Covid-19 discussion, continued...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Feb 10, 2022 12:19 PM
posted by geeblock

I thought you were against people blocking highways for protests?

No. Just when teh blak guyz do it. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 10, 2022 1:35 PM
posted by geeblock

If they're Marxists, yes. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 9:01 AM
posted by geeblock

It's selective outrage.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 9:50 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

It's selective outrage.  

No, it's not.  It is based on philosophical, political, economic, and moral principles. 

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 10:44 AM
posted by QuakerOats

No, it's not.  It is based on philosophical, political, economic, and moral principles. 

Economic principles?  15 % of the Canadian truckers don't want to get vaccinated, so entire industries on both sides of the border get strangled.  That's a big price all of us are paying just because someone doesn't want to be told what to do - a lot bigger than the price of the burned out buildings from the riots last year that had you off the rails. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 11:02 AM

Economic principles?  15 % of the Canadian truckers don't want to get vaccinated, so entire industries on both sides of the border get strangled. 

While I think it's a stupid hill to die on, there's literally zero reason to make truckers get vaccinated.
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 11:13 AM
posted by gut
While I think it's a stupid hill to die on, there's literally zero reason to make truckers get vaccinated.

I agree with that opinion.  But there are a lot of unfair policies and rules in place here and abroad.  I don't have any warm feelings about these "Freedom" fighters being anything special.  As is said many times, if they don't like the working conditions there, find someplace else to work.  

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 11:21 AM
 As is said many times, if they don't like the working conditions there, find someplace else to work.  

And go where, exactly?  This is not an employer or industry mandate, it's a bad govt policy that can't be escaped simply by changing jobs.  It's literally one of the few jobs one can do safely WITHOUT being vaccinated.

It's basically get vaccinated, or don't work.  Anywhere.

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 11:47 AM
posted by gut

And go where, exactly?  This is not an employer or industry mandate, it's a bad govt policy that can't be escaped simply by changing jobs.  It's literally one of the few jobs one can do safely WITHOUT being vaccinated.

It's basically get vaccinated, or don't work.  Anywhere.

Much like last year's BLM riots, I don't see this a a exercise in free speech.  Based upon vaccination rates, most Canadian drivers are not in support.  It sure looks like a highly-orchestrated display.  Either way, fine.  But I don't see it as a bunch of patriots fighting for freedom anymore than I held that view of the rioters last summer.  

I have to travel internationally for my job.  I must get vaccinated to enter other countries.  I must be vaccinated to get back into the US.  I am free to not like that requirement, but I can find another job somewhere that does not have that requirement.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 1:52 PM

Economic principles?  15 % of the Canadian truckers don't want to get vaccinated, so entire industries on both sides of the border get strangled.  That's a big price all of us are paying just because someone doesn't want to be told what to do - a lot bigger than the price of the burned out buildings from the riots last year that had you off the rails. 

Copied from Social Media

This Convoy is not just for the truckers mandates.

It’s for the family members banned from visiting family in nursing homes.

It’s for the censorship on all social media platforms.

It’s for all the people afraid to speak in fear of being called conspiracy theorists.

It’s for the people who didn’t want to give up their freedom of choice!

It’s for the people who don’t want to give up their right to bear arms.

It’s for the people who don’t want to be in debt for the next 100 years.

It’s for the people who only want answers to the many questions that haven’t been answered.

It’s for the people afraid to hug their family and visit friends.

It’s for the people who want their lives back.

For the hairdressers to cut hair.

For the restaurants to serve food.

For the bars to play music.

For the students to learn.

For the kids to be free.

For people who want to work but are forced not to.

This is for the people.

This is for trying to silence honest and hardworking citizens.

Never in my life have I ever seen the healthy punished and the sick untreated.

This is for the 300,000 surgeries cancelled.
This is for the people that died waiting for their surgery.

This is for the people who died alone in the hospital without being able to hold that hands of their loved ones.

This is for the exhausted nurses, teachers, parents etc.

This is for the doctors that are going unheard.

This is for all the front line workers, delivery trucks, grocery store clerks, PSWs who are constantly working overtime etc.

This is for all of us.

If you do not support the truckers, IT’S OKAY because:

If mandates get lifted I would like to remind you…. you can still stay home. No one will rip the mask off your face, no one will force you to dine in at a restaurant, you can drop your children off at their leisure activity and wait in your car, you can still say no to family gatherings and events, you can live within your 4 walls and NO ONE will stop you. We will not judge you for your choice – we will just be glad you have one. That is the point of FREEDOM of choice! While you’re comfortable where you are we are also comfortable moving on with our lives.

