Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 4:37 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

That would be a good outcome.

It would be and that is the current actual reality when someone takes 5 seconds to think and use google rather than screaming at the sky in anguish. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 4:48 PM
posted by geeblock
I dont think you have to go all scorched earth into exaggerations and falsehoods to find millions of people who simply feel that they have a right to privacy and a right to control their own body without the gov't interference.  I do agree this could cost the GOP an election tho.

Sure, they don't have to go crazy with exaggerations and falsehoods, but if we're talking about politicians in this day and age, it's essentially a guarantee that's going to happen.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:09 PM
posted by jmog

The 2 million couples on waiting lists for abortion will take care of the immediate “triage” need. The babies won’t end up in the foster care system like Kizer believes.

First of all not all babies will be healthy and those babies don’t get adopted. Especially those born addicted. Also this is anecdotal but a girl from my high school and one in college threw their baby in a dumpster so I’m sure this will increase as well. So it’s not a fairytale ending for unwanted babies as you would paint it. You aren’t incorrect that most black babies that are healthy are likely to be adopted. 

geeblock Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:12 PM
posted by jmog

The right to your own body argument for the left isn’t valid anymore with how they wanted to force vaccines and masks. You can’t have it on one topic and not the other.

Again I don’t think it was the left who made the argument right to your own body. It was the right. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:21 PM
posted by jmog

It would be and that is the current actual reality when someone takes 5 seconds to think and use google rather than screaming at the sky in anguish. 

It’s not a “reality”.  It hasn’t happened yet.  All these babies getting adopted would be great, but it’s a hypothetical until the time comes.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:22 PM
posted by geeblock

Again I don’t think it was the left who made the argument right to your own body. It was the right. 

Were you asleep for 2 years?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:35 PM
posted by geeblock

Sure, sure.  Cops are murdering black people, too.  Goodness.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 5:59 PM

So far on this thread you have insinuations of racism, misogyny, and a "please sir can I have some more" attitude towards children.  All false distractions from the argument, does the constitution grant the federal government authority in this matter? 

Are there any pro life politicians advocating that the laws governing abortion in Texas or Alabama be compelled by the federal government on all 330+ million of its citizens?

geeblock Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 6:04 PM
posted by iclfan2

Were you asleep for 2 years?

Huh? The right has absolutely said my body my choice last two years. I know because I did not disagree.. my point is that the vast majority of people in this country on the right and left support roe vs wade. Given how close the elections were I think it will hurt gop. Imo people who voted red didn’t know they were voting to repeal roe v wade. Maybe I’m wrong. I believe in thr right to privacy in this matter. Unconditionally. I hate govt and we def don’t need more laws. 

A lot of people need to go back and look at their posts the last two years tho because they seem to now support thr govt controlling their medical decisions. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 4, 2022 6:33 PM

That’s the thing. I don’t want the government telling me anything. The federal government was the dumbasses about public transportation. The free states obviously got more people to travel to. The beaches here in SC did their best years ever. The majority of America does not believe in abortion after 15 weeks. A lot of nonsense being spewed. 

geeblock Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 7:34 PM
posted by iclfan2

That’s the thing. I don’t want the government telling me anything. The federal government was the dumbasses about public transportation. The free states obviously got more people to travel to. The beaches here in SC did their best years ever. The majority of America does not believe in abortion after 15 weeks. A lot of nonsense being spewed. 

This lost me..public transportation? Not sure what this means.. I will pay whatever for a monorail from Columbus to Cleveland and Pittsburgh or however it goes 

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 7:54 PM
posted by geeblock

First of all not all babies will be healthy and those babies don’t get adopted. Especially those born addicted. Also this is anecdotal but a girl from my high school and one in college threw their baby in a dumpster so I’m sure this will increase as well. So it’s not a fairytale ending for unwanted babies as you would paint it. You aren’t incorrect that most black babies that are healthy are likely to be adopted. 

Born with health problems are such a small percentage that’s it’s almost as bad an argument as the anecdotal ones. 

I saw a study that 99% of babies put up for adoption are adopted and don’t go into the foster system with 2 million+ couples still waiting.

There maybe a “drain” on the system with more “sick” babies not getting adopted that may have been aborted but to act like that will be a huge number and a drain on society is just not accurate based on the statistics.

Especially with 50+ percent of people live in blue/purple states that will never abolish abortion. 

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 7:55 PM
posted by geeblock

Left used it for their argument on abortion for decades.

The right used it as a joke to point out the hypocrisy of the left when they were wanting to force vaccines and masks.

Those are facts.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 8:04 PM

It’s not a “reality”.  It hasn’t happened yet.  All these babies getting adopted would be great, but it’s a hypothetical until the time comes.

