2020 College football thread

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 19, 2020 8:56 PM
posted by wildcats20

I don’t think they belong, but I would not at all be surprised to see ND on that 4 line tomorrow. 

If you aren’t giving Cincinnati a shot (which, clearly they aren’t) I think ND has a better argument than A&M. But can’t really complain either way. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 19, 2020 9:32 PM
posted by Laley23

If you aren’t giving Cincinnati a shot (which, clearly they aren’t) I think ND has a better argument than A&M. But can’t really complain either way.

Not sure I agree.  NDU got blown out much later in the year, by another playoff team, than A&M did.  The argument for NDU is they also beat Clemson a month ago, but I have to knock that a good bit as it was at home, vs. the backup QB, in double OT.

Also, you have to consider how disrupted it was for a lot of schools early in the year with practice because of Covid.  Although I don't think A&M would have been as affected as the Big Ten teams.

I think I'd rather see A&M of the two.  No interest in a potential third NDU/Clemson tilt, but A&M getting a re-match against Bama is marginally better.

Sat, Dec 19, 2020 9:53 PM

It would be ND vs Bama. So no rematch. Unless both won, in which case good call by committee. 

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 19, 2020 10:08 PM
posted by cat_lover

Trey Sermon with the school rushing record!!!

331 yards?

Damn, that’s impressive!  

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 19, 2020 10:55 PM

Assuming Alabama wins, think it’s:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Ohio State

4. Notre Dame

I think Clemson should be #1, but they’ll stay at #2 to avoid a third matchup with ND. 

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 3:50 AM
posted by Laley23

It would be ND vs Bama. So no rematch. Unless both won, in which case good call by committee. 

No....NDU already lost that championship game today.  I don't care if they win it all - they played themselves out of that ticket.  Either games matter, or we just pick whomever we like.

I'll say again - if you lose your conference championship you have no business in the playoff.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 6:59 AM
posted by gut

No....NDU already lost that championship game today.  I don't care if they win it all - they played themselves out of that ticket.  Either games matter, or we just pick whomever we like.

I'll say again - if you lose your conference championship you have no business in the playoff.

So you don't want ND in because they didn't win their conference championship game, but you want A&M who didn't even get to the conference championship game?

Sun, Dec 20, 2020 9:52 AM
posted by gut

First of all, if your going to add a damn U to ND, it goes it front.

Secondly, fine. Argue that point till your blue in the face. But it hasn’t been that way since the CFP started. And certainly not if the teams split like this...

Sun, Dec 20, 2020 9:57 AM

But hey, Let’s let A&M and their best win over 3-loss Florida by 3 points in. 

It’s splitting hairs between the 2, imo. But too often teams making the title game have been punished versus the the team sitting at home, that’s gotta end. Especially when the loss by ND still keeps them in discussion and they have the best win and second best win, between them

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 10:13 AM
posted by gut

How did NDU put 47 on this defense last time?  They are getting destroyed.

Clemson was missing quite a few defensive players the first time around. Sunshine just got all the attention.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 11:10 AM
posted by Laley23

First of all, if your going to add a damn U to ND, it goes it front.

Secondly, fine. Argue that point till your blue in the face. But it hasn’t been that way since the CFP started. And certainly not if the teams split like this...

Yeah, I don't care "how it's been" it doesn't make it right.  I acknowledge how they do it, but I'm still going to complain.  Sorry, I didn't get your memo that I'm not allowed to complain about how it's done.

And NDU is how it appears on the NCAA Tourney brackets.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 11:13 AM
posted by Al Bundy

So you don't want ND in because they didn't win their conference championship game, but you want A&M who didn't even get to the conference championship game?

No, I don't want A&M in, either.  I was only saying they have a slightly better argument than NDU if conference championships don't matter.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 11:31 AM

1. Ohio State won with a one-man offense yesterday. Good thing that the defense was really good after giving up the super-quick first TD and forced a team that doesn't beat themselves with mistakes to beat themselves with mistakes. Fields looked lost without Olave there and the other receivers didn't do anything to step up for the most part. At least, I have to give credit to the coaches for realizing how things were in the second half and making Sermon the entire offense. Bucks couldn't pass it and NW couldn't stop him, so they played to their strengths down the stretch instead of constantly trying to force stuff that wasn't working on that day (aka: Urban's one big weakness while he was there).

2. So, is Dan Mullen still crying about how Florida should be in the playoffs because they played a lot of games? Just wondering, because he seems like the kind of guy who would.

3. I'd guess ND will get in because of their name, but they showed today that they're the same ND they usually are: the paper tigers who get housed when they play top-level competition in crunch time.

4. If nothing else, the playoffs have the potential to be entertaining just because this year has been so fucked up you don't know what you're getting. OSU could be down a bunch of players (and if one of them is Olave, well, that's already shown it'll fuck up the pass game), Alabama has given up 40+ either two or three times this season, which is out of the norm. Any possible fourth team has big warts. Hell, with Ohio State's two wins over good teams being ugly either defensively (Indiana) or offensively (NW) and with Fields having poor overall numbers in both -- 5 total picks between the two; more than he's had in the rest of his career combined -- you could say that they have big warts as a selection, too.

5. Also, good on the powers that be for telling California to get fucked and, tradition be damned, the Rose Bowl is being moved. Absolutely stupid to not allow at least players' families to be in the stands. That stadium is big enough you could have every individual family member socially distanced and still have plenty of room for everyone.

6. Finally, this season shows why we need an 8-team playoff instead of 4. WITH the stipulation that any non-power conference team that is ranked in the top whatever has to get in. It's just hilariously sad watching the committee not even trying to be subtle with bumping Cincy and Coastal down in the polls despite being unbeaten, simply to make sure they have no chance to be ranked in the top 4, regardless of what other teams actually do.

Sun, Dec 20, 2020 12:37 PM
posted by gut

And NDU is how it appears on the NCAA Tourney brackets.

Ive never seen NDU until you typed it on this thread, but if that’s what they put they are morons.

Glad to see UOS get the 3 seed though. 

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Dec 20, 2020 12:41 PM

Oklahoma lol committee. LOL. 

Sun, Dec 20, 2020 3:26 PM

Indiana and Coastal get shut out from New Year’s 6. Pretty shitty.

Sun, Dec 20, 2020 11:20 PM
posted by wildcats20

Indiana and Coastal get shut out from New Year’s 6. Pretty shitty.

Indiana got fucked. Northwestern getting to play OSU yesterday somehow helped them, even though Indiana gave them a closer game with all of their players.

3 lose teams in NY6 games because of names is getting old. They need to have stipulations on these games.

Mon, Dec 21, 2020 6:48 AM
posted by Laley23

Indiana got fucked. Northwestern getting to play OSU yesterday somehow helped them, even though Indiana gave them a closer game with all of their players.

3 lose teams in NY6 games because of names is getting old. They need to have stipulations on these games.

Conference tie ins suck as well. I’m pumped for UNC to get the Orange Bowl, because I think they beat A&M; but they have no business in a NY6. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 8:30 AM
posted by Laley23

We get a shitty South Carolina team in a bowl, yet a 9-2 Army also got fucked as they are left with out a bowl due to no one available in the Independence Bowl. Outside of the top 4, this year has shown college football does not give a fuck about the non power 5 or even the non traditional brand. 

Mon, Dec 21, 2020 7:35 PM

9-2 Army gets their shot. Tennessee has Covid issues, so they dropped out of the Liberty Bowl. Army said they’d play, Liberty Bowl accepted. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login