Progressives, part 3...

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 4:29 PM
posted by gut

You can easily say that about most of the Repubs, too, and especially MAGA.

It's largely why we are where we are today, because politics has become a spectator sport and the politards won't hold their party accountable for the same things they abhor when the other side does it.

Trump did or tried to do a lot of the same things Dems are doing to him, and the whole time the Repubs and their base largely look the other way.

But, hey, I like to rubberneck at a good car wreck as much as anyone, so I'm looking forward to the Dem meltdown when Trump wins.

It's also pretty interesting that SCOTUS left the door open for Trump to be removed by an act of Congress.  For that to happen, Dems would have to gain 66 (67?) seat in the Senate in 2026, assuming they control the House.  But I don't believe one party has ever controlled 2/3 of the Senate, certainly not in modern times.

Wins what - the primary? Most likely.

President? Nope

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 6:50 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Who said Dems were bad and at the same time that the Republicans were good?

QO?

Not so much dems and reps, more liberals and conservatives let’s say.  And in my experience the more committed of these absolutely subscribe to a philosophy that their team is pure and the other evil.  I personally don’t believe either side greatly outnumbers the other and that 99% of the work of the political parties is intended to affect these segments.

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 7:27 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Not so much dems and reps, more liberals and conservatives let’s say.  And in my experience the more committed of these absolutely subscribe to a philosophy that their team is pure and the other evil.  I personally don’t believe either side greatly outnumbers the other and that 99% of the work of the political parties is intended to affect these segments.

Weird, roundabout way of saying that what the Dems are doing is bad and they shouldn't be doing it, but I accept the verbage.

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 8:30 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Weird, roundabout way of saying that what the Dems are doing is bad and they shouldn't be doing it, but I accept the verbage.

I’d change your sentence to say both Dems and Reps are doing bad and they shouldn’t be doing it.  Thinking either side is better than the other is the thinking that has gotten exactly where we are.

Wed, Mar 6, 2024 1:15 AM

I’d change your sentence to say both Dems and Reps are doing bad and they shouldn’t be doing it.  Thinking either side is better than the other is the thinking that has gotten exactly where we are.

What are the reps doing to Biden that closely resembles political persecution, raids on his close associates homes, the lawfare, etc? 

See, this has been my point- nobody who even slightly leans left can say "what the Dems are doing is bad and they shouldn't be doing it". 

Just can't do it.

Instead we get the both sides, the whataboutism and so on. I voted for Gary Johnson and have no problem saying that he's one of those vapid potheads who don't articulate their message very well. It really isn't difficult to point out the bad things in politics, even if it's your team and/or somebody you voted for. But for whatever reason, people on this site can't bring themselves to admit the obvious. 

I can only guess that maybe it feels too much like a betrayal to what they really want to believe in.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 6, 2024 10:24 PM

lol the governor of NY is sending the National Guard to the NYC subway bc their soft on crime policies are failing. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Mar 6, 2024 11:40 PM
posted by iclfan2

lol the governor of NY is sending the National Guard to the NYC subway bc their soft on crime policies are failing. 

Meanwhile, Chicago is gearing up for the DNC with "constitutional policing".

LOL, wut?!?

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 12:56 PM
posted by iclfan2

Of course! They are showcasing how to shove it up Trump's ass by favoring the criminal instead of the victims. How else could it be done?!

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 12:43 PM

So NYC has brought in military to basically stop and frisk everyone on the public transits. 

Does this mean that NYC is no longer a sanctuary city? If it still is, sanctuary from who, exactly?

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 11, 2024 12:46 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So NYC has brought in military to basically stop and frisk everyone on the public transits. 

Does this mean that NYC is no longer a sanctuary city? If it still is, sanctuary from who, exactly?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-york-deploy-750-national-guard-soldiers-check-bags-subway-2024-03-06/

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 4:34 PM
posted by Automatik

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-york-deploy-750-national-guard-soldiers-check-bags-subway-2024-03-06/

I find it entertaining that Hochul doesn't want statistics talked about because they are not reassuring, but Adams does talk about them because they are reassuring. They probably should talk to each other before making statements or answering any questions. 

By the way, when I said 'stop and frisk everyone' it was to make clear that there is there is no discrimination or racist angle for Dems to make. If anybody assumed I meant, literally, every person that is unfortunate. 

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 4:35 PM
posted by iclfan2

Seems racist.

Hopefully nobody will be insipid enough to say that in a serious manner lol (in before Sharpton!)

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 4:47 PM

And Twitter being in an uproar because Biden apologized for calling Laken Riley's murderer an illegal immigrant instead of "undocumented".

I'm not sure who his apology was directed towards. From what I saw the Dems are split on this - some upset and some not. I don't think anybody should be upset NOW, since this is nothing new. Maybe he could have just nonchalantly adjusted his statement without mentioning remorse/regret. I personally would rather the guy be called a motherfucking murderous piss bag. You know, what he really is. We have enough of those already without aiding and abetting illegal immigrants as political vote harvesting.

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 7:18 PM

Hope the Deadspin staff can learn to code. Can’t imagine a worse career to aspire to than what “journalism” he become these days. 

Mon, Mar 11, 2024 7:22 PM
posted by iclfan2

Hope the Deadspin staff can learn to code. Can’t imagine a worse career to aspire to than what “journalism” he become these days. 

I never got in to deadspin. On one hand I don't like to see people lose their jobs. On the other hand, I know full well that the medias only cared when the job losses happened to other people.

All of this to say - tomorrow is Tuesday.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 11, 2024 7:54 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don't know what they teach these days, but seems obvious the classic "just the facts" hard news piece is all but dead.  You can't hardly blame a recent college grad having to "play ball" with the editorial slant of their organization to earn a living.

Probably not too much cognitive dissonance since most, at the end of the day, are advocating for what they believe.

Seems we are getting closed to the inflection point where it whips back in the other direction.  I think we may be about to go through a generation where people highly distrust the media and sciences.  Only took about 20-25 years to get here, at least that seems like when it became blatant with the rise of the rock star academic going on whichever news program appealing to their own authority to advance whatever narrative they're paid to.

Tue, Mar 12, 2024 7:26 AM

This thread always seems to reinforce my impression that a huge chunk of left-wings media’s audience is angry /bitter conservatives looking to fuel their outrage.  Maybe I’m wrong, but the only time I hear about the NYT, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, etc. is when conservatives bring them up in discussions like this.  My opinion is perhaps these outlets peddle in these kinds of stories the keep the outrage brigade as loyal followers.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 12, 2024 11:09 AM

This thread always seems to reinforce my impression that a huge chunk of left-wings media’s audience is angry /bitter conservatives looking to fuel their outrage.  Maybe I’m wrong, but the only time I hear about the NYT, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, etc. is when conservatives bring them up in discussions like this.  My opinion is perhaps these outlets peddle in these kinds of stories the keep the outrage brigade as loyal followers.  

You might be correct, bunch of Rs watching CNN/MSNBC to see how stupid they are, and a bunch of Ds watching Fox to see how stupid they are.

Feasible.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 12, 2024 11:23 AM
posted by jmog

You might be correct, bunch of Rs watching CNN/MSNBC to see how stupid they are, and a bunch of Ds watching Fox to see how stupid they are.

Feasible.

Seems like it to me. As someone who watches none of the above, most of the talk I hear/read about any of them comes from people opposed to their political slants looking to bitch about them. It's a lot more rare to see someone talking about how much they love the shows/personalities on Fox or MSNBC and can't get enough of their viewpoints.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login