2 million couples waiting for adoption.

900,000 abortions per year.

At most 40% of people will be in red states that would abolish abortion as no blue or purple states will ban it. Even if we assume no women cross state lines that means the 900,000 abortions per year only drops by 40%, making 360,000 new babies born per year.

With 2 million couples on the waiting list that’s 5 and a half years of non-aborted babies just to clean up the current waiting list.

So simple math makes it not just a hypothetical but the probable reality that would happen if abortion was banned this year in all red states.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 8:08 PM
posted by geeblock

Huh? The right has absolutely said my body my choice last two years. I know because I did not disagree.. my point is that the vast majority of people in this country on the right and left support roe vs wade. Given how close the elections were I think it will hurt gop. Imo people who voted red didn’t know they were voting to repeal roe v wade. Maybe I’m wrong. I believe in thr right to privacy in this matter. Unconditionally. I hate govt and we def don’t need more laws. 

A lot of people need to go back and look at their posts the last two years tho because they seem to now support thr govt controlling their medical decisions. 

You’re still wrong.

47% of people identify as pro life in a recent study I saw. 49% as pro choice and 4% said they didn’t understand (no idea how).

So it isn’t the vast majority that support RvW, that is just factually incorrect.

You would be right if you said the vast majority are at least ok with abortions in the cases of rape, incest, and mother’s life. Only the far extreme right is not ok with abortion in even those cases.

But the vast majority does not support RvW, like I said, its not even a majority and it’s barely a plurality.

geeblock Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 8:32 PM
posted by jmog

Left used it for their argument on abortion for decades.

The right used it as a joke to point out the hypocrisy of the left when they were wanting to force vaccines and masks.

Those are facts.

A joke? Lol Jesus 

geeblock Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 8:33 PM
posted by jmog

You’re still wrong.

47% of people identify as pro life in a recent study I saw. 49% as pro choice and 4% said they didn’t understand (no idea how).

So it isn’t the vast majority that support RvW, that is just factually incorrect.

You would be right if you said the vast majority are at least ok with abortions in the cases of rape, incest, and mother’s life. Only the far extreme right is not ok with abortion in even those cases.

But the vast majority does not support RvW, like I said, its not even a majority and it’s barely a plurality.

We will see

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 4, 2022 9:24 PM
posted by geeblock

We will see

This isn’t an opinion, this is based on studies. Almost half the country is pro-life even if that goes against your opinion

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, May 4, 2022 10:25 PM
posted by jmog

2 million couples waiting for adoption.

900,000 abortions per year.

At most 40% of people will be in red states that would abolish abortion as no blue or purple states will ban it. Even if we assume no women cross state lines that means the 900,000 abortions per year only drops by 40%, making 360,000 new babies born per year.

With 2 million couples on the waiting list that’s 5 and a half years of non-aborted babies just to clean up the current waiting list.

So simple math makes it not just a hypothetical but the probable reality that would happen if abortion was banned this year in all red states.

My question wasn’t based on the current laws being changed in some states.  It was to do with a scenario where abortion became illegal everywhere tomorrow.  Your statistics while interesting are not a fail safe predictor because they assume a lot.  There are probably subtleties and nuance to adoptions (things I’m certainly no expert on) that can’t be measured until the circumstances happen - which may not come to pass.  As well, there’s no saying how many woman that would have gotten abortions will opt to keep their babies rather than give them up - even if their household is not ideal.  

jmog Senior Member
Thu, May 5, 2022 1:00 AM

My question wasn’t based on the current laws being changed in some states.  It was to do with a scenario where abortion became illegal everywhere tomorrow.  Your statistics while interesting are not a fail safe predictor because they assume a lot.  There are probably subtleties and nuance to adoptions (things I’m certainly no expert on) that can’t be measured until the circumstances happen - which may not come to pass.  As well, there’s no saying how many woman that would have gotten abortions will opt to keep their babies rather than give them up - even if their household is not ideal.  

A scenario where abortion becomes illegal everywhere tomorrow is asinine and not even worth talking about.

That is unless you don’t understand the leaked possible ruling and the Constitution.

If the ruling is true it relinquishes the law to the states just like it was before RvW. 

Knowing that reality, and combining that zero blue states and 99% change no purple states will overturn their laws, my numbers are right about what reality will look like.

Sorry, I try to live in the real world not in some dystopian fantasy that isn’t real.

The ruling, if real, says states choose, less than 40% of the people live in deep red states, so my numbers are about as accurate as can be. 

Even if it was 100% illegal everywhere the adoption backlog would still last over 2 years. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login