Sincerely
A member of the small fringe minority with unacceptable views

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 3:08 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Copied from Social Media

It’s for all the people afraid to speak in fear of being called conspiracy theorists.

It’s for the people who only want answers to the many questions that haven’t been answered.

For the kids to be free.

This is for the people.

This is for the people who died alone in the hospital without being able to hold that hands of their loved ones.

This is for all the front line workers, delivery trucks, grocery store clerks, PSWs who are constantly working overtime etc.

This is for all of us.

If mandates get lifted I would like to remind you…. you can still stay home. No one will rip the mask off your face, no one will force you to dine in at a restaurant, you can drop your children off at their leisure activity and wait in your car, you can still say no to family gatherings and events, you can live within your 4 walls and NO ONE will stop you. We will not judge you for your choice – we will just be glad you have one. That is the point of FREEDOM of choice! While you’re comfortable where you are we are also comfortable moving on with our lives.

Sincerely

That is a lot of bullshit. A lot of those activities can be done now. 

Also, some of those groups  are imploring people to get vaccines, so if you really care about them then get vaccinated. 

You really care about the nurses and overworked people...get vaccinated as that is what they have been asking for.

It is funny as you support the truckers mainly because they align with your political view. Civil disobedience is fine just as long as it aligned with your point of view. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 4:19 PM

It is fine if it is pursuit of freedom, as opposed to tyranny.

And there is nothing funny about it. 

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 4:26 PM
posted by QuakerOats

It is fine if it is pursuit of freedom, as opposed to tyranny.

And there is nothing funny about it. 

It is fine as long as they adhere to your definition and your own view of the pursuit of freedom. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 4:57 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

It is fine as long as they adhere to your definition and your own view of the pursuit of freedom. 

I disagree with blocking traffic in general, bc I’d run someone down. That said, protesting for a mandate to end something that literally impacts your ability to make a living is a lot different then protesting for an overall ideal of stop racism, with no actual solution. 

Either way, if you’re for vaccine or mask mandates you’re the enemy. And if you’re for kids being masked at school you’re a monster, and those that implemented and continued it should be punished. 

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 5:05 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Copied from Social Media

For the kids to be free.

This is for the people.

This is for all of us.

Sincerely

Those are just a bunch of platitudes - similar to the kinds of bullshit that get thrown out when BLM people march.  This “small minority” is negatively affecting working people’s ability to make a living more than any antifa dumpster fire.  Just because they cloak themselves in flags and name their thing “Freedom” doesn’t mean they are heroic patriots.

They don’t bother me since I don’t live there.  But I’d be fucking pissed if my business relied on moving stuff over that bridge and I was prohibited from doing it because these people have decided their problem is more important than anyone else’s.  

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 11, 2022 6:02 PM

Don’t give your kids an experimental drug for a disease they have almost no chance of dying from…

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 6:38 PM
posted by iclfan2

I disagree with blocking traffic in general, bc I’d run someone down. That said, protesting for a mandate to end something that literally impacts your ability to make a living is a lot different then protesting for an overall ideal of stop racism, with no actual solution. 

Either way, if you’re for vaccine or mask mandates you’re the enemy. And if you’re for kids being masked at school you’re a monster, and those that implemented and continued it should be punished. 

Huh ok. The enemy and a monster huh? Sounds pretty absolute in your mind. I'm not in a position to call someone I disagree with a monster or the enemy, but you do you. 

I'm ok with private businesses mandating the vaccine, and the courts are ruling about how far the  government can go. 

I don't have kids, but do realize mask in schools are not effective. 

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 6:40 PM

Those are just a bunch of platitudes - similar to the kinds of bullshit that get thrown out when BLM people march.  This “small minority” is negatively affecting working people’s ability to make a living more than any antifa dumpster fire.  Just because they cloak themselves in flags and name their thing “Freedom” doesn’t mean they are heroic patriots.

They don’t bother me since I don’t live there.  But I’d be fucking pissed if my business relied on moving stuff over that bridge and I was prohibited from doing it because these people have decided their problem is more important than anyone else’s.  

Agreed. I haven't followed the story closely, but I'd be pissed if I was a business and it is impacting my bottom line. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login