Browns Preseason 2019

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Wed, Jan 2, 2019 6:43 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Tis what I want as well. If we let kitchens walk, I’ll be fucking livid. Don’t think Dorsey will let that happen though. 

Yeah me either, maybe it's the fact that I've watched literal morons coach our team for 20 yrs, but Kitchens is the real deal. You can't let talent like that walk out the door. I agree, I trust in Dorsey to make it happen. Only wrench would be if Halam got involved and over ruled him ala JFF draft.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Wed, Jan 2, 2019 8:30 PM

Screw McDaniels....I'd be surprised if anyone would trust him enough to commit to being on his staff after the crap he pulled in Indy last year. Dorsey said he wanted "a man of character." That eliminates McDaniels.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 2, 2019 8:55 PM

Jim Caldwell was interviewed today. I’m hoping the interview was for DC or something other than HC..

Wed, Jan 2, 2019 9:01 PM

Anyone else think clay Matthews to Cleveland makes sense?

Wed, Jan 2, 2019 9:09 PM

Some PFF defensive grades..

32nd in tackling 

30th run defense

29th pass-rushing

15th coverage 

special teams was 30th

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 2, 2019 9:24 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

32nd in tackling 

30th run defense

29th pass-rushing

15th coverage 

special teams was 30th

I knew the defense wasn’t great but wow, that’s bad. 

Wed, Jan 2, 2019 9:47 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

32nd in tackling 

30th run defense

29th pass-rushing

15th coverage 

special teams was 30th

I'm surprised we were that high in tackling. If we could fucking tackle we would have won the 2nd Baltimore game. The pass rush grade to me just shows how we're a 1 man pass rushing team. We need someone other than Myles or occasionally Ogjunjobi to do it.Ogbah ain't that guy. 

Wed, Jan 2, 2019 9:50 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Jim Caldwell was interviewed today. I’m hoping the interview was for DC or something other than HC..

As a HC? Yikes, no thanks.

Wed, Jan 2, 2019 10:17 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

As a HC? Yikes, no thanks.

It was an interview for HC. Assuming that was their Rooney rule candidate..

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 7:20 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Those two coaches are the two last coaches I’d want hired. But the one thing I can’t call them is born losers. They are super bowl champs, that’s the literal opposite of born losers. 

Yeah, McCarthy isn't my top choice,   but calling him a born loser so far is the biggest reach of this 2019 thread.

posted by SportsAndLady

Anyone else think clay Matthews to Cleveland makes sense?

He isn't close to being as productive as he used to be, but if he came for a cheap deal why not?  It would be cool if his dad got selected for the HOF and then he (Mathews III) comes to Cleveland.

posted by SportsAndLady

It was an interview for HC. Assuming that was their Rooney rule candidate..

It has to be a Rooney rule candidate.  Dorsey isn't dumb enough to hire Caldwell.  He wasn't kidding about the wide net.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 7:47 AM

I'm not an advocate, at all, for Caldwell, but I don't get all the hate. The guy has a career winning record, coached a Super Bowl, had to dive on the grenade of a 2-14 season when Manning got injured and the dumbass owner (Irsay) tanked. Plus he lead Detroit, of all teams, to consecutive 9-7 records. He's not my choice but there could be worse.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 7:51 AM

I still find it hard to believe that Haslam is giving Dorsey total autonomy in the hiring of a HC. That being said, not only would I like to see him retain Robinson and Kitchens based on their success with this team, but it'd make fiscal sense too--their combined salaries probably wouldn't be as much as a high profile candidates (re Arians, McCarthy, etc)

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:13 AM
posted by vball10set

I still find it hard to believe that Haslam is giving Dorsey total autonomy in the hiring of a HC. That being said, not only would I like to see him retain Robinson and Kitchens based on their success with this team, but it'd make fiscal sense too--their combined salaries probably wouldn't be as much as a high profile candidates (re Arians, McCarthy, etc)

As COA mentioned earlier, as long as Mayfield is the QB and Kitchens is calling the plays, they can ride with Greg Robinson at LT. If you looked at his stats, he wasn't the problem. It was Hubbard who gave up 8.5 sacks and most, if not all of them, were when Hue & Haley were running the show. Robinson's biggest issue were penalties and even that wasn't terrible.

The thing I like about this group is that they have seemed to have "coached up" a couple of players (Robinson, Perriman) who were considered lost causes.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:26 AM
posted by vball10set

Assuming you meant Williams and kitchens? Not Robinson and kitchens?

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:28 AM

I don’t want Williams as HC. I respect what he did for this team this year and I appreciate all he’s done for Cleveland so far. But he made quite a bit of in-game mistakes and the overall defense did not end with quality numbers. 

I’d  love for him to stay on as DC but I doubt he would. He’ll get a HC offer. And good for him if he does. 

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:33 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I don’t want Williams as HC. I respect what he did for this team this year and I appreciate all he’s done for Cleveland so far. But he made quite a bit of in-game mistakes and the overall defense did not end with quality numbers. 

I’d  love for him to stay on as DC but I doubt he would. He’ll get a HC offer. And good for him if he does. 

Case in point this last game during the Njoku non TD catch.  He waits for the play call to run out and instead of challenging the play, he calls a timeout.  WTF?  

That's the type of in game decision making that can cost games.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:35 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I'm not an advocate, at all, for Caldwell, but I don't get all the hate. The guy has a career winning record, coached a Super Bowl, had to dive on the grenade of a 2-14 season when Manning got injured and the dumbass owner (Irsay) tanked. Plus he lead Detroit, of all teams, to consecutive 9-7 records. He's not my choice but there could be worse.

Laley followed/follows the Colts the most on here.  I recall him not having favorable takes on Caldwell lol.

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:46 AM

I think the main thing to keep in mind, is Dorsey is trying to find a super bowl-caliber head coach. He’s not just trying to find a  “respectable” HC which is what Williams and Caldwell would be. He knows that with baker, and especially baker on his rookie contract, we have a window to win a SB in the next few years so he’s trying to find a HC that can get that done, not one that we should all be impressed by because he led Detroit to two 9-7 seasons. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:49 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I think Williams strongest trait that he brought to the team was discipline. I think (don't know) that they cut down on penalties during his run as the interim. Other than that, he didn't do much else to impress as his defense regressed from last year with much better talent.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:49 AM
posted by like_that

Laley followed/follows the Colts the most on here.  I recall him not having favorable takes on Caldwell lol.

Oh, I get that....just saying there is worse out there.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login