Progressives, part 3...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 11:29 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/politics/football-coach-prayer-high-school-supreme-court-kennedy/index.html

Don't worry guys.. the praying is optional. Just like the optional workouts. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 11:47 AM
posted by kizer permanente

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/politics/football-coach-prayer-high-school-supreme-court-kennedy/index.html

So the SCOTUS proved its Freedom OF Religion and not Freedom FROM Religion.

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 11:50 AM
posted by jmog

So the SCOTUS proved its Freedom OF Religion and not Freedom FROM Religion.

Uh huh. This SCOTUS is bound an determined to prove to everyone it seems? 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 11:57 AM

Im sure there would be no uproar if this was a muslim prayer

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:00 PM
posted by geeblock

Im sure there would be no uproar if this was a muslim prayer

I can't wait for it lol. Muslim coaches bringing out a prayer rug to midfield and old ladies gasping for air as they faint. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:08 PM
posted by geeblock

lol same guy who lost his shit and refused to wear a mask when the state asked him too

Elected representatives didn't have a say as I recall.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:08 PM

Cute headline by CNN. This is up here with the faux cc and Quaker outrage. If he isn’t forcing players to pray with him, what is the issue?

This happens at public schools all the time for most sports and it’s normally voluntary, if not there would be serious issues. 

The fact it even made it to the SCOTUS is a joke regardless if he was praising Jesus or Muhammad. 

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:11 PM
posted by like_that

Cure headline by CNN. This is up here with the faux cc and Quaker outrage. If he isn’t forcing players to pray with him, what is the issue?

This happens at public schools all the time for most sports and it’s normally voluntary, if not there would be serious issues. 

The fact it even made it to the SCOTUS is a joke regardless if he was praising Jesus or Muhammad. 

the issue is the point i brought up.. you have an authority figure leading prayer. Off season workouts are optional too.. you just don't play if you don't go to them. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:24 PM

I can't wait for it lol. Muslim coaches bringing out a prayer rug to midfield and old ladies gasping for air as they faint. 

Same energy as the idiots being like what if blacks were legally armed in the streets! Ok, terms accepted.

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:25 PM

the issue is the point i brought up.. you have an authority figure leading prayer. Off season workouts are optional too.. you just don't play if you don't go to them. 

You’re telling me instead of relying on my ability to get a full ride in football, all I had to do was join the team prayer? Smfh.

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:27 PM

So, then you would be ok with it?

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:28 PM
posted by like_that

You’re telling me instead of relying on my ability to get a full ride in football, all I had to do was join the team prayer? Smfh.

No I'm telling you if you didn't go to optional workouts that werent really optional you weren't going to play lol.. or did you not play football?

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:29 PM
posted by like_that

So, then you would be ok with it?

I'm ok with either as long as you're fired for actually coercing players or punishing them by not going. 

I personally wouldn't put myself in the position to be accused of it to begin with b/c I'm not stupid though? 

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:33 PM

No I'm telling you if you didn't go to optional workouts that werent really optional you weren't going to play lol.. or did you not play football?

Yeah, no shit. Did you play football?  Team prayers are very common on most teams (not just in football).  I’m on board with you if he actually coerced them into doing it, but something tells me that every HS athletic team isn’t being coerced to pray for playing time. Like I said, this is up there with qo and cc faux outrage. 

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:36 PM
posted by like_that

Yeah, no shit. Did you play football?  Team prayers are very common on most teams (not just in football).  I’m on board with you if he actually coerced them into doing it, but something tells me that every HS athletic team isn’t being coerced to pray for playing time. Like I said, this is up there with qo and cc faux outrage. 

I went to parochial schools so of course we did. Public school is a different animal though. My former coach lost his job at a public school for it. And not saying this guy would.. but also not saying a guy who makes it a point to go to mid field to pray so everyone can see him pray wouldn't. 

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:36 PM

And if we are doing whataboutism, there is no doubt that you and gblock would be celebrating if this case were about taking a knee during the anthem. Try to be consistent for me, just once.

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:42 PM
posted by like_that

And if we are doing whataboutism, there is no doubt that you and gblock would be celebrating if this case were about taking a knee during the anthem. Try to be consistent for me, just once.

I don't see how that case could ever make it to Supreme Court? This did by separation of church and state. 

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:45 PM

I went to parochial schools so of course we did. Public school is a different animal though. My former coach lost his job at a public school for it. And not saying this guy would.. but also not saying a guy who makes it a point to go to mid field to pray so everyone can see him pray wouldn't. 

If we are going by anecdotes, I went to public school and coached at public schools. Not to mention competed/coaches against both public and private (I am sure you did as well).  Never once did I see anyone get forced into prayer. You’re making this case seem like it will lead to some grand pray to play scheme.

If you want to argue that the coach is a douche for doing it so publicly, go for it. That’s your opinion. As for the case, it should have been 9-0, regardless of who he was praying for.

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:49 PM
posted by like_that

If we are going by anecdotes, I went to public school and coached at public schools. Not to mention competed/coaches against both public and private (I am sure you did as well).  Never once did I see anyone get forced into prayer. You’re making this case seem like it will lead to some grand pray to play scheme.

If you want to argue that the coach is a douche for doing it so publicly, go for it. That’s your opinion. As for the case, it should have been 9-0, regardless of who he was praying for.

I can see your point and agree with you I guess  

Mon, Jun 27, 2022 12:53 PM

I can see your point and agree with you I guess  

I will also agree that if there was clear evidence he coerced them then it should have been 9-0 against him.  That would have been a violation of those kids’ 1st amendment rights to not pray.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login