. 

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:04 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Tough with Nelson and Martin in the mix too.  Shout out to Myles for getting 2nd team.  I also get pissed every time I see Mitchell Schwartz doing well.  Sashi was such a fucking idiot.  There was no reason to fuck around negotiating his contract. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:18 PM

Peter King has Baker as his ROY

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:24 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Browns. 

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:42 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Peter King has Baker as his ROY

That's the LBJ in the draft level of 'duh'

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 4, 2019 3:06 PM

That's the LBJ in the draft level of 'duh'

Yeah, not so sure about that. I'm sure big market NYC will be pimping Barkley VERY hard.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login